Swinging shots and AI Servio

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited May 6, 2010 in People
Hello all!
Just practicing with AI Servio so that I could capture my 3 y/o in full swing. I remember reading a while back that this was the best mode to capture kids in full motion while swinging. I must say, it was really a LOT easier in this mode than in single point focus mode! You were right. I took a few shots in single point focus mode and saw that I was badly missing the focus (really hit or miss) so I switched over to AI Servio. I was pleasantly suprised to actually get her in focus MOST of the time. Bascially I just half pressed about a split second before I shot and tracked her motion and then clicked. I was so surprised to see it actually work! These were shot wide open at 1.8 on my 50mm. CC always appreciated from you all :thumb

Kate2-1.jpg

Kate3-1.jpg

#3 In this shot she was oof. I had a nice focus on the buttons of her shirt and her hair. I love it still :)
Kate1-1.jpg

#4 Warmed up BW conversion
FavBW-1.jpg

#5 *took a few steps back to get the whole scene
Swinging-1.jpg

#6 For fun
Moi.jpg

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Very cute....next time..take some full body w/environment and tell her to laugh and scream..you'll get huge expressions and some really cool looking full framers. She's a princess! AI Servo.....so glad somebody listens to me....rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Swartzy wrote:
    Very cute....next time..take some full body w/environment and tell her to laugh and scream..you'll get huge expressions and some really cool looking full framers. She's a princess! AI Servo.....so glad somebody listens to me....rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Thanks Swartzy! We all listen to you :D! AI servio certainly worked like a charm! I was shocked at how easily it froze the action. I agree I should have gone back further. I really hope to some day get some nice L glass (24-70 2.8 high on list) so I can vary my shots more quickly---I'm too slow on my feet with the fixed lens and end up taking too many of the same scene. She will be happy to scream for me, lol!!!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Super sweet, and wow, you really nailed getting her eyes at the focus point! f/1.8!!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    rolleyes1.gif at the last eye diagram! and wow you really nailed focus on those eyes! and beautiful girl and beautiful images as well!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    I agree with the peanut gallery! iloveyou.gif These are wonderful!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Beauuuutiful! What a sweet little girl iloveyou.gif + love your processing on them too thumb.gif
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Thank you SO much everyone for your nice comments :) Really made my day!!! :D I definately have the dgrin discussion thread on AI Servio (and Swartzy,among others) who suggested the use of this focus method to thank. I have to say..it seems like a very powerful focusing tool. I learned quite a bit in our mini-shoot. For one, it really does a killer job in tracking something moving steadily (swinging is the ideal use of this mode). It was interesting to see how it would search and search for the focus until it nailed what I wanted, and then I had to be quick to snap the shutter. The focus never really "locked" but just went in and out. When I was quick to press the shutter the focus was as tack sharp as you could get---especially the eyes. This method of focus seems so easy for movement. I wish I would have tried it sooner. The single point is good also, but often seems to miss more often than not. For these photos I think I used the central focus point with the * and then I just aimed that point at her face (between her eyes) and tracked her along her swing until it focused. It was so easy! Thanks so much dgrin for the info on this!!!!!!! Oh yeah, the eye diagram--glad you liked it Qarik :).....A Jeff inspiration! Angie...any new baby photos for us??!!
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Wow you nailed the focus on those short. Beautiful little girl, gorgoeous eyes and great expressions. Love each and evey one of them.

Excellentclap.gif
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    super sharp and gorgeous! i'm going to have to track down this discussion thread to learn more. i use single point focus, but if there's a better way, i'd love to learn more, especially when you're chasing eyes of children!
    Kristen
  • JonDraperPhotoJonDraperPhoto Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Really like how sharp and saturated these are without being over done. The eyes look great as well. Good set from a moving swing!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    These are VERY nicely done. You're one of these "magic focus" people - you really nail the eyes no matter how wide open you're shooting!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    Nice! iloveyou.gif I really love #3 as well; you can always blur the buttons a bit if you wanted?