Bridalveil Falls From Tunnel View

Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
edited May 4, 2010 in Landscapes
From a few weeks ago. I was hoping for a more colorful sunset, but I'm pleased with this....

_MG_1945.jpg
5D, 70-200 f/4L

Comments

• philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Compositionaly there are a lot of very nice things the clouds extending the the peak. The lines of the cliff face move the eye down and up again through the image.
    I think there are two problems first there is no dominate subject. The falls themselves is two small to be the subject.
    Second and something that can be corrected is the low contrast. I played around with it a bit. I set the black point to the shadow on the right hand corner and the white point to the snow on the top of the ridge on the left hand side and then I just dragged the mid-point on the curve down just a bit (about 1/8th of the way down from the middle). That made the cloud really pop.

-Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Compositionaly there are a lot of very nice things the clouds extending the the peak. The lines of the cliff face move the eye down and up again through the image.
    I think there are two problems first there is no dominate subject. The falls themselves is two small to be the subject.
    Second and something that can be corrected is the low contrast. I played around with it a bit. I set the black point to the shadow on the right hand corner and the white point to the snow on the top of the ridge on the left hand side and then I just dragged the mid-point on the curve down just a bit (about 1/8th of the way down from the middle). That made the cloud really pop.

-Philip

Thanks Philip. If I would have thought more, I would have zoomed in a bit, but oh well. I already selectively added contrast (Curves) for just the clouds. I didn't want to add too much. rolleyes1.gif
  • philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Thanks Philip. If I would have thought more, I would have zoomed in a bit, but oh well. I already selectively added contrast (Curves) for just the clouds. I didn't want to add too much. rolleyes1.gif

How often do you get into the valley? Do you get there for the dogwoods?
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    How often do you get into the valley? Do you get there for the dogwoods?
    -Philip

Not enough! I live 80 miles from the park, but I only have one car and my wife works p/t and we have two kids. Tough to schedule a trip by myself, not that I don't mind taking the family.

I haven't photographed the Dogwoods. eek7.gif