Options

Problem with \find and \galleries links implemented with javascript

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,244 moderator
edited April 23, 2010 in Bug Reporting
There are at least 3 of us who have been experiencing problems with the javascript to create a separate galleries page. The code I'm referring to is the javascript from this tutorial - http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2160039. So while it may be a sort of a hack, it is a well-documented chunk of code that many smug customers are using.

This morning, my \find page stopped working. It dropped viewers to the home page rather than the find page for a good chunk of the day. I moved the hasPath javascript from the bottom to the top javascript box in an attempt to fix it. No luck. Several hours later, it started working again.

I have seen at least 2 other threads reporting problems with \galleries links placing viewers on the home page and not the designated galleries page.

Something somewhere has changed.

In the hopes that we can get some smug attention on this problem, yes, I've essentially duplicated some other threads in the customization forum. I believe there is a problem somewhere in smug. Sites that have been working for a long time should not suddenly stop working.

Related threads: Please, can we get some sorcerer attention to this problem?

--- Denise

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Another victim here. This is the fifth or sixth person I've talked to about this.

It looks clear to me that Smugmug changed the bottom javascript to be after the custom header, when it used to be before. This can easily break people's sites. Smug made this change once before 6-12 months ago and after realizing the consequences of the change, they put it back. I again think they should put it back so an unknown number of people's sites are not broken.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 22, 2010
    Denise, I am using basically the same markup on one of my sites and I have not seen any problems with it. But something may be going on. I will be happy to get one of the sorcerers to take a look. Thanks for pulling the details together.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    This should all be fixed/fine - are you still experiencing problems?
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    Still a problem on this site. His bottom javascript which used to come before his custom footer, now comes after and causes it to break.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    nyteshadenyteshade Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    Still an issue?
    Andy wrote:

If this is still occurring can someone please supply me with some pages that are still experiencing errors?

Thanks,
    Gabe
    Gabriel Harrison
    SmugMug Sourcerer
  • Options
    nyteshadenyteshade Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    Still a problem on this site. His bottom javascript which used to come before his custom footer, now comes after and causes it to break.

Ok, thanks. I am looking into this right now.
    Gabriel Harrison
    SmugMug Sourcerer
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    Andy wrote:
    My \find page is working again.

But the \galleries page on this site is still not working for me - http://www.harrisphotographicarts.com/galleries. It's going to the home page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    My \find page is working again.

But the \galleries page on this site is still not working for me - http://www.harrisphotographicarts.com/galleries. It's going to the home page.

--- Denise

Denise did you leave the hasPath call for /find in your top javascript by chance? We had a temporary issue with caching that would have made it appear that that fix didn't work, because you were likely getting the stale top javascript that didn't have your change. But as Andy mentioned, that is fixed (and is probably why "hours later" it worked).

I'm just wondering if that change is still alive in your site and why one works and the other doesn't.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    nyteshade wrote:
    Ok, thanks. I am looking into this right now.
    Did Smugmug mean to change the position of the bottom javascript to be after the custom footer? This was changed once before 6-12 months ago and, when it broke a bunch of people's sites, it was changed back.

As you can realize, if people are using script references in their custom footer to scripts in their bottom javascript, things used to work and now no longer work. Most people won't necessarily realize something is busted right away.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    cabbey wrote:
    Denise did you leave the hasPath call for /find in your top javascript by chance? We had a temporary issue with caching that would have made it appear that that fix didn't work, because you were likely getting the stale top javascript that didn't have your change. But as Andy mentioned, that is fixed (and is probably why "hours later" it worked).

I'm just wondering if that change is still alive in your site and why one works and the other doesn't.
    The site Denise mentions is someone else's site that both Denise and I have been trying to help. Their javascript is in the bottom javascript where it's always been and their site used to work. It looks to me like you changed the bottom javascript to be after the custom footer when it used to be before. That change would make sites like http://www.harrisphotographicarts.com/galleries stop working.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    cabbey wrote:

I moved the hasPath call to my top javascript this morning, and I left it there. It's still there, and my site is working properly again. It took a number of hours before it worked though.

Is the top javascript the right place for it now?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    jfriend wrote:
    The site Denise mentions is someone else's site that both Denise and I have been trying to help. Their javascript is in the bottom javascript where it's always been and their site used to work. It looks to me like you changed the bottom javascript to be after the custom footer when it used to be before. That change would make sites like http://www.harrisphotographicarts.com/galleries stop working.

Yeah, it was a mistaken change. We're undoing it now. Should go out tonight.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    I moved the hasPath call to my top javascript this morning, and I left it there. It's still there, and my site is working properly again. It took a number of hours before it worked though.

Is the top javascript the right place for it now?

--- Denise

Yeah, so the reason it took a number of hours was the temporary cached js bug I mentioned. That was fixed earlier today. You'll be able to move it all back to bottom javascript after tonight.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    cabbey wrote:
    Yeah, it was a mistaken change. We're undoing it now. Should go out tonight.
    glad you're on top of fixing the bottom javascript sequence issue.
    Second time this mistake has been made. I hope you change something in the process to prevent it again.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2010
    This fix went live a couple hours ago instead of waiting for our maintenance window tonight. Just FYI.
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2010
    cabbey wrote:
    This fix went live a couple hours ago instead of waiting for our maintenance window tonight. Just FYI.
    Thanks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular