Wwhich lenses to take?

rc madrc mad Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited April 26, 2010 in Cameras
hi guys, don't post here much (i'm usually over on baldy's other site) but i'm after a bit of advice.

In August I'm heading off to the yukon for two weeks canoing down the river, i currently own a 350d, possibly a bit long in the tooth now compared to the 5D but perfect for what i need. The lenses i currently own are the canon EFS 18 -55mm and a sigma Dg 70-300mm (there is also a tokina 500mm mirror lens that doesn't get used much)

Are those lenses going to be ok for mainly wildlife / scenery photography or am i better going with a different lens. Personally i think the 18-55 is to short and i'd be better suited finding a lens in the 18 -85mm range.

Don't know about the sigma lens, it's always produced good shots but i find it a bit lacking at the long end of the zoom, i may just hire an L lens for a couple of weeks :D

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    those should ber fine except for the tween hours ......early morn and late evening.....that will require long exposures as the 350 is not a good low light high ISO camera........or you could rent from someone like borrowlenses.com and get some fast glass for the vacation.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Personally I think you should have something wider. The Canon 10-22mm would be a great addition. But, if you didn't want to change lenses much, the 15-85mm is a superb lens except in low light. It gets very good reviews and the quality is exceptional.

But... those are expensive, so what's your budget?