Impromptu prom photos

MelmoKMelmoK Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited May 4, 2010 in People
I was visiting with my in-laws when my BIL came in, girl in tow, said they weren't getting photos taken at prom, would I snap a few, and oh yeah they needed to be on the road ten minutes ago. No good backgrounds, had my 40D and 50 1.8
So, in 5 minutes I got some shots and they went on their way.

They could be worse IMO but feel free to C&C I can take it.

1. cprom2rnd.jpg

2. cprom1rnd.jpg

3. Rndtree-1.jpg

4. Moody.jpg

5. BWLR.jpg

Comments

• MelmoKMelmoK Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    With over 30 views no one has anything to say about these? Good, bad, or indifferent?
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    MelmoK wrote:
    With over 30 views no one has anything to say about these? Good, bad, or indifferent?

melmok..30 views is nothing! people can go over 200 views with out single comment:D

the images appear soft but that maybe because you are attaching them vs hotlinking them. attaching thm compresses the image I think which results in degraded image quality.

The one thing that jumps out at me is posing and expressions. The guy looks 100% uninterested and poses are rather awkward and forced looking.

edit: nm..it appears the images are hot linked not attached.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    The linked exif doesn't have your camera settings, but it looks to me like you must have been stopped down a fair bit since the background is pretty sharp. Sometimes you're stuck with an ugly background, but I probably would have pulled them forward away from it as much as possible and then shot as wide open as I dared to minimize the distractions by blurring them out behind them. If you keep their heads roughly in the same plane (front to back) you can do that and still keep sharp eyes, even though it can be tricky.
  • MelmoKMelmoK Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Thank you both.
    They do look sharper on my screen versus how they appear here.
    Sadly, that look is pretty much my brother in laws default face, I fear for his future wedding photographer.

They were all done at 50mm 4.0 ISO 640 1/1000 I agree, the background would do best being blurred, the space of their yard however is rather small and the street is busy so standing there was not possible.

I will take all this into consideration in the future though. Thank you both for taking the time.
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    Okay, I won't say anything about backgrounds since you explained.

The posing seems stiff and he doesn't seem happy at all. I was surprised when I read that he wanted photos taken. He looks like he was forced. :D

I like the processing on them...I am going through my "vintage look" stage right now so those types of photos appeal to me.

I think you did the best you could with the notice you had. Maybe posing could have been a little more thought out but I am sure you felt rushed to begin with.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook