A Few from Monterey, CA

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited April 22, 2010 in Landscapes
I had to go to Monterey for a conference at the last minute last week as a stand in. I finally was able to figure out how to take along my tripod and so had a real opportunity to shoot while I was there. I was there only part of Monday and Tuesday before leaving on Wednesday but managed to shoot about 450 frames. I'm still processing but here are a few.

I'm still considering these work in progress. I'm working on new techniques so I'm not sure if I've got it quite right. C&C welcome and encouraged.

#1 Sunrise along Ocean View Boulevard

It was raining on Tuesday morning when I got up about 5:30a. I decided to go out anyway and fortunately the rain stopped and the sun broke through just as it was rising so I got some decent light.

844484547_pJprU-L.jpg

#2 Sunrise over the Rocks

844499719_JpgcE-L.jpg

#3 Point Lobos at Sunset

This is at the Point Lobos State Reserve just outside of Carmel.

844498698_U8fRS-L.jpg

Everything in this set is HDR but most of the processing is occurring in Photoshop. I'm preparing the three files in Photomatix with just enough tone mapping to get the details I want. Then I go into Photoshop and generate various masks for curve adjustments.

Thanks for looking. Other pictures will be posted in the gallery here.

Comments

• Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Brilliant shots Tom! I think the first one is my favourite - I love the colour thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • Ifocus4uIfocus4u Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Your series is stunning. The HDR is perfect in my eyes. Lovely series and thanks for sharing! :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Awesome timing with the weather. And Point Lobos is someplace I'm dying to visit, but they don't allow dogs (understandably) so we haven't been in yet. Gorgeous!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    IMHO, I see no way that these could be improved!! They are incredible!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    i really like the point lobos shot, but i think it'd look a bit better with a little more sky...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    No 2 my favorite.. HDR ?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 22, 2010
    It really pays to get out there regardless of what they weather's doing, eh?

And whatever your doing for your processing looks great. My only comment, is that I would reduce the brightness of the rocks in the lower left on the first one. It's a bit unnaturally bright. The foreground may be a bit bright in the last one as well. But that may be a personal choice thing.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Thank you all for the comments.

Bill, yes #2 is HDR. I processed them all with HDR to see what I could get.

Joel, thanks for the comments. I'm still looking at the processing and part of what I'm looking at is adjusting the saturation and brightness that comes out of the processing.