Commercial Project

KellyJohnsonKellyJohnson Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited April 21, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I have a potential client who wants me to do a photo shoot for them so they can use the images commercially. They are planning on making an instructional DVD using the images and are planning on selling the DVDs.

I don' t normally do commercial work, I just have a portrait business. I have never thought about what to charge for a commercial project. I know I am able to shoot the photos, however, I am unsure about being involved in the project because the DVD is relating to the medical field, specifically pregnancy/labor/delivery. Are there any liability issues that I need to be concerned with?

If I decide to do the photo shoot, do I charge a fee up front for commercial use of my photos/resale or ask for a part of the profit from sales (or both)?

Any thoughts or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    My basic thoughts are:

1. Ensure you have model releases for everyone, even if it's just a belly.

2. Negotiate fees for taking and processing the images. (Time, materials, equipment, processing, etc.)

3. Charge a use fee. Trying to tie it into profits is way too complicated and fraught with problems.

There is nothing wrong with asking them what their budget is as well as what their planned distribution is.

As an example if their budget is $1.98 and they plan on making 10 copies you probably won't be able to do the shoot.

You do want to have an idea of their expectation, the amount of work involved, and if they have a realilistic budget.

Sam
  • KellyJohnsonKellyJohnson Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Thanks for your reply Sam. That is what I will do.