Turning Three - CC welcomed

jerzeejerzee Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited April 27, 2010 in People
My friend's little girl turns 3 this weekend and she wanted a few photos. I took these at our local park spending most of the time pushing her on the swings while making deals like "Okay a couple more swings and then I get to take 2 pictures okay?"

840466409_vsP6r-L.jpg

#2 Tried out an action from Rita at Coffee Shop Photography
840452389_iXwKx-L.jpg

840458420_hEfsU-L.jpg

#4 She took a step back at the last minute. I would have loved to have a bit more space behind her but my friends love it so I guess that's what counts. It's a bit soft for me.
840470474_yfFEx-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. I appreciate any advice, comments etc.

Comments

• lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Jerzee,
    Welcome to dgrin:)

Ok first let me just say that I'm not a portrait photographer though I do lurk here often and post in "people" once in a while, matter of fact I have posted one shot of my 3 year earlier today, so funny coincidence --I'm still an amateur and live mostly in "street/pj" so take my advice or C&C with a grain of salt ok?

1. I really like #1 very much, but there looks to be a tree growing out of her head, maybe crop a little tighter. (on my post i cropped too tight, so again I'm still learning myself ok?)

2. I like the actions you used in this shot, I like the feel of it, but I think the shot itself needs help --the arm is cut off at a funny angle and IMO the shot suffers from being too centered and slightly tilted.

3. I like the little pop in her eyes in this shot. She has a lovely look here. I would work on not cutting off limbs at the wrist/ feet etc. Maybe a smidge of a tighter crop would help.

4. Is my personal favorite of the bunch--I like the composition very much and I like that she's off to one side of the frame and not centered.

Keep posting and again welcome. I hope others more experienced or the pros will chime in to give more sage advice.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • thomasjmthomasjm Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    What are your goals with these photos? You mentioned these are a friend's daughter? Are these more than just memories, if not they are simply beautiful! If these are partly practice to get into more portrait photography there might be a few compositional things you can do differently next time.