How far in advance?

pokerpoker Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited April 27, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
How far in a advance to you take reservations? I don't know if the wording on my contract will protect me enough if something terrible happens to me 1 year from now. For example, I have a customer asking me to just shoot just the ceremony in February 2011.

I know it's foolish to turn down work.

How do you handle it?

Thanks.
I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2010
    I will book and take a retainer fee or partial fee as far out as a client asks.......if it's way out .....over 2 yrs then I will take a smaller retainer with the final retainer fee due approx 6 months from the date of the shoot withthe full amount paid in full 60days prior to shoot date.........for such things I have a Palm TX that has calendars running out about 50 yrs...that is hwere I stopped.....I back up all calendars to my computer and to SD cards....I also copy to Google calendars......I don't see Google going out of business any time soon............and with in the calendars I keep track of what was paid when.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• pokerpoker Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Thanks for sharing your methods.
    I like photos especially ones shot by Canons. I'm just another fanboy :ivar
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    My Pleasure.....I am here to help ....if I can......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Simple answer: Your contract should have an "Act of God" clause (which would cover you if you are horribly injured/killed or whatever), and also should state that in the event that you'd need to cancel then your only liability would be for "retainers paid". Then no matter what, you only have to return the retainer.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)