Options

Congratulations ghinson for the DSS #48 (Lo-Fi digital [SOOC]) Winning Photo!

sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
edited April 26, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Super interpretations everyone! I am pleased to see several of you created something very close to what I had in mind when creating the challenge. Even more of you pushed things further and created things I could not even begin to imagine! Absolutely amazing!

Your Lo-Fi Interpretors Velvet-Art and slpollett, agreed on three images, giving you 17 finalists to choose from. Congratulations to all of you! :clap
The poll will remain open for 72 hours, and any previously registered member of DGrin may vote. :D

whiterice - the outsider
828671772_fAPKM-L.jpg

JAG - Disturbance In This Realm
829693654_SFyfq-L.jpg

simpsonbrothers - wonder
830380177_Tppqb-L.jpg

ghinson - Apple
831426870_rE6Aj-L.jpg

WhatSheSaw - Shell Game
832984031_3Zqgf-L.jpg

ilbcnu - reaching for radiance
833454033_DEXBY-L.jpg

michswiss - Girl with umbrella
833960341_mhf3g-L.jpg

Kidzmom - "Sundown: The hour of descent for our shining star"
834530567_stsew-L.jpg

Angela Davis - Numbers
836332500_yLyRn-L.jpg

silversx80 - Bella's Blooms
837174731_Z7REv-L.jpg

Eclipsed - Field of Vision
839035600_uUgLu-L.jpg

ic4u - Ordinary Miracle
839217509_jWXAE-L.jpg

kdotaylor - A long shelf life
839296900_oJ8zS-L.jpg

mr peas - "Smug Seeing Stars"
840554136_qZn4c-L.jpg

pyroPrints.com - twilight over concrete
840782349_3gt87-L.jpg

Beachbill - Dam Spirit
841255231_wAise-L.jpg

jwear - Love set match ,blooms
841360746_Bw3S9-L.jpg

Vote Vote Vote!

Vote for the DSS #48 (Lo-Fi digital [SOOC]) Winning Photo 104 votes

whiterice - the outsider
5% 6 votes
JAG - Disturbance In This Realm
14% 15 votes
simpsonbrothers - wonder
2% 3 votes
ghinson - Apple
14% 15 votes
WhatSheSaw - Shell Game
1% 2 votes
ilbcnu - reaching for radiance
0% 1 vote
michswiss - Girl with umbrella
6% 7 votes
Kidzmom - "Sundown: The hour of descent for our shining star"
4% 5 votes
Angela Davis - Numbers
12% 13 votes
silversx80 - Bella's Blooms
1% 2 votes
Eclipsed - Field of Vision
2% 3 votes
ic4u - Ordinary Miracle
5% 6 votes
kdotaylor - A long shelf life
9% 10 votes
mr peas - "Smug Seeing Stars"
2% 3 votes
pyroPrints.com - twilight over concrete
4% 5 votes
Beachbill - Dam Spirit
2% 3 votes
jwear - Love set match ,blooms
4% 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Congratulations to all the finalists!
    What a fun round and what original entries. I definately wasn't thinking outside the box, and you guys were, I'm almost ashamed. Can we have a do over? I'm definately inspired now.

This is going to be a tough voting round.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Wow, great stuff. I diggin' all the creativity. iloveyou.gif This will be a tough voting round...
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Congratulations everyone, and good luck to you! Hmmm, now which one to vote for?
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Congrats to all of the finalists! clap.gif

I am pleased that the judges included mine this round and (as usual) surprised at some of the omissions. Wonderful entries - congrats to all of those who gave the judges a tough time! thumb.gif

Now on to the really hard part - choosing my absolutely, very favorite ONE. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Awesome results! I have a few here I wish I can vote on twice or more, very creative topic matched with very creative photogs, I'm looking forward to the outcome.

On that note... let's go.. top 5 dead or alive!! clap.gif
  • Options
    ilbcnuilbcnu Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Wow I am honored!! Congrats to all and again truly honored to part of the finalists round.
    Amanda
    It is never to late to become what you might have been.
    www.behindthezoom.com
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 19, 2010
    congrates to all the finalists! Thank you judges for including mine. So many awesome images! Good luck!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Thanks for including me in the judgingiloveyou.gif
    A perfect ending to my day....(my birthday)!
    Congrats to all the finalists, all well deserved!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    ic4u wrote:
    A perfect ending to my day.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!clap.gif :ivar wings.gif
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    ic4u wrote:
    Thanks for including me in the judgingiloveyou.gif
    A perfect ending to my day....(my birthday)!
    Congrats to all the finalists, all well deserved!
    Seriously, what a cool burfday present. Congrats!
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Thank you judges it is great to make the finals , and as mr peas said this will be something to make the top 5 very interesting headscratch.gifeek7.gif good luck all and happy BDay
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Thank you judges for including my entry iloveyou.gif ! This round was a tough one for sure (seems to be a a Sean thing)! Really forcing one to dig deep to find a creative solution. I am honored to have my photo placed among all of these beautiful and creative shots. So many of the wonderful entries this round which have made my jaw drop. Really a wealth of creativity here. All of the entries were so wonderful and I'm even sad to see some shots didn't make it to the voting round. It must have been so difficult for the judges to choose. THANK YOU! :D
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Congratulations Everyone for making the voting round!!!! Wish I would have been in on this one, just got busy and had a dry spell on creative ideas so I didnt even attempt this time around :( . Now I'm gonna go vote and no one will know who I picked hahahahaaaa mwink.gif

Again.. Nice work everyone!!

Brandon
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Congrats to all the finalists on some really great images.
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    This round was a really hard one to be a judge. I had a tough time narrowing down from my top 24 and was stuck forever on a top 15. I just couldn't bring myself to trim further. I was really pleased to see that 4 of the last 5 I had to 'cut' were chosen by the other judge. I feel like I got 'bonus' selections, lol! mwink.gif Even then, there were a number of photos that I really liked that didn't make it to the voting round.

Everyone really did a fantastic job with this theme. You all are so awesome and I was honored to be one of your judges this round. I can't tell you how many times I said "Wow!" while reviewing the gallery. A round of applause for all the entrants...clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif .

Congrats to the finalists. Now, how do I narrow down to ONE vote?????

Sherry

ps: Oh, I will be loading my comments into the gallery over the next few days so be patient with me. My smugmug user name is 'psphotos' so that's how they will show up.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    It's so pleasing to make it to the voting round. Congrats and good luck to the other finalists! I'll add a comment in the unofficial feedback thread on my how I managed to get my entry.
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Congrats to all the finalists. Good stuff this round.

Happpy Birthday to Karin also.

peace
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Congratulations to the finalists clap.gif

Happy Birthday Karin! :bday
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Wow, I do not envy you judges. Everyone did so well with interpreting this challenge and there were so many roads taken. I am humbled that my entry was picked as a finalist.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    I'm happy to be in the finals. There were so many creative ideas...I'd like to vote for five or six!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    WOW! Awesome! Good luck everyone! thumb.gif
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Well deserved! Good stuff everyone! Congrats and good luck!
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    All good but wish for more creativity
    All these photos are good, if not great but I wish the judges would choose more creative entries. It seems in these contest's the "pretty pictures" are rewarded even though they may not be as creative.
    Specifically I am disappointed that CaiusMartius - Uprooted did not make it. Good gracious that is a great work of art, CaiusMartus please enter that photo in other contests.
    O.K. I am off my soap box now so good luck to all selected because they all are really good comps and great photos.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    PupWeb wrote:
    All these photos are good, if not great but I wish the judges would choose more creative entries. It seems in these contest's the "pretty pictures" are rewarded even though they may not be as creative.
    Specifically I am disappointed that CaiusMartius - Uprooted did not make it. Good gracious that is a great work of art, CaiusMartus please enter that photo in other contests.
    O.K. I am off my soap box now so good luck to all selected because they all are really good comps and great photos.

Good for you for coming forward and supporting your favourites! Seriously. These are peer evaluated comps thus the harder we are on ourselves the better the critique, judging and most importantly the images.

But, hasn't anyone told you yet that the judges are blind? It's a really common occurrence for some reason. I look forward to being blind for two weeks at some stage. Although, I doubt it will happen to me any time soon. Damn judges.
  • Options
    Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    PupWeb wrote:
    All these photos are good, if not great but I wish the judges would choose more creative entries.
    Hear hear, damn those blind judges, I demand a recount:D:D:D

It seems in these contest's the "pretty pictures" are rewarded even though they may not be as creative.

In all fairness, because this was a unique theme that was more about the method of capture and less about the subject ( in my "blind" view mwink.gif ), there was not many of the entries that I would have instantly said were "pretty". ( plenty of gritty ones though, lol )

I truely think that nearly every single entry in the gallery shows real creativity, some show more creativity in their method of capture, some show more creativity in the subject captured, and just a few showed creativity in both method and subject.

Of course, your definition ( and everybody else's ) of "creativity" and mine may well differ, in fact I hope they do, as the world would be a really boring place otherwise.

I really admire your conviction and passion, those are good things to have in your camera bag. I hope you have put your name down to be considered as a guest judge, and that you win a challenge and get to judge that way too as your passion would be a great asset to judging. But at the end of the day that'll just mean that you too will become one of those damn blind judges:D:D:D:D

Tim ( formally blind judge, now regaining lost sight :D:D )
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Yea, good point Tim
    For this theme creativity to me meant something that can not be done easily with lightroom, photoshop or other software, and also not any store bought lenses or filter. After all that is some one elses creativity packages up and sold.

You are correct sir about creativity, everyone's is different and that is the beauty of it.

My soap box was not just about this theme but themes in the past. I want this to be an area to really get us thinking outside the box. For us to rise to new levels. Nightpixels has done this for example.

Tim, I appreciated your critique of the entries. Well done.

BTW- I know there are blind judge('s) blind as in anonymous. What does that have to do with anything? The judges do select beautiful photos it is just IMO not the ones that push the creativity border more of the "traditional" images.
  • Options
    CaiusMartiusCaiusMartius Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    PupWeb wrote:

The fact that anyone appreciated what I came up with is reward enough. I received some nice comments and maybe inspired some people to seek out a hidden gem. That is a success in my book.

Thanks for your kind words.
    http://bedford.smugmug.com
    Gear: Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
  • Options
    Velvet-ArtVelvet-Art Registered Users Posts: 292 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    PupWeb wrote:
    BTW- I know there are blind judge('s) blind as in anonymous. What does that have to do with anything?

The "blind judges" have been an ongoing joke on the challenges for some time now. It isnt referring to anonymous judging, but rather it is referring ( in jest, hopefully ) is to the percieved blindness of the judges by the contestants.

Hence it is now the standing joke that the judges must be literally blind for not selecting the favourites that we feel should have been put through to the voting round. It has kinda spread from this thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=122160

Hope this explains when folks keep saying that the darn judges are blind:D:D

Tim
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Congratulations to the finalists!! Many of my favs are on the list. I've voted, with pleasure, and wish all of you good luck!

It was a fun round and gave me (and obviously others) a chance to play in a way that we haven't played before. Go Sean.:ivar

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    blind.spiderblind.spider Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2010
    Congrats to all!
    I've been more of a lurker here for a while, but I had to say something about these pics.
    BRILLIANT!

bowdown.gif
    Spidey