Dark Hollow Falls (HDR) - Shenandoah National Park

Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited April 24, 2010 in Landscapes
I need to get an ND Filter. :D

4544505317_b4604b3332_o.jpg

4545138376_3dce1035c6_o.jpg

I haven't finished processing all the shots, when I do, I'll put them all on Flickr.

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    These two have good composition and nice detail but I think they suffer from a typical HDR issue. To me the color appears flat and in need of a curves boost to bring in more contrast. The luminosity is pretty uniform throughout so there isn't any visual clues to help guide my eye through the pictures. I think if you spend some time in Photoshop making a curves adjustment it will really bring out some of the nice details present.
  • kappenkappen Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 23, 2010
    I don't know I think the first one guides your eye. I keep finding myself looking at the lower pool I think the depth is doing that. I agree the second photo currently looks flat in color and depth.

I really like the first one, but then again I'm a sucker for a good waterfall :)
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    to me it seems that the areas surrounding the streams are too bright in both photos, but especially so in the second. i'd tone them both down a bit and up the contrast a smidge as well. i pulled the first one down and did about a 30-second edit to give it more pop... i can put it up for comparison if you like, but i don't post edits of other people's shots without permission... ;)
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Have to respond. You're in my "backyard. "
    Nice waterfall ! Things would improve here if
    shot in Oct. Yet you have to capture when you can.
    IMO not a good candidate for HDR.
    Enjoy park, every view is a picture.
  • thomasjmthomasjm Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    These two have good composition and nice detail but I think they suffer from a typical HDR issue. To me the color appears flat and in need of a curves boost to bring in more contrast. The luminosity is pretty uniform throughout so there isn't any visual clues to help guide my eye through the pictures. I think if you spend some time in Photoshop making a curves adjustment it will really bring out some of the nice details present.
    +1 It looks flat to me too. I would also recommend going into your photo editing program and trying to use curves to bring out more contrast, or using some simple dodging and burning.