Boston Apartment Photos

ClamrollClamroll Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited August 9, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
So I've been expanding into the real estate photography market, and I've been lucky enough to find a great agent who loves my work and wants to work with me exclusively. While I've mostly shot outdoor HDRs, I've been bringing it indoors on these shoots. I find it to be more of a challenge, because you're trying to represent what the house actually looks like, and you have to be VERY mindful of how far you're deviating from reality.

This most recent batch was a rush job, so they were shot, tonemapped, and corrected in about 12 hours total, including travel time (and a short nap!) Please keep the speed in mind during any critique :)

Click through for larger views on any image!
845501567_BG7Nu-L.jpg
845502548_Soahp-L.jpg
845503400_S8xTu-L.jpg
845504303_urFVi-L.jpg
845505104_BDnuQ-L.jpg
845505924_qtXgx-L.jpg
845506927_WhsLP-L.jpg
845507853_ZN6t5-L.jpg
845556232_N9GNF-L.jpg
Please Look At My Photography!
http://www.AndyCalnan.com/

Comments

• jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    Lighting is great, but you've got some significant distortion happening. Very distracting, IMO.
  • ole docole doc Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2010
    if the point of the images is to sell the apartment, I guess they are OK but not particularly artistic. These are what real estate agents take to put in their portfolio of a property.
    Nick
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    The point of these is to sell the apartment, not the photos. I'm sure the real estate agent is ecstatic with your work (I know I would be). Regarding the distortions, people shopping for apartments don't mind them --in fact, most non-photographers that I know find the wide-angle distortions to be cool.
    I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    I just want to say I think they are extremely well done. Kudos to you.
    edited April 26, 2010
    invisible wrote:
    The point of these is to sell the apartment, not the photos. I'm sure the real estate agent is ecstatic with your work (I know I would be). Regarding the distortions, people shopping for apartments don't mind them --in fact, most non-photographers that I know find the wide-angle distortions to be cool.
    I agree that some might like the effect of the distortion, but no one will mind it not being there. It is not safe to assume that no one shopping for apartments will mind the distortions, or find them distracting, like I do. If Clamroll is spending this much time in post processing, why not take 30 seconds for lens correction? Leaving it distorted is a gamble. Fixing it is not, and it really isn't very time-consuming.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    while these are great shots techinically and better then 95% of the interior shots out there..I think they are just slighly overdone (just oh so slightly_ with the HDR when compared to reality from a purist pov. That said I think they will work quite well wrt what they are supposed to do.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Nice job…

…but they don't seem to have much "pop"; some of them are sort of flat, and there's not much that jumps out at me apart from the distortion.

…also they way you've posted them, they just run into each other with no gap, which is fine if a dark follows a light, but if the backgrounds of sequential pictures are of similar tones, they tend to run into each other.

…also instead of posting 9 pics, I would post 1 link to a page where the images are hosted… (just an idea… ne_nau.gif )

Thanks for sharing!

- Wil
    BTW - Welcome to DGPF!
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Hijack -- this looks like some bad real estate HDR photography? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/reb/1739808786.html
    edited May 14, 2010
    Definitely over processed. You can get that effect very easily in Photomatix if Light Smoothing is not set to "high". On a positive note, they're not distorted :)
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2010
    Interesting conversation with many interesting points. Good food for thought.

Generally speaking I really like the quality of the work you put into the effort.
    Nice lighting throughout. The HDR PP is nice and doesn't overtly disagree with
    me as it sometimes does on a case by case basis.

I wouldn't mind seeing a "normal" single frame image ran through PP just
    for comparison. Agree that a space between pictures would be nice so
    they don't run together. Am curious what equipment was used.
    Michael
  • ClamrollClamroll Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Wow, I forgot about this thread posting and just found it on my referrers page :)

Thanks for all the feedback. As some of you questioned and many of you correctly inferred, these were a job I did for a real estate agent, and yes, he was ecstatic with the results. How he doesn't break his ! key in his "I got your pictures" emails is beyond me lol

I find it interesting that some people say they're over processed, while others say they don't pop enough. I'll have to play more with what light smoothing setting I use in photomatix.

Thanks for all the comments, I'll be checking here more, so keep em coming! I'll be sure to post up more of my new art work (just took a trip to NH again) so we can get some real gritty critique!! :D
    Please Look At My Photography!
    http://www.AndyCalnan.com/
    edited August 9, 2010
    Your pics are not over-processed at all. I was referring to the link that rookieshooter posted. I just wanted to clarify. I'm glad your client was pleased with the pics.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2010
    i can't believe in this day and age this place still has old steam radiators!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com