Options

Another Question about gear...

mpriest13mpriest13 Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited April 22, 2010 in Weddings
What does everyone use to take formals. I have zero experience in studio lighting. If someone wanted to get into studio lighting especially with respect to wedding formals what is the minimum needed? I know nothing...please educate me! :))):D

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    mpriest13 wrote:
    What does everyone use to take formals. I have zero experience in studio lighting. If someone wanted to get into studio lighting especially with respect to wedding formals what is the minimum needed? I know nothing...please educate me! :))):D

I think the majority of people are getting away from strobes and going towards fast glass and lens flare thumb.gif

I have never shot a wedding before (my first one is on May 8th actually wings.gif ), so take this with a brick of salt. I'm going to be bringing two Alien Bees AB800's and my 32"x40" softboxes w/ grids, light stands, the whole shabang pretty much. They're most likely going to stay in my SUV during the formals, unless I have time to do some really creative stuff.

Where I'm planning on using them, if needed, is at the reception. But, I probably wont need them cause its a day wedding, and I think the reception is going to be outside...

If you're just getting into studio lighting, but see yourself taking it seriously in the future. I would get either Alien Bees, or Profoto heads. If you're not going to be using them often, look into the Calumet Genesis series.

The other route to take would be to use speedlights off camera. Many people swear by this, and its an affordable way to get off camera, directional lighting. Whenever I have an assistant or time to do it myself I'll use my SB600, a lightstand, and an umbrella over the SB600 on my camera any day.

If you can afford them, get as many SB900's or 580EXII's as you can. If not, get SB800's or 580EX. I would stay away from the SB600 and 430EX series. I own a SB600, and it simply doesn't have enough power.

I'm not sure if you shoot canon or nikon... so the speedlights you would get would depend on that. You could get Vivitar 285HV's instead. They're the best bang for your buck, and non brand specific.

If you decide to go the speedlight route, hit up the strobist.com blog, and read the 101 section. There is a lot of great info over there.

Sorry this got longer than I expected... I've just done tons of research of off camera lighting, and everything to do with it.

-Jeremy
    Jer