<<<help Building A Portfolio>>>

rogerchesterrogerchester Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited April 24, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I am wanting to build a portfolio. How do i go about getting people shoot so i can try get more experience and to help get my name out. I thought about doing so free sessions of some friends then give them the photos on a cd pulse a watermarked copy for Facebook. With the agreement for the parents to help with the word of mouth. Has anyone ever done this or have any suggestions. :scratch
canon 40D EF70- 200mm 1:2.8 l is usm EF28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM

Comments

• rogerchesterrogerchester Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Anyone?
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    I am wanting to build a portfolio. How do i go about getting people shoot so i can try get more experience and to help get my name out. I thought about doing so free sessions of some friends then give them the photos on a cd pulse a watermarked copy for Facebook. With the agreement for the parents to help with the word of mouth. Has anyone ever done this or have any suggestions. headscratch.gif

I don't know about the watermarking thing...I mean, unless your stuff is right up there in perfection mode....

At the outset of my journey toward a more professional pursuit in photography, I needed two things: Customers and more experience. I knew full well my product was not in keeping with the minimum standards by simply looking around me. So, I just talked, cajoled, gave away, promised, and delivered whatever I could to get anyone I could to help me with my portraits. I set a timetable of sorts to get as many usable photos as I could: two years. Turns out I didn't need the full two years to get paying jobs. And it also turns out that I still give away sometimes to get what I want.

Some folks seem dead set on making money from the outset. Some folks can also pull it off. My biggest hurdle was the quality of my work. I could in no way shape or fashion expect pay for substandard work.

Also....I have no idea how many poor photos I shot along the way, but I do know it was a Bunch!

HTH!
    tom wise
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Lexington Ky......colleges....fine arts college in University????
    Great place to place little flyers for head shots (head and shoulders portraits)......have a church......place a flyer or 4 on bulletin boards......gotta a Borders Books.....they have a place for free community advertising by the bathrooms.....doesn't sound great but it works.............In lexington I could build a Port on horses....You live there.....what do you see???

You said build a Port. but not what kind....are wanting portraits (if so what kind....kids, babies, seniors.......the world is a very large palette )...weddings??

Tell us more about what you are wanting to do......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• rogerchesterrogerchester Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    i would like to work with seniors and adult photos. I would like to get some people let me photograph them so i can build my port. Their are a lot of very cool places in Lexington to shoot from. I have a tone of ideas to shoot from i just need some models. I have friends with street rods they will let me use I have a good friend
    with a custom chopper. I also have a friend who brother works on a very large horse farm i have permission to go on.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Join a modeling website (onemodeplace, missonline, modelbrigade, etc) and start fishing. You'll have much more luck getting in touch with people who need fresh photos frequently than trying to lure a random stranger you meet in the wallmart or wallgreen. I understand, Kensington, KY is not Hollywood, CA by two orders of magnitude, but still there are models there who need headshots, etc. And I bet the number of photogs is also much smaller, so in the end you may be at a better ratio than I am...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    Join a modeling website (onemodeplace, missonline, modelbrigade, etc) and start fishing. You'll have much more luck getting in touch with people who need fresh photos frequently than trying to lure a random stranger you meet in the wallmart or wallgreen. I understand, Kensington, KY is not Hollywood, CA by two orders of magnitude, but still there are models there who need headshots, etc. And I bet the number of photogs is also much smaller, so in the end you may be at a better ratio than I am...

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Modelmayhem is another active site. It's free to set up a page, and there are alot of new models and model wannabe's that will model for free in exchange for free images on CD's for their own portfolios. BE SURE AND GET MODEL RELEASES FROM ANYONE YOU SHOOT WITH. Good luck!
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    I went to your website and I am wondering why you think you have no portfolio.....take some of the cheer shots .......re-crop......uprez using Genuine Fractals Print Pro Trial.....good for 20 or so saved photos.......make a port out of what you have.....now take your best portrait and get business cards.......get 500 or so from vista print....they have specials all the time for 250 cards at $1.99 and then you get 250 for free.......or go to Got Print.....they have great pricing........I am working on getting 500 from vista print and around 10K from got print b-cards and 4x5 cards........you should have a great base with all the people in those pix from your site.........................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    ...now take your best portrait and get business cards...
    Uhm, it all sounds nice, provided you have a full/specific commerical release from the person whose face you're gonna put on your business card. deal.gif Otherwise chances are high you'll end up in court with a lot more charges than your gear is worth... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"