Another senior.....no mom!

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited April 21, 2010 in People
Hopefully less controversy, some in and out. Not all of these have been processed. Most with a 4x6 softbox and one with a halo. Outside were with a canon 580exII.
1.842945518_fhCoC-XL.jpg

2. 842945492_VMWbt-XL.jpg

3. 842945675_uhbcW-XL.jpg

4. 842945615_94phh-XL.jpg

5. 842945820_kywEt-XL.jpg

6.842945963_8wrDb-XL.jpg

7.842945886_9SDVY-XL.jpg

Comments

• JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
  • ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    #1 doesn't work for me for some reason that I can't put my finger on. The rest are good shots with the exception of #2 (high key) which is exceptional. I like the pose and the exposure. Can you give me a description of your backgraound and lighting for this shot. It's very tastefully done.
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    #2 and #4 are my faves!!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Clixphoto wrote:
    #1 doesn't work for me for some reason that I can't put my finger on. The rest are good shots with the exception of #2 (high key) which is exceptional. I like the pose and the exposure. Can you give me a description of your backgraound and lighting for this shot. It's very tastefully done.

Wes, the background is Denny's white vinyl and I light it with two strip lights (10x30's). The main light is a Halo which is in very close and right in front of her face but up at a 45. The bottom catch light is a Larry Peters Eyelighter which is a bubbled reflector at a 40 ish degree angle. The b&w is just a higher contrast version of a b&w. Hope that is somewhat clear.
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    I'm still fairly new at this, so take this with a grain of salt, but here's what I see. Others should feel free to let me know if I'm off base on this, so we can all learn what to look for :)

1 - It's alright, she has a cute expression, but the pose isn't particularly flattering. I would crop in closer and get rid of the slightly darker areas in the corners of the image and the spot in the lower right where it looks like you've caught the edge of the setup.

2 - Super-cute shot, but it looks like the focus was just barely missed and landed on her hair instead of her eyes, and so the eyes look a touch over processed to compensate. That said, I love the BW and the composition.

3 - I was about to say that this was perfect, until I noticed the finger on her chin... that took it down a notch for me. I understand that these folks are 18 and are now 'mature' and all, but mom and dad are still paying for these photos and grandma and grandpa will definitely see them, so I personally would try to omit gestures that suggest "I'm naughty... rowr " for the sake of the family's sanity eek7.gif

4 - Looks pretty good

5 - Love it... all the cool tones come together well between the stairs and her clothes, the light seems to work and the vignette definitely adds to the image. One of my favs iloveyou.gif

6 - Almost perfect - looks like there is more light on her feet than on her face, but other than that I really like it.

7 - It looks like there is more light in her, uh, chestal region than on her face. Her forearms and chest are nice and light, but her face is dark. Aside from that, I like the space that she's in and the pose.

Like I said, feel free to take it with a grain of salt and others should let me know if I'm off base. Thanks for sharing, and hopefully soon you can give your two cents on some of my own (definitely less than perfect) work :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    I think it's great work! I love the cowl-neck picture, very unique Her eyes look a little over-processed in it, though. Number 7 seems a little blue to me? Not sure if it's been processed yet or not. But otherwise, I think they're great!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    I really like #5. A very flattering pose for this young lady. Nicely done.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Nice throughout, but 2&5 are my stand-out choices.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    1 & 3 are straight out of camera just a small adjustment in raw to jpg. When I do a session like this I allow 1hr and 45 min for the meet and greet and the session with 6 outfits. Then I allow 45 min for the outdoor session walk about. I try to keep the photography to 120 ish and then cull it down to 80ish. So every shoot won't be technically accurate. I'm looking to sell a senior alb or about 32 prints on 20 sides.

On the water I did saturate it in Capture One.