Options

Boudoir (NSFW)

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited August 17, 2010 in Go Figure
I've had a few days off, thanks to Eyjafjallajoekull, and besides some home improvements I actually had time to do some shooting! :clap However this shooting was on request of her and scared the crap out of me as well, since it was something new to me :lol3
It is good to try something new though; and if I want to improve I might as well get a huge community to give me feedback on my first try :D
845291044_PptP5-L.jpg

845290825_RYyyt-L.jpg

845290832_Csg6S-L.jpg
and/or
845291065_EV8kT-L.jpg

Open or closed?
845291010_ebXEQ-L.jpg
vs
845291019_xCWdN-L.jpg

845291053_QvVwd-L.jpg

So, let me know what you think, good and bad, I really do appreciate it :thumb

Comments

• Options
    fireguy.edfireguy.ed Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    I like them, great use of bokeh! I think #3 over #4, but for me it would have been better if the bra or abdomen/hand was the point of focusne_nau.gif. Eyes open....
    Last one FTW clap.gif

Overall, NICE!!!thumb.gif Only "complaint" would be that her eye make-up doesn't look "finished". Probably not something you could really control. I think more color in the eye makeup for me, but I am only one.... a thousand others will love it...

Sounds like an excuse to do it again! I know we all hate that, taking more pictures...:D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Hey Ivar,
    finally you've decided to try your own "dog food":-)
    I thought I'd share my thoughts tht I hot when I looked at these!
    1) Congrats on breaking the mold! thumb.gif
    2) light is not helping: too bright for the boudoir environment and too even to get any helpful shadows :cry
    3) The pose is classic, but - does she know any other one? ne_nau.gif
    4) "boob grap" is a junkfood of the craft. There are tons of ways to hide the nipples if the effect is desired: angle, props (sheet?), pose,...
    HTH
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Ivar...Your first? ...what boudoir shoot? Kudo's my man....you survived it, it appears...despite Eyjafjallajoekull and whatever her name is!

#1. Cool pose, loose the red!

#2. I think It would've looked a wee bit better focusing on her breast for this one leaving her face and legs OOF.

#3. One of my favorite crops: lips-down! I think this would've been better only if her hands had been covering naked breasts.

#4. Does nothing for me and I think you missed it here. Perhaps this pose and crop would work with one visible nipple and that lovely set of lips!

#5. Close tie with the last one for Best-OF-the-Bunch! Looking at the camera with hands over breasts! Superb pose! Just a super-dooper shot Ivar!

#6. I think just the face would make a lovely crop!

#7. See four above. Love the looking away/ pensive/lost in thoughts look!

Light? There is a hundred ways to light this. Lighting is taste, we all know that. Well lit!

Color palette? I try to limit my color palette and get bothered when I cannot. Even though red is hot and all, red was only a sidebar here, against pink, brown, white and Asian/Caucasian-fleshtone's. I try very hard to limit my color palette to three colors and less if I can find a way when not shooting B&W.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2010
    fireguy.ed wrote:
    I like them, great use of bokeh! I think #3 over #4, but for me it would have been better if the bra or abdomen/hand was the point of focusne_nau.gif. Eyes open....
    Last one FTW clap.gif

Overall, NICE!!!thumb.gif Only "complaint" would be that her eye make-up doesn't look "finished". Probably not something you could really control. I think more color in the eye makeup for me, but I am only one.... a thousand others will love it...

Sounds like an excuse to do it again! I know we all hate that, taking more pictures...:D
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, the plan is to do this again. I've got plenty to learn :D

Makeup: check. I can 'control' pretty much everything myself, except that lol3.gif Not really my department but I'll make sure I'll pay attention/have her pay attention to it!

Eyes open and point of focus, check. I've got some with different points of focus, I'll see if there is something decent in there thumb.gif.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hey Ivar,
    finally you've decided to try your own "dog food":-)
    I thought I'd share my thoughts tht I hot when I looked at these!
    1) Congrats on breaking the mold! thumb.gif
    2) light is not helping: too bright for the boudoir environment and too even to get any helpful shadows :cry
    3) The pose is classic, but - does she know any other one? ne_nau.gif
    4) "boob grap" is a junkfood of the craft. There are tons of ways to hide the nipples if the effect is desired: angle, props (sheet?), pose,...
    HTH
    Nikolai
    Thanks, Nik thumb.gif I'll see if I can get some ideas on the light and poses thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2010
    angevin1 wrote:
    Ivar...Your first? ...what boudoir shoot? Kudo's my man....you survived it, it appears...despite Eyjafjallajoekull and whatever her name is!

#1. Cool pose, loose the red!

#2. I think It would've looked a wee bit better focusing on her breast for this one leaving her face and legs OOF.

#3. One of my favorite crops: lips-down! I think this would've been better only if her hands had been covering naked breasts.

#4. Does nothing for me and I think you missed it here. Perhaps this pose and crop would work with one visible nipple and that lovely set of lips!

#5. Close tie with the last one for Best-OF-the-Bunch! Looking at the camera with hands over breasts! Superb pose! Just a super-dooper shot Ivar!

#6. I think just the face would make a lovely crop!

#7. See four above. Love the looking away/ pensive/lost in thoughts look!

Light? There is a hundred ways to light this. Lighting is taste, we all know that. Well lit!

Color palette? I try to limit my color palette and get bothered when I cannot. Even though red is hot and all, red was only a sidebar here, against pink, brown, white and Asian/Caucasian-fleshtone's. I try very hard to limit my color palette to three colors and less if I can find a way when not shooting B&W.
    Thanks, Tom thumb.gif The red curtains I couldn't really avoid since this room has (red) curtains on 2 sides and the place is not too big. I tried to exclude it in some shots but I had to get reallllly creative :D I may have to find a different place to shoot.

Thanks for the detailed feedback thumb.gif
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    ivar wrote:
    Thanks, Tom thumb.gif The red curtains I couldn't really avoid since this room has (red) curtains on 2 sides and the place is not too big. I tried to exclude it in some shots but I had to get reallllly creative :D I may have to find a different place to shoot.

Thanks for the detailed feedback thumb.gif

The red, is a really nice red...She'd look nice laid on that red with red only showing, further reducing your colors by one...But still, your first shoot of this type....Can be really, REALLY very challenging dependent upon the person you are working with...Bravo!
    tom wise
  • Options
    dsloandsloan Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    nice pics, although i think i'd like them a bit more if more of the body was in focus. keep it up!
    D300s : Nikkor 35 f/1.8 : Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 : Sigma 85 f/1.4
    won't you like me on facebook?
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Quick female opinion- they are very pretty. I would be pleased to have shots like this of myself. The brightness lends a sense of innocence to the scene. I like the body out of focus. The eyes are beautiful. Yes, there are better poses than hands cupping breasts, but it's not terrible in these shots since her face draws you in. I also like the lighter, day time make-up. Come on, doesn't this conjure fantasies of a mid day rendezvous? Not every boudoir shoot has to be about dramatic shadows and sexy vixens.
  • Options
    atippatipp Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    I totally agree. The feeling of innocence along with the center of focus on the eyes is refreshing. While I am not a portrait nor a boudoir photographer, these images are more inviting and less intimidating than those of a more prurient nature, and I think that is what the photographer was intending.
    Allen

Sony R1, Bogen Tri and Mono Pods, Epson Photo Storage device, and Kata rain gear. I travel light...

www.catgraphpics.biz
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2010
    Thanks for your replies, dsloan, Caroline and Allen thumb.gif

The 'innocence' feel is partly intentional, but may have been enhanced more by my shooting. Since it was my first time shooting I don't think I was ready to go to the dramatic shadows and sexy vixens just yet lol3.gif
  • Options
    d7freestylerd7freestyler Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    Beautiful pictures and beautiful model. Well done.

Love the last one! Those eyes!!
  • Options
    vinovino Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2010
    I don't know crap from crisco, but I know what I like.
    I liked this set, although I can see where some of the comments were going, I think you're definitely headed in the right direction.
    Well done. It will be fun to watch you progress, learning is half the fun!
  • Options
    DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    was this natural or flash or combination? I got my first request for a budoir/nude shoot, and im trying to do some research.
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    Thanks, guys! Ren, these were all natural light.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2010
    Uhmmmm, yum-yum!!!! Where did that come from??? rolleyes1.gif Love them all, think you did great & I bet she is flooooored iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2010
    First off, she's stunning.

Secondly, you should know better by now than to leave your images unnumbered! deal.gif

I hear what Nik is saying about the light, but that's really a taste thing, IMO, and this lighting is nice and flattering. I do agree about the boob grab. You could have been more creative there.

My favorite is the last one. It's the most natural. Like after all the new-to-you-both posing she just let go and was herself.

The first one may be the weakest for me. She's too removed from me, the top of her head isn't all that interesting.

The second one looks like she's about to enjoy a little self-love. I have a feeling that while you wanted her to look sexy, that's not quite what you had in mind. The hair is too messy and the point of interest, her face, is too far off frame.

I like the third one, and for some reason the lips nearly out of frame doesn't bother me. I wonder about the hand, but mostly because of the earlier image in my mind. I do think the shot would be cleaner without her hand on her belly.

The next one is a tosser compared to the one before. So close, but not as good.

Definitely eyes open, although this pose is a bit awkward. Seeing her eyes full like that makes me wish you had shot more of her looking full in the frame and in more natural poses. She is so nice to look at, but even nicer when you can see her eyes. They are engaging.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops