will this lens work with my camera's??

blueflames50blueflames50 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited April 30, 2010 in Cameras
hi there....I have tried researching this with not much luck....does anyone know if this lens will work with my Nikon D70s or D80 camera body? the lens is Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO for Nikon
any comments on the quality of this lens is appreciated also...anyone have one, if so what do you like or dislike about it. thanks

Comments

• ecowarriorecowarrior Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    hi there....I have tried researching this with not much luck....does anyone know if this lens will work with my Nikon D70s or D80 camera body? the lens is Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO for Nikon
    any comments on the quality of this lens is appreciated also...anyone have one, if so what do you like or dislike about it. thanks

Yeh that lens should work fine on either of those two camera bodies. The 'For Nikon' means it's will fit them no problem, plus will meter OK. AND because both of those cameras have the autofocussing motor in-body, the lens will auto-focus fine even without a motor in the lens (which I'm not sure it does).

I had a very similar lens (by Tamron) for my Nikon D50 a while back. Worked fine, though a little slow to autofocus. I'd imagine it would be rather similar to the Sigma though. Don't expect *miracles* with it - it will give you good but not exceptional results, but it shouldn't cost a fortune either.
    ---
    Nikon D200, SB-600, 105mm Micro VR, 50mm 1.8, 18-70mm
  • blueflames50blueflames50 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    ecowarrior wrote:
    Yeh that lens should work fine on either of those two camera bodies. The 'For Nikon' means it's will fit them no problem, plus will meter OK. AND because both of those cameras have the autofocussing motor in-body, the lens will auto-focus fine even without a motor in the lens (which I'm not sure it does).

I had a very similar lens (by Tamron) for my Nikon D50 a while back. Worked fine, though a little slow to autofocus. I'd imagine it would be rather similar to the Sigma though. Don't expect *miracles* with it - it will give you good but not exceptional results, but it shouldn't cost a fortune either.

the guy want $180 for it...going on Amazon for $209....don't think that's too bad a price he's asking.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    ecowarrior wrote:
    AND because both of those cameras have the autofocussing motor in-body, the lens will auto-focus fine even without a motor in the lens (which I'm not sure it does).

According to SLRgear.com's review, this lens has its own focusing motor (not HSM, but a somewhat noisy electric motor), so it should work on any Nikon DSLR.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/230/cat/31

Doesn't look like a great lens by any means, but if $200 is all one can afford, it's probably as good as one has any right to expect for the price.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2010
    I have a 70-300mm Sigma APO DG Macro lens for Canon-mount, I believe its the same as the one you're looking in getting (mine has a red ring on the tip if that helps).

I believe they go for cheaper now online, did you check the price new at BH and Adorama and Ebay?

I use the lens for automotive shoots, it has a slow autofocus motor, but not too slow. If you go on my galleries, I shot almost all my automotive races with that lens:

http://gallery.third3ye.net/Automotive-Events/VegasDrift-VD013-August-22/Choice-Images/9438210_xUT8R#633252931_4gBhS

I like it a lot, its really cheap and light. If you plan on shooting in daytime where low-light is not your primary focus of use, its a great lens. However, if you plan to cover low-light events such as concerts and such, this film is not for you. I suggest saving up and getting a 70-200mm 2.8 lens or using primes with at least 1.8 max apertures.

But.. if this is your first telephoto lens, its a great buy. I believe I bought mine for $150 used. Try your luck around other forums and Ebay. This lens is sharp at F8 and up, anything below and it is just satisfactory. I especially enjoy the 1:2 macro ratio on its top end. I think its a worthwhile purchase! thumb.gif

Here's another set:
    http://gallery.third3ye.net/Automotive-Events/VD010-VegasDrift-Event-LVMS/Choice-Images/7430940_cpbuY#479827963_iNpDb

Its a desirable lens to have. I would not pay over $200 shipped, anything less than that will be worthwhile if price included shipping.
    Best of luck!
  • blueflames50blueflames50 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    mr peas wrote:
    I have a 70-300mm Sigma APO DG Macro lens for Canon-mount, I believe its the same as the one you're looking in getting (mine has a red ring on the tip if that helps).

I believe they go for cheaper now online, did you check the price new at BH and Adorama and Ebay?

I use the lens for automotive shoots, it has a slow autofocus motor, but not too slow. If you go on my galleries, I shot almost all my automotive races with that lens:

http://gallery.third3ye.net/Automotive-Events/VegasDrift-VD013-August-22/Choice-Images/9438210_xUT8R#633252931_4gBhS

I like it a lot, its really cheap and light. If you plan on shooting in daytime where low-light is not your primary focus of use, its a great lens. However, if you plan to cover low-light events such as concerts and such, this film is not for you. I suggest saving up and getting a 70-200mm 2.8 lens or using primes with at least 1.8 max apertures.

But.. if this is your first telephoto lens, its a great buy. I believe I bought mine for $150 used. Try your luck around other forums and Ebay. This lens is sharp at F8 and up, anything below and it is just satisfactory. I especially enjoy the 1:2 macro ratio on its top end. I think its a worthwhile purchase! thumb.gif

Here's another set:
    http://gallery.third3ye.net/Automotive-Events/VD010-VegasDrift-Event-LVMS/Choice-Images/7430940_cpbuY#479827963_iNpDb

Its a desirable lens to have. I would not pay over $200 shipped, anything less than that will be worthwhile if price included shipping.
    Best of luck!
    thanks everyone...I decided to pass on this lens and save my $$ for the lens I really really want Nikon AF micro 70-180mm....I do have a 70-200mm sweet lens...just want to get a better macro/micro lens than the 60mm I have.
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    I have had that lens and shot it on my D50. It worked fine but it is not the best. I bought a 75-300mm Nikon f 4.5-5.6 push pull zoom used on ebay it is much better than the Sigma IMO better build quality and contrast. Heavier though. Sigma is really soft on the long end. Nikon 75-300 not 70-300 which is the newer model and more pricey. But sometimes found as a good deal when someone is upgrading
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    thanks everyone...I decided to pass on this lens and save my $$ for the lens I really really want Nikon AF micro 70-180mm....I do have a 70-200mm sweet lens...just want to get a better macro/micro lens than the 60mm I have.

Do not get the Sigma for macro, haha..its way too slow on the far end, you'll need to use a tripod to get great results. If you have that 70-200, def save your money!