32225967-M.jpg

32224972-M-1.jpg

32224992-M-2.jpg
www.finnegan.smugmug.com

Comments

• JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    Hi Gerald,

These are daring self-portraits! I like that you are trying to portray some personality with them. The first is my least favorite, as it has a bit too much shine on the forehead to me, sort of like a hot summer night portrait.

The last three all have different things that I like about them. #2 is my favorite. I like the composition and expression a lot. I think it seems maybe a bit overexposed and/or flat. If you know how to do a burn or multiply layer, try it at about 10-20%, I think you'll get more texture and depth. Really like this one.

The last is very untraditional, so I naturally like it. Man, that shot reminds me of Einstein.

Nice job!

Jim

H
    Self-Portaits

14102857-M-9.jpg

32225967-M.jpg

32224972-M-1.jpg

32224992-M-2.jpg
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    Good self portraits, I especially like the style of No.4. thumb.gif
  • geraldfinnegangeraldfinnegan Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    Re: Portraits
    Hi Gerald,

These are daring self-portraits! I like that you are trying to portray some personality with them. The first is my least favorite, as it has a bit too much shine on the forehead to me, sort of like a hot summer night portrait.

The last three all have different things that I like about them. #2 is my favorite. I like the composition and expression a lot. I think it seems maybe a bit overexposed and/or flat. If you know how to do a burn or multiply layer, try it at about 10-20%, I think you'll get more texture and depth. Really like this one.

The last is very untraditional, so I naturally like it. Man, that shot reminds me of Einstein.

Nice job!

Jim

H
    Thanks for all the helpful words. No , i don't know about the multiplying layers thing-if you have time I'd love to read about it. All 4 are thin as far as raw material, the first but 1/20th or less of 3.2 magapixel night shot that looked awful, full body seated on a bench, but seeing something in the expression I liked I did the best I could with the cut.
    The other 3 are film, first two cuts of larger shot of seated figure, about 2/3 of the area of the original for the 2nd, (the one you like best), and the 3rd a cut of that. The last is about 1/10 cut of the original. The film for the three was ASA 800 color, de-saturated, (and toned sepia for the third).
    Only the first was really planned, using a tripod-the others were spur of the moment with the camera placed on nearby rock or the bench, me setting a 10 sec delay and racing to sit down and "pose" before the shutter clicked (and in public in New York, which is the only city you could get away with such odd behavior and not be taken away in a straight-jacket)
    I do get told I look like Einstein, as well as Mark Twain. It's the hair .
    best and thanks again
    jerry
    www.finnegan.smugmug.com
  • geraldfinnegangeraldfinnegan Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    re: thanks!
    SnapHappy wrote:
    Good self portraits, I especially like the style of No.4. thumb.gif
    Thanks for writing, i'm glad you like them. #4 is my "Don't Tread On Me" look.
    best
    jerry
    www.finnegan.smugmug.com