Options

PP book suggestions?

MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited May 3, 2010 in Technique
So, there are books on how to take pictures, and books/manuals on how to use photoshop. But are there any books on how to creatively use photoshop? Editing for effects or look? Like old film styles, or looks, etc?

Cause I can't seem to find any. And I guess it would be nicer if a collection of common styles and looks were in one book, instead of having to google random terms.
Audentes fortuna iuvat

Comments

• Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    If you poke around the Internet you'll find tons and tons of articles and videos on how to do various things. Google is your friend on this. I've found some very cool things this way and it's much cheaper than buying a book which may (or may not) be useful. :D
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Mnemosyne wrote:
    So, there are books on how to take pictures, and books/manuals on how to use photoshop. But are there any books on how to creatively use photoshop? Editing for effects or look? Like old film styles, or looks, etc?

Cause I can't seem to find any. And I guess it would be nicer if a collection of common styles and looks were in one book, instead of having to google random terms.
    I've always found it difficult to read about Photoshop I think it's easier to watch videos. This site is very good. The first few tutorials are free and then it's $30 a month.. you can learn a whole lot in a month. I've used them many times over the years. They are very good about cancellations too at the end of your time. No problems at all.
    Hope this helps. There are others out there of course.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    lynnma wrote:
    I've always found it difficult to read about Photoshop I think it's easier to watch videos. This site is very good. The first few tutorials are free and then it's $30 a month.. you can learn a whole lot in a month. I've used them many times over the years. They are very good about cancellations too at the end of your time. No problems at all.
    Hope this helps. There are others out there of course.

here's another link
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 21, 2010
    I can think of several

Kelby "7 Point System for Adobe Photoshop CS3"

Katrin Eisman et al "The Creative Digital Darkroom"

Davis and Davis "The Photoshop Darkroom"

Huggins "Creative Photoshop Lighting Techniques"

Caplin "How to Cheat in Photoshop"

Huggins et al "Surreal Digital Photography"

You are familiar with McNally's books.

I do not know of a single book for a broad range of image adjustments. I think it is a continuing learning experience.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    http://www.photoshopgirl.com has some very useful, interactive, Adobe Creative videos on how to do simple photoshop things.
  • Options
    MnemosyneMnemosyne Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Dad, I'm not talking about color correction, sharpening etc. I'm talking more creative stuff. Like recreating litho prints, or film styles of different decades. Or recreating sun dried damage, or water damage. etc. Beyond basic editing. Plus I think you have bought me 90% of those books already :D

Thanks Sword, I'll check that one out.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat