bfjr wrote:
    [IMG][/img]

Shot it during an earthquake, did you? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    Well, he doesn't look none too happy with you coveting his ice cream... I am not a fan of the tilt in this one.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Shot it during an earthquake, did you? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Pretty steady Huh
    In these parts we call it, "EarthQuake Preparedness" mwink.gif
    edited April 21, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Well, he doesn't look none too happy with you coveting his ice cream... I am not a fan of the tilt in this one.

Riding on 2 most my life and I just sorta dig the Tilt :D

Oh by the way He's a She, Honest !

and I think that look comes from Brain Freeze :D
  • sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    She worried that you are gonna steal her ice cream :)

I like the tilt. However, it's a bit overblown, IMHO.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    sabesh wrote:
    She worried that you are gonna steal her ice cream :)

I like the tilt. However, it's a bit overblown, IMHO.

Okay, I have to ask - why do you like the tilt? Why does making it look like the whole image is falling out of the frame make this a better image? ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Okay, I have to ask - why do you like the tilt? Why does making it look like the whole image is falling out of the frame make this a better image? ne_nau.gif

I can see how shooting it at that exact angle reveals an abstract composition of crossing diagonals, but I think it undercuts the shot as street photography. It seems to me like the photographer wants this image to be both street photography and abstract design, which to me suggests a confused intention, as those two aspects of photography don't generally combine well.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 21, 2010
    Tilt in street shots can sometimes add a feeling of movement and energy, which might be a good thing. But I'm not sure what it contributes to a pic of someone sitting still and eating ice cream. headscratch.gif
  • sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    The tilts makes the picture interesting as opposed to being a plain old shot of someone sitting and eating an ice cream :) What's the matter, you don't like tilted shots? ;)
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Gotta confess I like the tilt on this one.

I suppose it does look as though the woman is about to slide down out of the frame, now that someone mentioned it, but when I first looked at the picture, I just appreciated seeing almost all of her body as well as the ice cream cone, part of the table and the railing - which I think might not have been possible for that close-in a shot without the tilt.

Really though, for some reason, my eye keeps being drawn back to the face. There is something so incongruous about her expression compared to her relaxed body posture and the fact that she is holding an ice cream cone.

I also like the blown out bg. It, too, keeps me focussed on her expression.

Virginia

Email
    edited April 22, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:

It's always been difficult for me to put into words how or why I feel about an image.
    In this case many of the comments covered my feelings. Especially Virginia (who needs to stop
    crawling around inside my head :D) pretty much nailed it all right down to why I blew the
    highlights in the 1st place.

It really began as a technical decision and grew to be an artistic decision.
    I don't think it makes it "better". To me the subject here is very much tilted and so to me is her
    world and I want to pass that feeling to the viewer.

Yes I did work in post on straightening but I lost my feelings for it.
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    The tilt makes it feel like it was shot in a hurry or from the hip. Feels less composed to me and that I like for this one.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    The only way the tilt works is if it calls attention to a compositional element. The ice cream is centre to the composition and is almost vertical. If the image were rotated a few degrees clockwise to bring it to perfect vertical then there's a visual draw to the cone that everything else rotates around. As it is, it's just disorienting.
    edited April 23, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    The only way the tilt works is if it calls attention to a compositional element. The ice cream is centre to the composition and is almost vertical. If the image were rotated a few degrees clockwise to bring it to perfect vertical then there's a visual draw to the cone that everything else rotates around. As it is, it's just disorienting.

That's an interesting observation.
    Thanks
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    That's an interesting observation.
    Thanks

(I contacted Ben off-line and asked him if I could comment on this, and he said yes - so here goes - rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif )

Given that the horizon is, except from space, the ultimate horizontal, I can only think of six reasons who an image might be tilted:
    1. The photographer was drunk;
    2. The photographer tripped;
    3. The photographer has one leg shorter than the other;
    4. The photo was a grab shot from the waist or below;
    5. The tilt was necessary in order to get everything into the frame the photographer needed in the frame - in other words, the tilting is a way to deal with the limitations of focal length;
    6. The tilting is a specific attempt to make use of a compositional element in the frame.

Four, five, and six are legitimate reasons to tilt. But the other three?

IMHO, most uses of tilt are either fadism - these days it looks like there are no horizontals in photography rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif - and/or laziness on the part of photographers who didn't see an interesting composition and so they tilted to "add interest."

Ben is a good photographer. He posts some terrific work. But this is, pardon me, just an overexposed shot of an overweight woman overindulging and expressing annoyance at being photographed. There's nothing here of interest - IMHO - and tilting the image so that the woman looks like she's in a deck chair on the Titanic really doesn't make the image any better.

Okay, Ben? :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited April 23, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Okay, Ben? :D

More then OK, good food to chew on thumb.gif