Local Wildfire

RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited April 21, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I think I'm in the right area for these. This past Sunday afternoon a young couple took out for a ride on their side-by-side four wheeler. They had an extra gas container in the rear compartment that sprung a leak during their ride. The resulting leaking gas found it's way to the exhaust pipe. The operator tried to ditch in a nearby creek but was unable to as the creek banks absorbed the machine. The result was a wild fire that took three agencies and four water "Bombers" , two helicopters and two airplanes, nearly 7 hours to contain and extinguish. Total acreage of the blaze in undetermined at this time.

These are one shot of the blaze from about 4 miles away. The first is SOOC, the second is cropped to 8x10 and converted to High contrast B&W(to better show the smoke plumes).

Your comments and critics are welcome and appreciated.

1) SOOC
843444969_rjpKe-M.jpg

2) edited
843444979_tvpPw-M.jpg

Trying, Learning and Loving it all
Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
Canon speedlights and Alien Bees

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    RacinRandy wrote:
    I think I'm in the right area for these. This past Sunday afternoon a young couple took out for a ride on their side-by-side four wheeler. They had an extra gas container in the rear compartment that sprung a leak during their ride. The resulting leaking gas found it's way to the exhaust pipe. The operator tried to ditch in a nearby creek but was unable to as the creek banks absorbed the machine. The result was a wild fire that took three agencies and four water "Bombers" , two helicopters and two airplanes, nearly 7 hours to contain and extinguish. Total acreage of the blaze in undetermined at this time.

These are one shot of the blaze from about 4 miles away. The first is SOOC, the second is cropped to 8x10 and converted to High contrast B&W(to better show the smoke plumes).

Your comments and critics are welcome and appreciated.

Trying, Learning and Loving it all

No one is going to believe that I really posted this, but I'd keep the color in the cropped image - just boost the contrast a bit - But I want to see the spring leaves on the trees, and the color of the smoke.:ivar :ivar
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    No one is going to believe that I really posted this, but I'd keep the color in the cropped image - just boost the contrast a bit - But I want to see the spring leaves on the trees, and the color of the smoke.:ivar :ivar

:jawdrop

Just kidding, because you are of course right, on this one! thumb.gifD

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook