portrait cc

mikie2084mikie2084 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited April 27, 2010 in People
What is wrong,what is right, what could be better?

DSC_0726.jpg

Comments

• mikie2084mikie2084 Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    Ok heres another photo, i never clamied to be a portrait pro, but help me instead of other forums saying i dont like it. Ive used my sb-600 twice to try and fill shadows, im still learning! If we dont help each other then we have nothing in common to me.

CSC_0730.jpg
  • B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2010
    They look very flat to me. And the skin tone seems quiet red. Focus seems a bit soft as well? The second one you need to watch that arm because it makes her look like she is missing a hand. Looks like you could use a bit more fill light on the face as well. She seems to have a slight case of raccoon eyes. They are not horrible by any means. Just need some tweaks. Looks like you are getting on the right track though! Also try coming in closer. I seem to always have a much stronger image if I just take 2 steps forward.
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    They both look a little soft to me. It looks like your point of focus is on the hay in the 1st shot and the tree in the 2nd, rather than the subject's face. I would raise your subject up in #1 to about bustline level or a little higher. She seems too hidden behind the haystack. I would also echo B Rock - more fill flash would brighten the face some, and reduce the shadows under the eyes on both images. On #2, I would suggest bringing your subject forward and maybe turning her back more toward the tree. You could then bring the right hand & arm forward across her middle, for a more flattering look to her figure.

She is a lovely young lady, and your location is great! It looks alot like my area of Texas this time of year.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Surfdog wrote:
    They both look a little soft to me. It looks like your point of focus is on the hay in the 1st shot and the tree in the 2nd, rather than the subject's face. I would raise your subject up in #1 to about bustline level or a little higher. She seems too hidden behind the haystack. I would also echo B Rock - more fill flash would brighten the face some, and reduce the shadows under the eyes on both images. On #2, I would suggest bringing your subject forward and maybe turning her back more toward the tree. You could then bring the right hand & arm forward across her middle, for a more flattering look to her figure.

She is a lovely young lady, and your location is great! It looks alot like my area of Texas this time of year.

I pretty much echo the techincal points of the above 2 posters. soft, flat light, not enough emphasis on the model wrt to her surroundings.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited April 27, 2010
    Ok thank you guys for great critique! another forum i got I dont like your pic! I think ive found my home! here is one with a tripod, my d40 only has 3 focus points and i tried to get her eyes everytime! The hay was us walking out and spur of the moment in 25mph wind. I have a lot to learn about my speedlight and anything you guys can tell me i greatly appreciate!
    DSC_0639-2.jpg
    edited April 27, 2010
    When you have two subjects at different distances what would you guys do? Smaller aperature? im not sure how to get both sharp. Also i have photosop elements 8 which i have yet to master, whta would you guys do to brighten her eyes?
  • JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    mikie2084 wrote:
    When you have two subjects at different distances what would you guys do? Smaller aperature? im not sure how to get both sharp. Also i have photosop elements 8 which i have yet to master, whta would you guys do to brighten her eyes?

Stop down to around f/8-f/11.
    edited April 27, 2010
    For most i tried to stay at f8- f11, some i went for large depth of field and some all the way down to f2.8. I climbed the tree and made my wife ruin her shirt while i shot down towards the ground at her. oops! shes a trooper though.