New guy's HDR

blind.spiderblind.spider Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited April 27, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Hello people,
I've been lurking here a while, checking out the challenges, and all that great stuff.
I'm interested in getting some feedback for a couple of shots I did last month. I did a true HDR on them (3 photos 2 steps apart, merged in Photomatix).

Anyways, without further rambling.

4541271077_45fa825dc1_o.jpg

4541255901_83b558e349_o.jpg

4491743732_40ca0bab03_o.jpg

Thanks for peekin!

Spidey (Or Nick as I'm usually called)

(Oh PS to the mod, didn't know if this was the right spot, cuz it's landscapey, but HDR... Please move if I put it in the wrong spot)

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Hey Nick,

Welcome to the forum as a participant.

I like your choice of subject material. There's a bunch of us around here that love old stuff....especially if it has RUST involved. We call ourselves Rust Junkies. I could really take to #2 if it were more in focus. #3 would have more impact, I think, if the rusty items were more the focal point of the shot....in other words, move in closer on them. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 26, 2010
    Oh PS to the mod, didn't know if this was the right spot, cuz it's landscapey, but HDR... Please move if I put it in the wrong spot)

This is the right spot, Nick, and welcome wave.gif.

I like the composition of #1 a lot, but #2 just looks like a tangled bunch of blurry old junk and the eye has nothing to settle on. #3 has some great possibilities but I don't like the combination of OOF foreground and dead space at the top. I think you could crop from either the top or the bottom and get a stronger image.

As for the HDR, it's most apparent in #1. Whether that's considered a good thing or not is a matter of taste. Some people really dig it, the more over the top, the better. I'm less enthusiastic and hope that nobody notices when I use it. YMMV.
  • blind.spiderblind.spider Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2010
    Thanks to you both for the replies.
    I agree with the HDR effect being REALLY apparent in the first one too. I like that over the top style HDR. Makes me grin every time. lol
    The thing about #2 is the grass, god how I love that grass. I'll check and see if I have a clearer shot of it (I should) and process it. Won't be true HDR but I'll see if I can do something with the RAW to bring it right out.

And #3 I can try a re-crop. See if I can get in a bit tighter without losing some quality.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I REALLY appreciate all that is said. Because well, I've really only had family to judge what I've taken, and they all say it's good (gotta love family).

Thanks!

Nick
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Welcome :D

I like HDR photos :D Not good at it, but I sure like looking at them.

Looks like you found yourself a neat place to photograph. I like your first one...makes me want to see more of what is around there. Your last one I agree with....take some off the top and my eye will really be drawn towards the subjects within the building.

Looking forward to seeing more photos from you.
  • blind.spiderblind.spider Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2010
    Here's a rehash of #2.
    I found another shot I took that has the equipment more in focus (I also found out it's a horse drawn binder).
    4556916124_bcaa15bfc4_o.jpg

I also have a couple more from a recent-ish trip to NYC.

#1 The Mars Bar NYC (I spent alot of time there)
    4556859894_3a8e42ae02_b.jpg

#2 - We are Watching You

4556873844_d27069b0b5_b.jpg

Spider
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Well, Nick, these shots show a whole different side to your photography. I like them both very much. Good composition and, to my taste, excellent PP work. The second one is flat terrific. Good work.

I would suggest you take these two NYC shots and make a separate posting with them over on the " Streets and PJ " forum. They're fine here but there's a whole different outlook over there.....often a little more pointed....and I'd really like to see what that bunch thinks of these two shots. Again, I love them.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • One OldtimerOne Oldtimer Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    We are watching you
    This is my very favourite of your shots - and so aptly titled! Well done indeed!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited April 27, 2010
    I really like that last shot, but on my monitor it looks a bit over-sharpened. Great scene. clap.gif