843683882_bX7HX-L.jpg

843683903_5MNez-L.jpg
LadyTX

Comments

• Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    That last one, just WOW!!! Love it!!

Sounds like she needs to be-friend the last Senior we did, his shots were at his barn in his backyard and his hunting ground. At one point, he said "It's hotter'n three kittens wrestlin' in a wool sock" -- seriously.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    There's something about #1 that I can't figure out that isn't working for me. Is there a bunch from above that was cropped? Her face is very in focus but her boots seem really soft, and some lens distortion, perhaps?

The rest of the set is really gorgeous! I really love the light in #3. clap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Technically there are some small issues with all of them.

Visually these are very nice. She is a beautiful girl and your photos show that very well. The small technical issues do not take away from that.

Nice shots, she will love them!
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    These are very, very nice. Just a pointer or two. In #1 you can slim her down even more by moving the front leg over to the opposite side of the body. Try it with yourself in front of a mirror, take the front leg and move it across the body. Now you've got a narrow hip area. This largeness really shows up in image 2. That would have helped it that pose. Also try not to show the back of the hand. Again that is a weight thing and makes the hand as large as it can be made.

The lighting on these is just super. How did you light these, explain your method.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Holy Cow..... made a funny there ... Your cow girl's face is beautiful, please share some tips, outside setup OCF? and any PP. Very nice job. I hope I can do as well when I start shooting seniors.
    her face is so lovely I never looked at the rest of the photo but going back, yes her boots look weird in #1.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    Hackbone wrote:
    These are very, very nice. Just a pointer or two. In #1 you can slim her down even more by moving the front leg over to the opposite side of the body. Try it with yourself in front of a mirror, take the front leg and move it across the body. Now you've got a narrow hip area. This largeness really shows up in image 2. That would have helped it that pose. Also try not to show the back of the hand. Again that is a weight thing and makes the hand as large as it can be made.

The lighting on these is just super. How did you light these, explain your method.

One look at PEOPLE magazine etc will show a LOT of gals standing that way, even my almost 30 yr old uses that tip.
    Catherine Zeta Jones says she stands with her legs out wider than her hips to give herself a more statuesque look. Go figure!?
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    That last one, just WOW!!! Love it!!

Sounds like she needs to be-friend the last Senior we did, his shots were at his barn in his backyard and his hunting ground. At one point, he said "It's hotter'n three kittens wrestlin' in a wool sock" -- seriously.

Thanks for the encouragement. That quote is funny. Haven't heard that one before rolleyes1.gif

adbsgicom wrote:
    Theres something about #1 that I can't figure out that isn't working for me. Is there a bunch from above that was cropped? Her face is very in focus but her boots seem really soft, and some lens distortion, perhaps?

The rest of the set is really gorgeous! I really love the light in #3.

Didn't crop a lot from the top but did crop some. The backgrounds in all these are not very desirable so I did take some out. The boots are out of focus but the fence is not as out of focus as I wanted. I think this was shot at f4. Seems to me that the boots should be more in focus and the fence not so much. I'm confused obviously ne_nau.gif Can't seem to get all this straight.

Thanks for the comment.

zoomer wrote:
    Technically there are some small issues with all of them.

Visually these are very nice. She is a beautiful girl and your photos show that very well. The small technical issues do not take away from that.

Nice shots, she will love them!

Thank you.

Hackbone wrote:

Thanks very much Hackbone. I am going to have to look at People Magazine as suggested by other poster to see this pose. The image I have in my head looks like a young lady that needs to go potty. rolleyes1.gif I will check it out though and try to remember to incorporate it as well as the hand suggestion. I have heard that one before. That dress she had on doesn't help her figure either being so free flowing. I don't remember all these things when I am taking photos. Especially when I a playing with something new like I was that day.

We stepped outside in the backyard because I wanted to try this method of using the sun as a back light and a speed light in front. That's how I took these. Using the sun in the back of her and a speed light, wireless with Pocket Wizard, in a softbox in front of her.

VayCayMom wrote:
    Holy Cow..... made a funny there ... Your cow girl's face is beautiful, please share some tips, outside setup OCF? and any PP. Very nice job. I hope I can do as well when I start shooting seniors.
    her face is so lovely I never looked at the rest of the photo but going back, yes her boots look weird in #1.

Thanks for the comment. Outside I used the sun at her back obviously and a speed light, wireless with Pocket Wizard, in a softbox. For post process I use Portrait Professional, only the skin features, and Noise Ninja.
    LadyTX
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I think a belt or something at the waist would have had a slimming effect. The way that dress falls, it covers up her figure and billows out a bit too much.
    VayCayMom wrote:

I thought girls didn't like it when people stare at their boots?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    BuddyLeeBuddyLee Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    very nice
    The first thing I noticed are her very muscular legs. Is she a cyclist or possibly a dancer? I personally like the fact you captured a 'real' look. if that makes sense.

Beautiful girl, like zoomer i believe already said, you captured her very well, a few technical details cannot take away from that.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Nice set thumb.gif love that last one iloveyou.gif

Be careful with cropping from the top (#1 and #2); It 'usually' (rules are meant to be broken, I know) doesn't work when something is cropped right up to the edge of the photo. Either have enough room from the edges, or crop her as well (like you did in the last two). Also, be very careful with printing since you'll usually lose a small amount on all sides when having it printed.
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    would you mind sharing how you got these shots?
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    I generally like #3 and #4, even though there are some minute gotchas like cropping the top of the head and dead centering in #3.

In #1 - I said it a hundred times at least: NEVER shoot a standing female subject full height from the eye level deal.gif
    In #2 - she looks pregnant + bad angle again. Opposed to #1, an upper-body female shot should NEVER be takend from the lower angle (unless going for special effect)

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    would you mind sharing how you got these shots?

He told us he used the Sun as backlight, and a speedlight in a soft box for fill, via pocket wizard.

Nikolai wrote:

In #1 - I said it a hundred times at least: NEVER shoot a standing female subject full height from the eye level deal.gif
    In #2 - she looks pregnant + bad angle again. Opposed to #1, an upper-body female shot should NEVER be takend from the lower angle (unless going for special effect)
    Nikolai, would you mind either explaining both of these "NEVER DO" rules you have, or pointing me to a thread that you have already explained it in before.

These pictures look very nice to me. I don't understand why everyone thinks this girl is "large". You can clearly see her figure is very nice in #1, and that #3 she is leaning with her hip out to one side, its just that the dress doesn't hug her body on the other side. #4 Is the winner here, WOW very nice.

There is some cropping issues on #1 and #3 if you would like to get these printed though, I do agree with that.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    DeuceFour wrote:
    Nikolai, would you mind either explaining both of these "NEVER DO" rules you have, or pointing me to a thread that you have already explained it in before.
    1) Search is your friend. I really said it a hundred times here at dgrin only deal.gif
    2) When you shoot a female full height with a short focal length (generally bad for portraits all by itself) from an eye level you make her legs look short :cry
    3) For the same reason, when you shoot a female upper body with a short focal length (again, naturally bad by itself) while standing below her eye/breast level you make her tummy/hips look huge, which is typically not flattering, at least for Caucasian case :cry (please don't let me go into the race-by-race preferences of how the female bottom should look mwink.gif )

Cures:
    1) use longer focal length for portraiture deal.gif
    2) know your angles deal.gif
    3) know your client's personal preferences and learn your races... I know, this subject being often PC-ed & tabooed off, but trust me: you simply can't light a black person the same way you light an Asian or Scandinavian one...deal.gif And when it comes to females bottoms - welcome to the world's diversity! rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    I guess you didn't mind.. Oh and thanks for pointing out that you can Search on the internetdeal.gifdealdeal.gif