Win 7 and XP Mode

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited April 27, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
My printer is old...works like a charm never a prob until now. I am running Win 7 and XP mode.Plugged in the Printer and ran a test print...all was good.....then another test print a few days latter...still good.

Today all I get is an error of not able to print. Everything still connected (by usb) and it shows in printers and faxes as ready.....but it will not print.

Was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing probs with XP mode of Win 7??

I have ran the troubleshooter 3 times now just to see if I missed something.
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Art - I have to ask .... why are you running in XP mode? Is there something in your workflow that will not run in Win7?

The reason I ask is because I've not heard of a serious problem with finding drivers for even older printers that will run/work in Win 7 native mode. Sometimes, you might have to use a Vista driver, but that should be fine.

What printer are we talking about here anyway?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Art - I have to ask .... why are you running in XP mode? Is there something in your workflow that will not run in Win7?

The reason I ask is because I've not heard of a serious problem with finding drivers for even older printers that will run/work in Win 7 native mode. Sometimes, you might have to use a Vista driver, but that should be fine.

What printer are we talking about here anyway?

HP Deskjet 932C ..... it is too old to run in native Win 7 as is all of my software aside from LR2 64 bit.................

My scanner is also too old to run on win 7....all will be fine a couple as soon as I find out what crapped out on my desktop computer.....all of it has a 5 yr min warranty.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 27, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    HP Deskjet 932C ..... it is too old to run in native Win 7 as is all of my software aside from LR2 64 bit.................

My scanner is also too old to run on win 7....all will be fine a couple as soon as I find out what crapped out on my desktop computer.....all of it has a 5 yr min warranty.
    For the 932C, have you gone to this page and selected your printer?

Note that the page will allow you to download a driver pack or, near the bottom of the page, you can download the driver specific to your O/S and printer. I was able to select Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit), DeskJet, and 932C to get a file called "DriverInstaller_DD.exe" that the site says is the 932C driver set.
    edited April 27, 2010
    DriverInstaller_DD.exe"

The "DD" stands for Driver Detective.....a piece of sh** software that runs $30.......I bought it over a year a go for my desk top and after receiving several virus warnings when it was running I got a refund and removed it off my desktop.

Thanks For the help...........

edited April 27, 2010
    I'm not yet convinced that you are SOL on this. I'll take another look at this when I get home where I have Win7 and get back to you.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    MS says this printer in compatible with Win7...maybe there is some HP software that isnt compatible?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=HP%20Deskjet%20932c%20Inkjet%20Printer&v=HP&uid=C6427BABA&pf=0&pi=0&s=HP%20932c&os=64-bit

As for the scanner, I prefer to use VueScan, which is far superior to any vendor software IMHO. Check to see if it supports your scanner:

http://www.hamrick.com/
    edited April 27, 2010
    Printer working but not scanner....
    All seems to be fixed.....no driver dectective........but had to run the trouble shooter over 10 times to get that little green check mark...........

Thanks Scott and CMason for the help.
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

It looks like the HP ScanJet 3400 is one that Vue Scan does not work with....it keeps saying no scanner attached to computer......computer has 1 usb port and that is where it is connected...I hear the little connect and disconnect chime when I plug it in or disconnect it....ne_nau.gif

edited April 27, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    All seems to be fixed.....no driver dectective........but had to run the trouble shooter over 10 times to get that little green check mark...........

Thanks Scott and CMason for the help.
    bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    That's alright and I'm glad that things have been resolved. But, I'm still going to look around - I'm sure that you can run that printer in Win7 native.
    edited April 27, 2010
    That's alright and I'm glad that things have been resolved. But, I'm still going to look around - I'm sure that you can run that printer in Win7 native.

I am running in win 7 64 native now.....it just took the trouble shooter several tries to "fix" the prob.....

Thanks again Scott.

Edit: Just found drivers for my Wacom Tablet (Graphite).......no not Graphire........ lol lol lol .....using Vista 32/64 bit driver....it works Woooooo Hoooooo!!