Options

WCC #9 - Shootin' From The Hip

tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
edited May 28, 2010 in Weddings
Ever been shooting something at a wedding with one eye, when out of your other eye you see something more interesting? Ever been carrying your camera bag and see a touching moment that you want a frame of, but can't get your camera ready in time? Shoot from the hip!

Weddings are fast paced creatures. Show me your best shots where you either didn't have the time, availability, option, or just didn't care to look through the viewfinder. Maybe you're holding you camera over your head, maybe you're firing frames while walking - let's see them! Not looking through the viewfinder really frees up your shooting style, so this month is the perfect chance to take a chance and get some killer imagery!

Obviously no one is going to be able to verify if you were or were not actually looking through the viewfinder, so we're on the honor system here :) And besides, cheaters never win.

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Shot with my camera way above my head and tippy toeing to get it over a border...

838900599_ZFYDt-L.jpg
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    I tend to take alot of overhead shots just to get a different angle. (Even though I sometimes I miss my subject altogether.) I took this one this weekend at a funny moment where the couple and their parents had been trying to light a unity candle in a 30 mph wind...

24848_393528330853_81914680853_3975926_1759177_n.jpg
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2010
    Usually the shoot-from-the-hip mode comes in most useful during the dance-o-thon! I always enjoy playing around with these :-)

846896596_CyuQ7-L.jpg
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Lowering of the veil.

Shot from a chair with my camera over my head. Flash didn't fire so this is ambient from a spot light above her. One of my favorites from the day.
    722579140_Yueiu-L-1.jpg

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Overwhelmed
    What the heck, I do the reach up and shoot thing, so here goes...

853994365_Jcq5a-L.jpg
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Shot from under the boat table....had to take a few but got one...Laughing.gif

369984636_DKs69-XL.jpg

Shot literally from the side of my head....was surprised I got anyone..:D
    313900037_3jg8w-XL.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    cj99sicj99si Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    held down to the ground and hoped for the best.

631878005_qPdcb-L-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2010
    Guess I moved the photo or changed the galleries or something. Anyway, here is what I posted before -- maybe better titled "eye of the storm"

862087747_WURYn-L.jpg
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2010
    We're getting down to the wire here so take a picture without looking tomorrow! Next entry has a 1 in 9 chance of winning!
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2010
    So not many entries this month (bad contest idea anyone?) but I hope that everyone had a chance to play around with taking a few shots without looking through the viewfinder. It takes guts to do this, it's not the safe choice, but the results may surprise you. Obviously everyone used a wide angle lens for this to capture more of the scene. My best advice to you as you play with this is the future is to know your lens. Know what it will take a photo of before you look through the viewfinder - then it isn't as important to look through the viewfinder, looking through the viewfinder will just slow you down. Another idea - this is not limited to "action" photos. What about posing the couple and shooting from different angle, or with the camera moving? Let's get creative together!

The winners!
    1. CJ99si
    2. Surfdog
    3. Matt

- Ted I love the colors in your shot, but ultimately it is too centered for me (and the guy's belly behind the groom is distracting too). I think this will be a fun tool for you to explore with your PJ style.

- Danny I love that you took the risk to get this shot. Instead of trying to get a tight shot by shooting between people, you got everyone and the entire reaction. Also your WB looks a little off (did a flash fire?) in the shade. Well played!

- Lee I like the moment, not the tilt or the funky coloring. Perfect moment on the fathers(?) face! Get the coloring (gel flash) under control and you'll have a lot of fun with this.

- Matt I really like this. It looks like a paparazzi taking photos of the couple and it's a great moment! My concern is that it's too dark of processing. You crushed the blacks pretty heavily and it almost has the feel of funeral.

- Dave The first one doesn't help that the groom is camera-aware and she isn't. Also, the table is distracting. I like the second one, but it is almost incomplete. It's the kind of shot where I want to see the bride on the far left about to toss the bouquet - that would be perfect.

- Corey I really dig this. You made good use of the entire frame. Perhaps a bit too contrasty for my tastes. Watch the tripod/lightstand that is framed between the two women.

- Steve Good frame! The man in blacks finger giving the little boy a mustache kills it for me. It sucks he had to put his hand right there... Also it would do you well to gel your flash to match ambient.

Thanks everyone for playing, I know this is not the easiest contest!
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    *snip* Obviously everyone used a wide angle lens for this to capture more of the scene. *snip*

Thanks 10!

For the record mine was shot at 68mm (24-70 f2.8L) and was uncropped :D. Thanks for the comments. Congrats CJ and Surfdog!

Matt

***edit*** I thought the idea was a good one btw. Fresh ideas are going to get tougher as the months go on.
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2010
    I wanted to enter, I just didn't have time to go back through the bazillions of photos and think... was this one from the hip or not. Great idea for a theme!
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2010
    So not many entries this month (bad contest idea anyone?) but I hope that everyone had a chance to play around with taking a few shots without looking through the viewfinder. It takes guts to do this, it's not the safe choice, but the results may surprise you. Obviously everyone used a wide angle lens for this to capture more of the scene. My best advice to you as you play with this is the future is to know your lens. Know what it will take a photo of before you look through the viewfinder - then it isn't as important to look through the viewfinder, looking through the viewfinder will just slow you down. Another idea - this is not limited to "action" photos. What about posing the couple and shooting from different angle, or with the camera moving? Let's get creative together!

The winners!
    1. CJ99si
    2. Surfdog
    3. Matt

- Ted I love the colors in your shot, but ultimately it is too centered for me (and the guy's belly behind the groom is distracting too). I think this will be a fun tool for you to explore with your PJ style.

- Danny I love that you took the risk to get this shot. Instead of trying to get a tight shot by shooting between people, you got everyone and the entire reaction. Also your WB looks a little off (did a flash fire?) in the shade. Well played!

- Lee I like the moment, not the tilt or the funky coloring. Perfect moment on the fathers(?) face! Get the coloring (gel flash) under control and you'll have a lot of fun with this.

- Matt I really like this. It looks like a paparazzi taking photos of the couple and it's a great moment! My concern is that it's too dark of processing. You crushed the blacks pretty heavily and it almost has the feel of funeral.

- Dave The first one doesn't help that the groom is camera-aware and she isn't. Also, the table is distracting. I like the second one, but it is almost incomplete. It's the kind of shot where I want to see the bride on the far left about to toss the bouquet - that would be perfect.

- Corey I really dig this. You made good use of the entire frame. Perhaps a bit too contrasty for my tastes. Watch the tripod/lightstand that is framed between the two women.

- Steve Good frame! The man in blacks finger giving the little boy a mustache kills it for me. It sucks he had to put his hand right there... Also it would do you well to gel your flash to match ambient.

Thanks everyone for playing, I know this is not the easiest contest!
    Thanks for the feedback -- good points all.
    My humble gallery...

www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2010
    Thanks Ten! Yeah the light stand bothers me as well, your right it is super contrasty i was trying to work with the edgy scene.

As far as the theme goes, I think it was a good theme, but its kind of tough to pick a photo for. Just like themes are hard to chooseheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2010
    LeeHowell wrote: »
    Usually the shoot-from-the-hip mode comes in most useful during the dance-o-thon! I always enjoy playing around with these :-)

846896596_CyuQ7-S.jpg

This image would be a great candidate for a conversion, the white balance is very distracting.
  • Options
    LeeHowellLeeHowell Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2010
    Congrats to the winners! I thought the theme was fun! :-)

Thanks for the tips/comments/suggestions....

846896596pilandearley53.jpg
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2010
    Well to be fair, Pat, I wasn't looking where I was shooting. rolleyes1.gif

Congrats to the winners. I think cj99si is on a roll here!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com