This morning at 4am.
846037163_LdGS7-L.jpg
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com

Comments

• DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Ya got one. Nice. thumb.gif
    A very fine shot. Well done. :D Reminds me of somewhere in Africa.

Did you get the expected 20 an hour?

Galactic Downtown. Love that piece of sky.
    Michael
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    DaddyO wrote:
    Did you get the expected 20 an hour?

Funny thing is, I don't know. My glasses broke last night. So I went out blind. Set the camera's focus to infinity. I can see well enough to frame with the LCD. The I used the intervalometer to take a 25-sec exposure every 30 sec. I shot for about 20 minutes, and got 3 or 4 frames with meteors.

(I guess I could do the math.)
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    ghinson wrote:
    Funny thing is, I don't know. My glasses broke last night. So I went out blind. Set the camera's focus to infinity. I can see well enough to frame with the LCD. The I used the intervalometer to take a 25-sec exposure every 30 sec. I shot for about 20 minutes, and got 3 or 4 frames with meteors.

(I guess I could do the math.)
    1) Nice shot! thumb.gif Love the tree and the Milky Way! clap.gif
    2) Kudos for going out! bowdown.gif
    3) 25 sec exposures? Interesting.... I was under a stroing impression that one starts getting the "star streaks" after 15 sec. Your stars look as dots, not as streaks.
    I guess either it's due to a low resolution/small size of the web image presented, or I need to reconsider my star-shooting habits...headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Very well done thumb.gif
    Like was mentioned by Nikolai, i to thought there would be some trails with that long of an exposure. headscratch.gif
    Devin
  • humanrrhumanrr Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Beautiful....

I'm jealous, we've had nothing but overcast skies. :cry
    edited April 24, 2010
    I did an experiment last year and found 25 sec to work. I've printed ones like this as large as 11x14 and they stay as dots. When I really zoom in though, you can see some movement.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Nikolai wrote:
    3) 25 sec exposures? Interesting.... I was under a stroing impression that one starts getting the "star streaks" after 15 sec. Your stars look as dots, not as streaks.
    I guess either it's due to a low resolution/small size of the web image presented, or I need to reconsider my star-shooting habits...headscratch.gif
    The time it takes the stars to show streaks depends on the focal length. If you're using an ultra-wide angle, you can expose for about 30 seconds and still get dots, not trails. The longer the focal length, the shorter the exposure before trails start showing.

It's a beautiful shot, and the foreground tree takes it to the next level.

EDIT: On another forum, someone posted this formula for 35mm format: 600/(Focal Length) = Maximum Exposure Time. So, for example, if you're shooting with a 24mm lens the math would be: 600/24mm = 25 seconds. An exposure longer than 25 seconds will give you trails.
    I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • jsquerijsqueri Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    Fantastic astro shot and the tree adds nicely to the composition.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    invisible wrote:
    The time it takes the stars to show streaks depends on the focal length. If you're using an ultra-wide angle, you can expose for about 30 seconds and still get dots, not trails. The longer the focal length, the shorter the exposure before trails start showing.

It's a beautiful shot, and the foreground tree takes it to the next level.

EDIT: On another forum, someone posted this formula for 35mm format: 600/(Focal Length) = Maximum Exposure Time. So, for example, if you're shooting with a 24mm lens the math would be: 600/24mm = 25 seconds. An exposure longer than 25 seconds will give you trails.

Interesting.. Thank you for sharing.thumb.gif
    I never heard of this "600" rule... Hey, look, ma, I learned something! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 24, 2010
    invisible wrote:
    On another forum, someone posted this formula for 35mm format: 600/(Focal Length) = Maximum Exposure Time. So, for example, if you're shooting with a 24mm lens the math would be: 600/24mm = 25 seconds. An exposure longer than 25 seconds will give you trails.

Excellent. That explains it. These were 14-24mm!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010