Options

Images from Alaska

hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited June 15, 2004 in Wildlife
This is the 3rd time I have tried this post. The first 2 were fairly long with several images. This time only a couple for a test.

Just got back from Alaska. I took 1700 photos on the trip, the following 2 are my favorites.

4864166-L.jpg

The second -

4875251-L.jpg

Hope this works this time!

Hutch

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2004
    Beautiful!!
    Beautiful shots. Hope you find a few more in that many pics.
    Snappy
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    #2 is very evocative for me. I went kayaking in the Inside Passage about 10 years ago and have lots of memories just like that, but no photos that good.
    Beautiful!
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2004
    Works for me! Lovely, I especially like the first one.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2004
    I think I'll try a few more. During the original attempts, I would preview the post and the whole darn thing would disappear. Kinda bums you out when you spend close to an hour with text and photos!

Anyway, this was a trip that celebrated our 30th anniversary. It was a year late but what the heck. It was a great time. If you have never taken a cruise, take one. It can't be beat.

We boarded the ship in Seattle. What a beautiful city!

4875218-L.jpg

My goal was to capture some images of the my impressions of Alaska as we experienced the state as tourists.

It is clear to me this part of the state would not survive without seaplanes. They were in every port of call mostly hauling tourists I think.

4875216-L.jpg

The next one was taken from the steps of the state capital in Juneau. Cruise ships have become a large part of the economy in southeast Alaska.

4875222-L.jpg

Creek Street in Ketchikan. This was Ketchikan's red light district in the early days.

4861106-L.jpg

These 2 somehow capture the feeling of the old days! They are twins and very friendly if you tip 'em!

4861108-L.jpg

A misty waterfall in the fiord leading up to the Sawyer Glacier.

4875255-L.jpg

For those of you who have not seen ice from a glacier. The shade of blue is unbelievable.

4875215-L.jpg

Sawyer Glacier in the distance. This one was taken as we were leaving and shows why we sometimes want/need to limit human access to the wilderness. The brown smudge in the sky is the residue from the ship's exhaust.

4864181-L.jpg

We received this welcome as we arrived in Prince Ruppert, BC. This was only the second time a cruise ship had stopped there and the locals were very glad to have the opportunity to extract some Greenbacks from their southern neighbors!

4864176-L.jpg

An early AM shot coming into Ketchikan.

4861120-L.jpg

And finally, a late afternoon shot of Haines, Alaska.

4861117-L.jpg

I cannot stress enough how much we enjoyed this trip. Sell the dog, the house, the car, or whatever it takes, but treat yourself to a cruise.

This is the ultimate vacation.

Hutch
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    Wow!! All of your photos are beautiful and so clear. What are you shooting with, camera, lens?
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    Very nice! thanks for sharing those spectacular shots
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    clap.gif Great stuff, Hutch. Ironically, of all your good photos, I like the Seattle shot the most. Awesome cloud with the buildings.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2004
    Beautiful place and lovely shots, thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2004
    Thanks for the kind words.

Sandy - the camera is a 10D with either a 24-70 or 70-200 Sigma lens.

Waxy - for all the images of Alaska, I think the best was the shot of Seattle.

The problem for me is going through all 1700 pictures and picking the best. For vacation pics, I guess I don't care so much if they are the best, but more which nerve they tweak for vacation memories.

2 examples:

This picture is not a "good" image, but it reminds me of one aspect of Alaska I have not seen in my part of the country. There are stairways to houses that have no streets. The stairways are the streets and have names and addresses associated with them.

4864171-L.jpg

The next image is of the Wal Mart shuttle that comes to the cruise ship dock in Ketchikan. I laughed my you-know-what off when I saw that. I came all the way to Alaska just to see a WAL MART SHUTTLE BUS! Again, not much of a picture, but it brings back my feeling of amazement that someone would even take this thing to Wal Mart rather than see Ketchikan.

4875254-L.jpg

So the question is, what makes a picture "good"?

I think that a "good" photo evokes some emotion or takes you some place you have been. Even the pros do not get this response out of every image from every person.

Hutch