Shoot for MMA Fighter

GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited April 27, 2010 in People
So I'm helping manage a friend of mine who is trying to make it in the world of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts for those of you who don't follow combat sports.). So we set up a photo shoot the other evening in the gym where we both train. Wanted to get some product shots (for a sponsor) as well as some, well, evil-looking shots since, well, he is a fighter. Here's what we came up with...

#1 - Product Shot
848197830_rPJTi-L.jpg

#2 - Product Shot
848265630_4uxbY-L.jpg

#3 - Product Shot (didn't like this one quite as much as the shirt wouldn't fall right and the foil print was had to photograph properly)
848271447_wgWFb-L.jpg

#4 - Product Shot
848293612_F2Sn6-L.jpg

#5 - Photo Shot
848298082_JkEFL-L.jpg

#6 - Evil Shot
847061754_A9YT7-L.jpg

#7 - Evil Shot (my fave)
847060115_zydsA-L.jpg

Comments

• goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    cool i like number 6
    Courtney
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    #6 is the best oneclap.gif

the product shots need work. I think if he's going to wear the stuff, you need to capture a more natural or relaxed pose.
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Cool pics. Scary dude.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Jwar wrote:
    #6 is the best oneclap.gif

the product shots need work. I think if he's going to wear the stuff, you need to capture a more natural or relaxed pose.

Thanks.

Normally I'd say yes, however, this is sort of the style they look for in MMA. They don't want the standard product shots in this world. Honestly, in this world, it's more about the person wearing the shirt than the actual shirt many times. Strange I know...
    edited April 27, 2010
    Surfdog wrote:
    Cool pics. Scary dude.
    The best part is he's a very good friend of mine and, once you talk to him, you realize he's a cream puff. One of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He just has a great game face for when he's fighting.

His next fight is June 11 at the Tropicana in Atlantic City.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    I like them over all. 1,4,5 don't quite work for me becasue of the big glare off the floor. My eye keep s getting drawn to that instead of guy or shirt.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • humanrrhumanrr Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    As far as your product shots go, #1 is my favorite, it has the cleanest background although the glare on the mats is a bit strong. I might even crop out that pipe leading up to that round thing at the very top as it distracted my eye a bit. #4 is also clean and to the point and seems better lit than #5, but again with the glare....

To be honest, though, I much prefer the headshots, especially # 7, which has a hint of Rampage Jackson in it.

Did you shoot any frames of him training? I'd be interested to see a few of him working the heavy bag, skipping rope, rolling with a trainer, etc...
    edited April 27, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    I like them over all. 1,4,5 don't quite work for me becasue of the big glare off the floor. My eye keep s getting drawn to that instead of guy or shirt.
    Good point on that. I like the look but...
    edited April 27, 2010
    humanrr wrote:
    As far as your product shots go, #1 is my favorite, it has the cleanest background although the glare on the mats is a bit strong. I might even crop out that pipe leading up to that round thing at the very top as it distracted my eye a bit. #4 is also clean and to the point and seems better lit than #5, but again with the glare....

To be honest, though, I much prefer the headshots, especially # 7, which has a hint of Rampage Jackson in it.

Did you shoot any frames of him training? I'd be interested to see a few of him working the heavy bag, skipping rope, rolling with a trainer, etc...
    I did get some of him hitting/kicking the bag. Finishing off those, will post them when I get done.

The background was, challenging, to say the least. I've cleaned some of the backgrounds up a bit but my pp skills only go so far (not very).