Last Dance

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited May 6, 2010 in People
- The VERY last prom for our kids.....:barb

...and it was a pitiful rainy day for photos....so....just one.

846084183_hVQet-L.jpg

...and I may just not be around Dgrin much for awhile. I have some "stuff" going on that I plan to capture as a photographic project....but will be attempting to do it all on Medium Format film with my new to me Yashica Mat 124G TLR. Hopefully Ill stumble onto a film forum online that is as helpful as Dgrin has been.

...and if anyone has any old Bay1/ Bay 30 accessory lenses or filters that will fit a Yashica or Rollie TLR....well...email me if you would be interested in parting with them.:thumb

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Radiant! Even in the gloom. thumb.gif

Jeff, I certainly will miss seeing your work, and reading your feedback. You have helped me a lot in my growth. Best of luck in your project and in wherever life takes you.

Hope to see you back again sometime soon.

-a
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Jeff,

I'm sorry to see you leave us - even if it is only for a while. Looking forward to seeing you back in the fold.

As for the photo - this is gorgeous. The light is just so soft and smooth.

And, I have to say that I always enjoying seeing photos of your girls. Gorgeous, just like their mother (I remember seeing a photo of your DW a short while ago so I know :D). But, "gorgeous" is just genetics. Your daughters always seem to portray so much more than just a touch of class and that is all on you and your DW.

Anyway, don't be a stranger!
  • jeffm2009jeffm2009 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2010
    That's an excellent photo, I wish my prom photos had been this good back in the day =P
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Jeff, by all standards that one is a clear winner. Congrats.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Radiant! Even in the gloom. thumb.gif

Jeff, I certainly will miss seeing your work, and reading your feedback. You have helped me a lot in my growth. Best of luck in your project and in wherever life takes you.

Hope to see you back again sometime soon.

-a

Hey...I appreciate that...and it isn't like Im moving to Filmoslovia or anything...I just want to concentrate for awhile on some personal photography...landscape and still life work (which I know little about)....and I want to do it with film!:D
    edited April 28, 2010
    Jeff,

I'm sorry to see you leave us - even if it is only for a while. Looking forward to seeing you back in the fold.

Ill just be a bit scarce until I get done with my little project!

As for the photo - this is gorgeous. The light is just so soft and smooth.

The light....well...a single 580EX in the shoe. Unmodified. As simple as simple gets.
    And, I have to say that I always enjoying seeing photos of your girls. Gorgeous, just like their mother (I remember seeing a photo of your DW a short while ago so I know :D). But, "gorgeous" is just genetics. Your daughters always seem to portray so much more than just a touch of class and that is all on you and your DW.

Anyway, don't be a stranger!

Thanks Scott.

Really.
    edited April 28, 2010
    jeffm2009 wrote:
    That's an excellent photo, I wish my prom photos had been this good back in the day =P

Hey....and welcome to Dgrin.
    edited April 28, 2010
    Hackbone wrote:
    Jeff, by all standards that one is a clear winner. Congrats.

Thanks Hack.

Im super excited about working with film again. I spoke in person today with a guy who has made his lifes work on film. He knew all about the camera I am expecting to recieve (any day now...) and had some great suggestions as to how to approach the workflow and also some great info on TLR cameras in general. He gave me the 20 minute parralax lecture that will REALLY come in handy.

I recieved my Yashica tele and wide angle lens sets today. Sheesh...in their original boxes, with caps, cases, and instructions, and silica gel packs. The tele set appears to have NEVER been mounted. They are absolutely MINT, and I have those and film here waiting for the camera to arrive. Im stoked!

...and nervous that there will be a huge descrepency between the metering of my canon digitals and the latitude of the MF film. I plan to use the 50D histogram as a light meter....and transfer the settings to the Yashica. I hope I dont blow a pile of film!

The Yashica has its own meter, but modern batteries produce a different voltage which renders it inaccurate...so...I REALLY probably need a hand held meter. WE shall see.
    edited April 28, 2010
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    beautiful shots of your beautiful girl.
    I will miss your regular posts.............but also looking forward to you sharing your new project when it is time.

I recently bought a few rolls of film myself. Going to play as soon as I get the batteries for my old Rebel.
    The hardest part is taking 24 photos all at the same ISO. lol. How quickly digital spoils you.

Have fun "growing" along with your project. Its always good to expand your horizons.
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    the light is this is amazing, especially is such dreary conditions. beautiful photograph.
    Kristen
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ...just one more...

846088983_MbPRb-S.jpg
    Another beautiful shot - just need to remove the hair that's crossing her right eye.

Oh, and I do believe you'll be burning through the film a bit before you nail down the differences between digital and film exposure - especially if you're shooting print film.

And, yes, I do believe a good light meter is in your future. If you decide to get one, there are good arguments for getting a decent spot meter as well as incident capabilities.
  • MisterMcCruffMisterMcCruff Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    Beautiful images.
    Nice work.
    Cameras: Gripped 30D, EOS 33 35mm, Ricoh KR10, Sony DSC-H7.
    Lenses:
    Canon 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II, Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM.
    Lighting:
    Canon 430EX II, Nikon SB24, Konig stand, Stofen omnibounce, 33" brolly, DIY beauty dish + diffusers.
    Misc: UV+CPL filters, reverse mount adapters, Velbon tripod. Photoshop CS3

*clicky flickr clicky*
  • rogerchesterrogerchester Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    Hey drop us a update every once and awhile. Love your stuff. If your film work is anything light your photos look out film world!
    canon 40D EF70- 200mm 1:2.8 l is usm EF28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • idoteechidoteech Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    From a fellow "Baton Rouge" photographer, you will be missed. I really enjoy seeing your work.

Beautiful shot of your daughter. She is indeed gorgeous!

God Bless your film endeavor. I look forward to seeing your work soon.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Awesome shot, Jeff. I have a thing for rain-shots but this one is really nice iloveyou.gif

Don't be too much of a stranger! We love to have you around!