if you had a lil over $1000

eq2830eq2830 Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited April 21, 2010 in Cameras
Which Canon lens would you buy?? I am looking to buy a new lens and have had my eye on the 24 - 105 L series lens but wanted to know if i'm correct in thinking that i must have this lens for anything ranging from portraits to concerts. i have a 55 mm f/1.4, i have a 75 mm - 300 mm, 18-55 mm and i'm looking for my next piece of glass. Suggestions??:dunno

thanks!!
~erika

Comments

• ABCLABCL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Your 75 - 300mm should be adequate as the best focal lengths are between 65 - 105mm for portraits. Of course, just buying new glass for the hell of it never hurt anyone ;)

Or if you just want a good quality L zoom, I'd go with your first choice.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    I think the real question is, what do you find lacking in your lens collection? If you aren't happy with one of them in particular, you can replace that one; otherwise you might go for something you don't have, like a 100mm macro (if you're interested) or an ultra-wide-angle such as the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, or the EF 400mm f/5.6... there's lots of options.

The EF 24-105mm is only f/4 which will not be adequate for low-light situations like concerts, nor will it give you well-blurred backgrounds for portraits. You really want f/2.8 or better for such things -- f/2 if possible. The EF 85mm f/1.8 very good portrait lens for crop-frame cameras (and not expensive) and may do well for concerts also if your position makes its focal length convenient.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • ZigmoZigmo Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    24-70 would be my suggestion. It gives you the f/2.8 for low light and the soft DOF for portraits. You can find them used for under $1000 or you can sell your 18-55 and save a little more and buy new. I know the 24-105 might seem a getter buy but for the two things you said you shoot you cant go wrong with the 24-70. f/2.8 is where its at.
  • ZigmoZigmo Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    The EF 85mm f/1.8 very good portrait lens for crop-frame cameras (and not expensive) and may do well for concerts also if your position makes its focal length convenient.

I agree this lens would be great for the concerts. The portraits might be an issue depending on where you shoot.. If you are doing indoor portraits you would need a lot of room to step away from you subjects to frame them. 85mm is close to a 136mm on a cropped sensor. The 24-70 would be a little more flexible. But if you are doing outdoor portraits the 85mm is the better lens.
  • eq2830eq2830 Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Zigmo wrote:
    I agree this lens would be great for the concerts. The portraits might be an issue depending on where you shoot.. If you are doing indoor portraits you would need a lot of room to step away from you subjects to frame them. 85mm is close to a 136mm on a cropped sensor. The 24-70 would be a little more flexible. But if you are doing outdoor portraits the 85mm is the better lens.

Thank you for all of your posts...bowdown.gif

next question that arose from your answers, i have my 50mm and i have a full frame body, do you think i need the 85 mm instead?
  • ABCLABCL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    eq2830 wrote:

next question that arose from your answers, i have my 50mm and i have a full frame body, do you think i need the 85 mm instead?

It would be beneficial, especially with a full frame sensor. The 85 would allow you to get nice compressed portraits without invading the subject's personal space.
    edited April 20, 2010
    eq2830 wrote:

I'm confused. You say you have a full-frame body, but you also said you have the 18-55mm lens, which is not for full-frame bodies. What model of camera do you have?

I use a full-frame camera (Canon 5D Mark II) and I don't often put a 50mm lens on it -- more often I have an 85mm. But this is a personal issue; it depends on how you see the world around you.

edited April 20, 2010
    craig_d wrote:
    I'm confused. You say you have a full-frame body, but you also said you have the 18-55mm lens, which is not for full-frame bodies. What model of camera do you have?

I use a full-frame camera (Canon 5D Mark II) and I don't often put a 50mm lens on it -- more often I have an 85mm. But this is a personal issue; it depends on how you see the world around you.

i just purchased a classic 5D, i also have a 20D for my 18 - 55 mm lens. i'm going to go and take a look at the 85mm, might just trade the 50mm for it...thanks again.bowdown.gif
    edited April 20, 2010
    eq2830 wrote:
    i just purchased a classic 5D, i also have a 20D for my 18 - 55 mm lens. i'm going to go and take a look at the 85mm, might just trade the 50mm for it...thanks again.bowdown.gif

Ah, I see. I'd suggest keeping both the 50mm and the 85mm -- you'll find them useful in different situations.

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    eq2830 wrote:
    i just purchased a classic 5D

That changes the equation in that the 24 - 105 is a wonderful FF everyday "walkaround" lens. Then you would switch to a prime when you need indoor/low light. But if portrait/concert is your primary shooting, then the primes would precede the zoom.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 20, 2010
    I moved this to the Cameras forum. (The Flea Market forum is for buying and selling camera equipment, but discussions and recommendations on cameras and lenses go here.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 20, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I moved this to the Cameras forum. (The Flea Market forum is for buying and selling camera equipment, but discussions and recommendations on cameras and lenses go here.)

Sorry about that...:) thanks!
  • JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Since you have FF now... 17-40mm f4L and 85 1.8. You can get both under $1000.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Can someone please post a full size example that they took with the 24-105mm f4 lens? With out too much PP?
    I really would like to see at least one sharp image from this lens, as I have yet to see one.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    For portraits and concerts? 135 F2, hands down. It's a glorious piece of glass.
    edited April 21, 2010
    I want to thank everyone for all of your responses bowdown.gif ...although I decided that I'm going to go with the 24-105 because I love the fact that it is such a great all around lens, you have all opened my interests to a few more lenses that I need to start saving for. It was a really hard decision, and I probably drove the woman at Adorama a lil crazy last night and I can't wait to start shooting with it. wings.gif

Thanks again!!

~erika