Options

Return of the 6' model

XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
edited August 16, 2005 in People
Same shoot as previous, different outfit.

31938905-L.jpg

31939099-L.jpg

31939577-L.jpg

31939848-L.jpg

31940173-L.jpg

31939079-L.jpg

Let me know what you think?

To: Humungus: Enjoy, here is some more cryptonite :wink
To: Rutt: This is still the same shoot, next shoot there will be props.

XO,
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com

Comments

• Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    I love the expression in the first shot! Is it my screen or does her neck look dirty in the last one? How about some models for the 5'8" and under crowd? lol
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    I love #4. Great pose. Boy those legs just go on forever don't they?
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    Nice set. What's your studio set up? The last one will need PS work. Most close face shots do.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 15, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    I love #4. Great pose. Boy those legs just go on forever don't they?
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    Nothing in these shots is particularly interesting to me.

I scroll down and don't stop, like I am waiting for something to jump out at me. She seems very card-board cut out and stiff in the pictures... she could benefit from some movement. Also, is there some way to make the lighting a bit more interesting? Flat light and white background is a bit boring. Some makeup could add interest to her face, and her hair is un-interesting to say the least.

I agree that #4 is the best because the pose is the most unusual. Her face is very static. It sounds corny but try asking her to "talk with her eyes" to give them a bit of intensity. Her expression in #1 is the best. #2 and 3 she seems bored and that is portrayed throughout the whole photo.

Otherwise, to me, she looks like a gawky basketball player in a dress and high heels. But I'm horribly rude and appologize in advance. eek7.gif And in all honesty, what the hell do I know?!
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    XO, good shots, but I agree with Khaos about the last one. I took the liberty of working it a little for you.
    • Cloned out some of the slight blimishes
    • Duplicated layer
    • Added gaussian blur to the top layer (I used 6 pixels for this lo-res shot, but you will need about 20 for a hi-res one)
    • Set opacity on the top layer to 50%
    • To keep the major points of interest in sharp focus, I used the eraser to remove the top layer around the eyes, a little around the eyebrows, and some around the mouth.
    • Flatten the layers
    As a rule, close-ups on most women which are too sharp just aren't flattering.

Hope you didn't mind me working on this one a little. mwink.gif

Here is a link to a webpage with portrait lighting setups which should help vary the lighting.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    To All,
    to 4labs:
    I am sure I will eventually get around to a 5-8 model, and as PM'd my previous shoot has the 5-1 model with the large tattoo. She has a slight skin discoloration thst is what you see.

to Rahmonster:
    Thanks for the comments.

to Khaos:
    Yes does indeed need PS work, I just need to get less complacent, and do the work that is needed for each picture, as of late has become challenging given the sheer amount of pictures. As far as light setup, I have 2 White Lightning Ultra 1200's, one with a shoot through umbrella, and the other with a reflective umbrella, but with a white cover to furter soften it. (next purchase will be a softbox)

to Pathfinder:
    yes they do, next shoot I will try Rutt's suggestion and use a prop that gives sense of scale.

to Owen:
    I have seen you portraits, you know things you can still teach me.
    I agree, this was the second outfit of the shoot and she has a very 'flat' look in her eyes. It was two outfits later when her eyes started to become more expressive, and it brings the whole picture to life, you were right on. (unfortunately, the last shoot is not fit for DGrin or SmugMug for that manner)This is also the first shoot I have done with her, and I am still learning to go from technogeek to portrait photographer; i.e. applying what I know rather than just recalling the facts. My lights, are a little too much for this setup, I have one down all teh way to f/32 and the other at f/16 to get a 1:2 ratio, which I believe is visible in teh pictures, but realistically I wish I could turn down my lights for these types of shoots, a gel holder and a neutral gel are on their way. I started out with this (Savanah Light Grey) backdrop as it was the most universal what I could afford at the time. (Next on my list besides a softbox will be a hair and/or background light)

to Dixie:
    Thanks for the great photoshop work, and the advice. As a cheat, and this is advanced PS. Copy the layer, use blur, smart blur, edge only, adjusts ettings till it looks good. Invert this layer, now you have a mask that you can use to mask the blurred layer as the edge only picked the details for you.

Thanks everyone for taking the time.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com