Canon lens questions

toybreaker71toybreaker71 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited April 26, 2010 in Cameras
I am in the market for a couple lenses(is that the plural :) ) and need a little guidance.

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L - Are there different versions? I have that there there may be an IS version but dont see it anywhere. Is this something that was a pipe dream or is it coming out sometime soon? The best price I can find is $1050 used. I did find one for 900 with some body blemishes, is that a big factor?

Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS - How big of a difference will the IS make? Is it worth the 500ish in price difference I am seeing? What would you folks say a good used price is I should look for?

Any other tips on either of these lenses? And lastly, anyone got ones they wanna sell :)

Thanks for the help and the tips in advance.

Comments

• toybreaker71toybreaker71 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2010
    oh dang, - mods can you move this to Canon land for me...my bad..sorry
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    There is no IS version of the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L yet. There are rumors that one may be announced this year, but only rumors.

IS in the 70-200mm lenses is well worth the extra money if you expect to shoot hand-held a lot with subjects that are not moving much.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    The older version of the 24-70mm f2.8 L is a 28-70mm--I have that lens--you can find them for sale used quite often at decent prices. There is no IS version I know of.

In answer to your IS question regarding the 70-200mm, it all depends on what you plan to shoot. If you're shooting things like sports in bright lights, IS may not be as valuable to you--many people suggest turning IS off in these circumstances as it (slightly) slows the focus down with IS on. If you're going to shoot a lot of lower-light shots, then IS is well worth it. The IS on the 70-200 is pretty darn good.