Glass best for Aquarium and other wildlife

EmancipatorEmancipator Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited May 2, 2010 in Cameras
I am looking for a fast, durable, and appropriately ranged zoom for either the DX or FX format. I'd like to good nice Aquarium and wildlife photos. Price range should be no higher than $2,500. Stick to Nikon, unless there's earnestly something better. lool :hide

I was looking between the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and the 70-200mm 2.8 but cannot figure which to choose. Mostly, the issue lies in the range. For example, sometimes in the Aquarium kids pile in front of the glass so it's nice to have a wider zoom. However, there are also endangered birds and other animals that are farther off at my Aquarium. So where do I sacrifice range? My options are either fast mid-zoom / slow telephoto or slow mid-zoom / fast telephoto. Also, are the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 and the 70-200mm 2.8 unbearable to hold and shoot? Anyone, choose or not choose any of the above or similar and have guiding thoughts? Thanks again! :thumb

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 22, 2010
    We need more information and you need to decide between DX and FX. The same lens will behave somewhat differently in terms of FOV on the different formats.

So, specifically which camera?

Is this an aquarium or is it also a zoo?

What distances do you anticipate?

What sizes are the subjects?

Do you need IS/VR?

Indoors or outdoors?

Daytime or night time?

Flash or not allowed?

Please describe in as complete detail as possible the project or need.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • EmancipatorEmancipator Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    A Nikon D90.

Well I want to have a lens that can serve both purposes fairly well.

Mid-range to far. I have a UWA zoom so I have that base covered.

From the size of Giraffes to that of birds.

Do you need IS/VR?
    Yes.

Indoors or outdoors?
    Both, but mostly outdoors.

Daytime or night time?
    I'd like both.

Flash or not allowed?
    Rather not.

The project is taking pictures of animals that may move fast and in low-light situations. I'd like a lens that can be used as a flexible zoom. Weight does not bother me. I'd like a solid build actually. A f/2.8 would be nice too. Somewhere below $2500 USD.
  • mehampsonmehampson Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    I don't have any specific lens recommendations, other than "fast ones", but I work at an aquarium and can give you some thoughts about the challenges of shooting in one, for insight. I don't shoot often at work but if I were buying lenses specifically for that purpose, I'd probably go with a really fast prime that's good wide open, or nearly so. VR/IS for sure. So...

It's probably going to be very dark. Even in a relatively well-lit aquarium the ambient light is always going to be dimmer than the exhibit lighting, since if it were the other way around, you'd only see your reflection in the tank. Wider environmental shots of people and exhibits may be difficult because of the contrast range.

Expect to work on white balance a lot in post. Where I work, we use fluorescent, incandescent, and neon bulbs to light the public spaces; the exhibits can use several different kinds of fluorescent or metal halide, ranging in color temp from 4000K to 20000K (at least), and depending on the needs of the exhibit plants/animals, it might be mixed, too.

The tanks themselves are made from glass or, more likely, acrylic, and it's always thick enough to cause strong distortion and chromatic aberration. Light going at an angle from water to glass to air gets bent. Try to shoot from as straight-on to the glass as possible to minimize that, if it's a flat-fronted exhibit -- up/down or left/right will make it worse. I suspect that standing further back from the tank with a longer lens will reduce this but I haven't really tested the theory out. (Speaking of the glass, please don't press your lens right up to them -- it's really hard to get scratches out :) )

Same thing happens with touch tanks and other exhibits where you can shoot down onto the water.

Best time to go (i.e., fewest other people there) are weekday afternoons. Weekends, everyone can go, so everyone goes. Weekday mornings are school field trips. This time of year, at least for us, is moderately busy all week, but in the fall and winter you can have the place to yourself practically in the afternoons. Don't bother bringing a camera in the summertime or on vacation days/holidays, if you're planning on being a regular -- too many people to get a good, well-planned shot, and there's a higher risk of snatch and grab.

It's pretty likely they won't allow tripods or monopods. It's worth calling ahead to find out if there are any restrictions on flash. Some exhibits may have animals that are sensitive to it. High ISO and wide aperture are probably your friend here, anyway.
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2010
    No offense, but if you can't decide on even a focal length, no one here is going to be able to do anything but throw out random guesses. You need to know what you need from a lens before buying one, otherwise you are wasting your money.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 22, 2010
    A Nikon D90.

Well I want to have a lens that can serve both purposes fairly well.

Mid-range to far. I have a UWA zoom so I have that base covered.

From the size of Giraffes to that of birds.

Do you need IS/VR?
    Yes.

Indoors or outdoors?
    Both, but mostly outdoors.

Daytime or night time?
    I'd like both.

Flash or not allowed?
    Rather not.

The project is taking pictures of animals that may move fast and in low-light situations. I'd like a lens that can be used as a flexible zoom. Weight does not bother me. I'd like a solid build actually. A f/2.8 would be nice too. Somewhere below $2500 USD.

From these answers you seem to be leaning towards a Nikkor 70-200mm, f2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR (or a model II). I suggest rental before purchase so you can test the lens to be sure. I'm not sure any single lens will work that well in low light if the subject is in motion and you cannot use a flash. You might also need to invest in an appropriate focal length, very fast aperture prime (or 2 primes).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    I have only shot once in an Aquarium at Monterey Bay. I used my 17-55mm f2.8 Nikon DX inside where most of the aquatic displays. I think switched to my Tokina ATX Pro 50-135mm f2.8 a few times. At the zoo 300mm to 500mm seems to be needed I go to 170-500mm Sigma or 75-300mm Nikon.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    I have only shot once in an Aquarium at Monterey Bay. I used my 17-55mm f2.8 Nikon DX inside where most of the aquatic displays. I think switched to my Tokina ATX Pro 50-135mm f2.8 a few times. At the zoo 300mm to 500mm seems to be needed I go to 170-500mm Sigma or 75-300mm Nikon.

My experience at Monterey Aquarium was that 2.8 was nowhere near fast enough -- that place is DARK. The second time I went I took a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, which was much more useful than my Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS. This was with my 50D, so I didn't want to go above ISO 1600.
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I had good luck at the Monterey Bay aquarium with my Canon 17-55 2.8.

571847682_kz6hM-XL.jpg

571850582_JwukB-XL.jpg

571842998_7hhA6-XL.jpg
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    I went back and looked at my exifs. Some of the darker scapes I used my 50mm f1.8
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/