Fish-Eye Family

PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
edited April 25, 2010 in People
Here's a shot from my photo shoot today, using our new fisheye lens... taken by leaning WAAAAAYY over and holding the camera WAAAAAAYYY out, shooting "blind". There's actually NO straightening/cropping in the shot AT ALL. Just a very slight pop with a "vividity" preset in LR.

The very tip of my shoe was between the guy on frame-left's arm, just used LR's "clone" tool to pop it out of there (grass is easy to clone!)

C/C welcome, and yeah I know they wore white for a shoot taking place in late afternoon in Las Vegas, so whites blew out, but not much I can do, they were in the shade of a tree... figured it was best to correctly expose faces...

845921000_7vBeW-L.jpg

10 extra points for the first person to guess which lady celebrated her FIFTIETH birthday today, and which 3 are her DAUGHTERS!
Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
2 Canon 40d
70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
And a bunch of other stuff ;)

Comments

• kevincaophotographykevincaophotography Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    I personally love the photo! Something very different, especially since fish-eye lenses tend to make people "fatter". VERY impressed since it was a blind shot! Good job! thumb.gif The people on top and bottom look short. :)

Mind if I ask what lens you used?
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Thanks... it's an el-cheapo lens:
    Pro-Optic 8mm f/3.5 Fish-Eye CS which is about $290 at Adorama
    http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/PRO835EOS.html

I'm not 100% satisfied with it, but for the 4 or 5 'specialty' shots per wedding we are using it for, it fits the bill. Couldn't justify spending any more money for the very limited use.

It's also 100% manual and does not send any data to the camera so it won't capture f-stop settings in the EXIF.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Nice picture!

To avoid confusing the camera's meter (all that bright clothing) use manual exposure (metered either incident, or reflected from the skin)

I would guess:

12 o'clock is The Birthday Girl

5, 6, 7 o'clock are the daughters

Nice job!

Thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    I love your creativity in this shot. Very fun use of your new lens.

I guess for me the thing that would make the photo a lot better is some adjustments of the skin tones... they are way too cool / magenta, but that should be a quick fix in PS or LR.:D
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    they are way too cool / magenta, but that should be a quick fix in PS or LR.:D

15524779-Ti.gif Great Shot!! Very fun, super creative. I'm a huge fan of fish-eye lenses!!
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    clap.gif Excellent, creative shot! Usually fish eye and people don't go together (imho), but this is coolthumb.gif
    edited April 25, 2010
    Hmmm, I guess it's time for me to get a monitor calibrator, the skin tones look "warm" on my end - we tend to process on the bright/warm end since we typically do weddings and weddings are bright/warm! :)

Wil: that lens requires shooting in manual but either way I don't think I've purposefully shot a photo on anything but M for the last 3 years. mwink.gif
    IMO the faces are properly exposed, not much else can be done other than extensive dodge/burn in PS to fix up the bright whites? Sux, cuz we specifically tell every client that they can wear anything but whites and stripes.

But thanks everyone for the C/C and comments, it's greatly appreciated!

Oh, and nobody has correctly guessed who the 50yo mom is. :)

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
  • SvennieSvennie Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    I'm probably going to hell for thismwink.gif But I would guess:
    7 o'clock: mam
    12: oldest, followed by 6 and 5 o'clock is the youngest...

If I'm wrong, don't tell the girls :D
    edited April 25, 2010
    Svennie wrote:
    I'm probably going to hell for thismwink.gif But I would guess:
    7 o'clock: mam
    12: oldest, followed by 6 and 5 o'clock is the youngest...

If I'm wrong, don't tell the girls :D

Yep, you are right, but probably not going to hell :)

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d