edited April 24, 2010
    Cute. It is a great candid shot!
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Powerful!

Virginia

Thank you Virginia,
    This is one of the few times I saw everything fall into place before snapping the shot. I wanted it to be a powerful shot and I'm glad it came through that way for you.

On a side note, the child is seated apart from the rest of the second grade class on a daily basis, knowing that backstory when I shot this, it made it more powerful to me, especially amid all the encouraging "keep your imagination" poster and the crooked signs and the window guards etc.

This so far is one of the first shots I've been really proud of taking.

So thank you.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 25, 2010
    thomasjm wrote:
    Cute. It is a great candid shot!

Thank you thomasjm :)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Awesome moment in time, captured forever thanks to you lizzard :)
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Really terrific Liz - one of your all-time best. Watching you develop as a photographer over the past year has been a real joy. Seriously. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    Very effective capture Liz.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    this is very powerful Liz, perhaps my favourite of all your work.

Do they let you take photos of children in the classroom? That is a HUGE no-no up here. No school photos, no patient photos in hospital.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited April 25, 2010
    Awesome moment in time, captured forever thanks to you lizzard :)

Thank you Sword and Scales
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 25, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Really terrific Liz - one of your all-time best. Watching you develop as a photographer over the past year has been a real joy. Seriously. :D

bowdown.gif thanks B.D.
    I'm enjoying the trip immensly.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 25, 2010
    Harryb wrote:
    Very effective capture Liz.

Thank you Harry.

It was a real treat to have you visit this forum in your earlier post.
    Glad to see you posting here.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 25, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    this is very powerful Liz, perhaps my favourite of all your work.

Do they let you take photos of children in the classroom? That is a HUGE no-no up here. No school photos, no patient photos in hospital.

Patti, it's my favorite too.
    It was a real shock to actually see the entire shot before shooting it--sometimes I get lucky with my shots and don't realize I have something good til later. With this one, I saw it and went for it, praying he wouldn't move for a couple of seconds, I was holding my breath.

As for the classroom, it was a "writing workshop" celebration where some of the kids presented improvised fairy tales. My son was one of the kids reading that day so I took my camera. I did it before and so far I haven't been told not to take photographs. I hope the rules don't change.

Thanks for commenting Patti.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Love the shot.

I see a boy who is already failing at school and what you captured shows this well. He probably does not have the attention or focus to abide by the class rules and is probably well behind his peers academically. He needs someone to befriend him and find a way to reach him so that he has a chance to be successful.

Nice job getting this shot!
    edited April 26, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Love the shot.

I see a boy who is already failing at school and what you captured shows this well. He probably does not have the attention or focus to abide by the class rules and is probably well behind his peers academically. He needs someone to befriend him and find a way to reach him so that he has a chance to be successful.

Great interpretation of Liz's wonderful capture, rainbow.clap.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
    edited April 26, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Love the shot.

Wow! How in Gd's name do you see that?! ne_nau.gif (How about - A little boy who is tired and is rubbing his eyes? How about a little boy who is finished and is resting?) Given Jen's explanation of the shoot, and the fact that it was a writing workshop, for which the kids were obviously selected...I wonder...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Wow! How in Gd's name do you see that?! ne_nau.gif (How about - A little boy who is tired and is rubbing his eyes? How about a little boy who is finished and is resting?) Given Jen's explanation of the shoot, and the fact that it was a writing workshop, for which the kids were obviously selected...I wonder...

Now there's a typo. Liz and I might be still learning, but we haven't quite merged yet! headscratch.gif

I've been thinking about this shot for a while and I agree with you. The shot is excellent, but I don't get a sense of him being downtrodden or at imagination's end. Just tired or maybe embarrassed after something funny was said in class. There are any number of interpretations.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 26, 2010
    michswiss wrote:
    There are any number of interpretations.

nod.gif That's what makes it a good shot.
    edited April 26, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    nod.gif That's what makes it a good shot.

Exactly. Just like the meaning of lyrics in music, it is all open to the interpretation of the individual listening.

patti hinton photography
    edited April 26, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:

I really like the different takes on this shot, so I guess that's what helps to make it work, that it could be interpreted in different ways.

I also think Rainbow made her statement because of my reply to Virginia, saying that the child is seated apart from the rest of the class on a daily basis (year round). From the little I know, he does have some issues that the teacher feels that he must be seperated from the rest of the class to help keep order in her overcrowded classroom.

I do think however in this shot that he was just bored--I had been watching him since he was seated so close to me and he was prying his eyes open (I missed this shot), yawning, etc. and then this shot.

So maybe Rainbow is not too far off the mark. I think the way teachers are dealing with him is by moving him apart and away--it might work to help keep their class in order, but I imagine it probably has a negative effect, even if he doesn't seem too bothered by it.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    rainbow wrote:
    Love the shot.

I agree with rainbow, I'm looking at the words in the window above his head:
    class goals, to compare, problem. Those words just jump out at me for some reason.
    And finally, "keep your imagination" as in "don't ever give up"
    Just my take on it.
    Great Shot!clap.gif
    edited April 26, 2010
    Brewster wrote:
    I agree with rainbow, I'm looking at the words in the window above his head:
    class goals, to compare, problem. Those words just jump out at me for some reason.
    And finally, "keep your imagination" as in "don't ever give up"
    Just my take on it.
    Great Shot!clap.gif

Okay, here's a little exercise:

Look carefully at this wonderful image. Look at the elements. Now...Close your eyes, and visualize the photo. But see a white boy, with straight, blond hair falling over his forehead. Wearing the same shirt as this boy. In fact, everything in the photo is the same - the sign, the pose, the posture; everything - except the race of the subject. Now, we see "a boy who is already failing at school," who "probably does not have the attention or focus to abide by the class rules and is probably well behind his peers academically. He needs someone to befriend him and find a way to reach him so that he has a chance to be successful," or do we see a tired little boy who's taking a rest on his desk? Or a little boy who's finished with the assignment and is imagining he's outside playing? Or a little boy who's thinking about what he's going to write next?

Just wondering...And that gets me wondering once again about the unanswerable questions about photography and truth, truth beyond the truth of the specific light impulses captured by the sensor or film. ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Okay, here's a little exercise:

Look carefully at this wonderful image. Look at the elements. Now...Close your eyes, and visualize the photo. But see a white boy, with straight, blond hair falling over his forehead. Wearing the same shirt as this boy. In fact, everything in the photo is the same - the sign, the pose, the posture; everything - except the race of the subject. Now, we see "a boy who is already failing at school," who "probably does not have the attention or focus to abide by the class rules and is probably well behind his peers academically. He needs someone to befriend him and find a way to reach him so that he has a chance to be successful," or do we see a tired little boy who's taking a rest on his desk? Or a little boy who's finished with the assignment and is imagining he's outside playing? Or a little boy who's thinking about what he's going to write next?

Just wondering...And that gets me wondering once again about the unanswerable questions about photography and truth, truth beyond the truth of the specific light impulses captured by the sensor or film. ne_nau.gif

I'm not sure you should be injecting Ethnicity into this. I looked thru the replies and don't see it mentioned. Where's is that coming from?

I did a little exercise of my own today:

I showed this to every coworker, family member, one or two friends of various Ethnicities.

Overwhelming there responses were that the child was less then happy. Words like, sad, overwhelmed, sobbing, embarrassed and bored. Not one person thought he was sleeping, resting etc..
    When I asked why again overwhelming the response, his cupped hands!

The 1st responder to this image called it "Powerful" I agree it is because it's "Unanimous".
    edited April 28, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    I'm not sure you should be injecting Ethnicity into this. I looked thru the replies and don't see it mentioned. Where's is that coming from?

I showed this to every coworker, family member, one or two friends of various Ethnicities.

Overwhelming there responses were that the child was less then happy. Words like, sad, overwhelmed, sobbing, embarrassed and bored. Not one person thought he was sleeping, resting etc..

The 1st responder to this image called it "Powerful" I agree it is because it's "Unanimous".

After reading bd's post I went back to take another look. It was the hand posture that gave the shot it's meaning for me as well. It could have been a child with green skin and pink polka dots and my reaction would be the same. I posted a photo last year for my 52 week project of a friend with his hand cupped over his face. Everyone's reaction was the same: poor upset man, my heart aches for his sorrow etc etc etc. The kicker was that he covered his face while rolling his eyes and shaking his head in disbelief at a humourous comment I made. mwink.gif The 'reality' of the photo was very different from the perceived meaning it had for those viewing it.

patti hinton photography
  • sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Very nice picture Liz, thx for sharing. I agree with Patti: the hand posture makes this shot!
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Me ==> :rutt

It's an excellent shot, but it's not powerful. To be powerful, there needs to be something connecting me to the situation other than a boy with his face in his well manicured hands. There's no sense of struggle or frustration or resignation. I would be surprised if he isn't laughing or otherwise having a good time. Maybe he's simply embarrassed at Liz snapping the image? ne_nau.gif But the image is definitely ambiguous. mwink.gif
  • silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Wow, Liz, great shot! clap.gif

For the record, I saw a little boy with great angst. The way he has his hands and they way they're holding his head show this to me. It reminds me of all the times when I was going through school and "didn't get it." I excelled at math and science, but reading, writing and other language arts always left me struggling. All I could do was bury my face.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
    edited April 28, 2010
    bfjr wrote:

Of course no one mentions ethnicity, Ben, what's to mention? I'm simply suggesting that were the child white, the reactions might be different. That's all.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Of course no one mentions ethnicity, Ben, what's to mention? I'm simply suggesting that were the child white, the reactions might be different. That's all.
    If you significantly change the central character in almost any picture, the reactions are most likely to be different. Cheers.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:

Fair enough.
    For me the body position says, "I'm not having a great moment" no matter the ethnicity.

I do think Liz would of had a problem with contrast adjustment in post, had the boy been white rolleyes1.gif