Serious Amatuer would like to get more serious

Mr_WiggMr_Wigg Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited April 21, 2010 in People
http://mrwigg.smugmug.com/Other/Little-Girls-in-Whitehall-Park/11911265_xeafF#843160659_uprS7

I am really proud of these shots I took last night in the park behind my house, but I also realize they aren't perfect. Can I get some feedback on how to improve? Thanks, Wig Out

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Mr Wigg, you should be proud of these shots. You used the lovely setting nicely. Several of these would benefit significantly with some fill (either with a flash or reflector).

My best advice to you is to post several photos directly on you post here instead of linking to your site. Number the photos so that we can direct comments to specific portraits. Most do no like to click on links.
  • Mr_WiggMr_Wigg Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Thanks Mitchell,

I didn't even think about posting a photo directly, I'll start doing that.

I had a reflector and assistant holding it but I fear it wasn't very reflective. It has gotten dull and lost it's shine over the years. It is a homeade one. I took some gold christmas wrapping paper and wadded it up in a ball then stretched it back out on a large piece of cardboard. The wrinkles throw light in all sorts of different directions and the gold color gives my subjects a tan. I just need some fresh gold.

Appreciate the tips, I will put them to use right away.

Wig Out
  • ABCLABCL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Great shots, it takes skill and a good eye to get portraits done right, the lighting is perfect too really gives the shots a nice soft natural tone with lots of depth. clap.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Mr_Wigg wrote:
    http://mrwigg.smugmug.com/Other/Little-Girls-in-Whitehall-Park/11911265_xeafF#843160659_uprS7

I am really proud of these shots I took last night in the park behind my house, but I also realize they aren't perfect. Can I get some feedback on how to improve? Thanks, Wig Out

They all appear a touch soft. Also imo they could use about 1/2 more exposuure. The colors and expressions are great though.clap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Not too shabby at all! A few tweaks here and there and these would be even better. I LOVE how the background flowers match the little girl's outfits, did you plan it that way? I think you have a great eye and could step up your photography pretty easily. This is a great place for that!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    These are very nice shots. I like the composition and the expressions are priceless. I agree with a couple of the others that they could use a little more fill or a bump in the exposure. If you work a little on the lighting and keep the other elements in place, you will be turning out some very good pictures. So, I'd say, if you want to get more serious, work on lighting for a while. You have a great eye for the other details. Keep posting.
  • MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    These are lovely. The light coming from the left is really nice. Beautiful models don't hurt either!