Faces go to pot: women

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited August 16, 2005 in People
I am terribly sorry for hurting anyone's eyes. I am going to assume for the future that this site, the whole site is only for excellent photos ready for sale. I mentioned my DOF problems, etc.

I posted in case anyone wanted to see and I gave my friends this addy.

I am terribly sorry. These were family photos, guess I should have kept them with the family. Though I don't think anyone will see anymore what so ever.

once I used the flash things got worse.

and I don't always care for your photos, personally, but I don't walk in and say so.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    As you all might know, I went to Charlotte, NC this past weekend for a celebration of my oldest grandson's graduation from high school and his departure for college next weekend.

First, though, it was the women, Sat morning they didn't have enough to do, I guess, or maybe it is a Southern thing, whatever, we did get together to do pottery. During the instructions, my eyes glazed over, and I decided to record rather than pot. I used available light, of which there was lots, but I still had focus problems. I did the best with the 70-200L lens, so there were many close ups.

Below is a wide shot of my granddaughter from Chicago, Courtney.

My daughter, Sara, below:

Her daughter, my granddaughter, Mary Catherine, both from Washington DC area. They are soon to be from Columbia, SC. Yeah!

Below is Sara's sister, my oldest daughter, with whom I stay as she lives in Charlotte. This is Julie (the focus might be a bit off, but it is a super picture of her, IMO):

This is Traci, my youngest son's wife, my daughter in law, and mother of my youngest grandchild, plus another.

Below is Pat, a Pierce woman, wife of my ex husband:

These women were obviously potted, so I went outside for a bit:
    I think it was the blue eyes that got to me......

I came back in, Courtney was taking care of business, and Mary Catherine, with paint on her face was finishing up. It was a good morning.

Comments welcome. These are close up for several reasons, then it became a theme. With the first photo of Courtney, you can see the general scene.

I don't often do portraits, I did very little post work, very little.........

ginger

(I don't do pot!)
    Hi Ginger,

I think number 3 and number 6 are nice. Number 2 is nice but out of focus too far for my sensibilites.. if ya know what I mean.:D same with number 4.. too blurry.. nice smile tho. The one of traci would have been wonderful had she just looked up imho. The two last shots did'nt work for me at all. And nor did the horserolleyes1.gif Just my 2 cents.1drink.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    lynne's spot on 15524779-Ti.gif

gotta watch the dof and focus, ginger.. the first couple are really nice thumb.gif but for example, the last one is so oof it makes my eyes hurt trying to focus on it....

looks like you had a great time!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am terribly sorry for hurting anyone's eyes. I am going to assume for the future that this site, the whole site is only for excellent photos ready for sale. I mentioned my DOF problems, etc.

I am terribly sorry. These were family photos, guess I should have kept them with the family. Though I don't think anyone will see anymore what so ever.

and I don't always care for your photos, personally, but I don't walk in and say so.

ginger

Two words.

"Comments welcome."

From the end of your post.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Son_of GingerSon_of Ginger Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 15, 2005
    Pictures were great
    Ginger,

I thought the photos were great and capture a group of women trying to do a bonding thing. Of course my eyes are so great as to be blinded by me insensitivity etc... Thanks for the photos

ginger_55 wrote:

ginger
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger
    That's not really fair Ginger. Anytime you post your pics here or anywhere else there's a possibility somebody might reply differently from saying "good shot". Lynn's response was constructive and deserved a better response.

To make it easy on us you have to let us know what you want. If all you want is support and positive responses I'm more than willing to say "good pic" and give you a thumb.gif or a clap.gif everytime you post a shot.

If you want folks to be free to critique your shots you have to let us know. If you want critique you have to be willing to accept it.

So how's about making it easy on us and let us know what you want.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited August 15, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger
    Ginger I'm so sorry if I offended you.. but .. you asked for comments..ne_nau.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    That is something everyone here can fall back on: I asked for comments.

Kind of like, "what do you think of my new house, dress, haircut, whatever?"

Comments are different from a whip, IMO, they are left up to the discretion of the viewer.

One of the things that hurts me the most is for people to think that I can't tell when part of a photo is OOF, except the last one, when seen small, it does not look as oof as when enlarged. But it is like everyone thinks I cannot see my own flaws, when I posted that I was having problems.

I even changed lenses as my wide angle appeared to be giving me problems.

To be honest, these weekends are very difficult for me. They are my family I used to have. Now all I have is the photography, and I screwed it up.

I am putting my photos on smugmug for the time being as the people want to see those screwed up photos, I just thought you all might like to see them to, meet my family, even though technically I was having problems.

I do not sell my photos, and this is why. When I get nervous I have problems.

But after I say I had problems, but I thought I would share these with you all, I did not mean for you all to reiterate how bad I was for having problems. When I asked for comments, I was not asking for the obvious............or your personal taste. I do mention personal taste, but only after months of the same thing when I think it is hurting the poster.

Harry is correct, I need to say what I expect in the way of comments. I think we need a forum on it: a thread, I mean. One where people are not afraid to speak up. Other people have spoken to this before. They have said that not everyone expects to be "whipped" in the regular forums.

I am perfectly capable of asking for help when I think I need it. I asked for help on the nature thread re the flash, ironically on Dixie's thread. He nicely answered me.

I would like to thank my son, Scott, for saying he liked my photographs. I did not even know he was a member. He is a very busy person, his daughter was there this weekend, he was not. I have only seen him once in many years.

To be honest, I am sick over this whole thing.

And, Andy, I do watch for OOF when all the time. My father used to use the cliche that until you have walked in someone's moccasins, you should not criticise that person. I was having a very difficult time in general that weekend. I was not sleeping when others were in order to chimp and try to figure out the flash situation, among many issues that come up while in Charlotte.

I mentioned that they were not perfect photos, the best I could get at the time with what I had: my equipment and my ability to think. My ex husband's wife hates me, really hates me, and that was the first I had seen of her since Thanksgiving.

Lynn, I am sorry you don't like the horse photo. Why not? I do. I have others.... I have many horse photos. I have noticed that many photographers taking photographs of a horse seem fascinated with the eye of the horse, even Lynnsite. I have never told them that I do not share their enthusiasm, though I don't. It seemed to be a matter of taste, not ability. Then I got caught up in an eyes. I did many unusual things with the horses I do not feel comfortable sharing here............ever, anymore.

And I am annoyed at the implication that comments either mean a critique or a very phony acknowledgement. I think we all know how to praise an ugly baby. Something good, bad not mentioned, except in the most oblique way. That is not phony...........it is being "human".

I will repeat, I can see OOF, I am sorry it offended or hurt anyone. I have seen others post OOF photos.................these were my family.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    I was very excited about sharing my family with you all. I mentioned that over the weekend.

I am very proud of them. I was looking forward to posting their photos. Then it alll seemed to go downhill, but I posted anyway, I posted the pottery ones as their problems were not compounded by the problems with the flash.

I was proud, not of my photography, of my family.

ginger

maybe this is only for pride in photography, I guess I forgot that, though I did try to post the best I had. technically I do have some better ones. But I wanted everyone's faces. I had a theme. I am truly sorry for what I inflicted on you all, but most of all sorry I have lost something that was making a big difference in my life.
    edited August 16, 2005
    Ginger again I'm sorry I've hurt your feelings, that was not my intention. I misunderstood. I thought you were asking for technical comments, thats usually what I'm asking for when I post mine and I just assumed and I should not have. I too enjoyed meeting your family, they look like a wonderful family, I spent some time looking for the similarities in them all. The horse shot right in the middle took me by surprise and I laughed. I guess words that come in text form can be read in different ways but I feel you may have read harshness into my words where none was meant. Anyway you are obviously feeling upset and I'm sorry about that.
    Lynn
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited August 16, 2005
    Ginger,

I believe that Lynn is sincere in her apology to you. There has been a misunderstanding. When Lynn and Andy critiqued your photographs, it was meant in the spirit of improvement in this photographic community. I certainly didn't perceive a personal attack or intentional disrespect.

I am sorry to have missed your photos. I would love to see you post them again.

Please understand that you have many friends here at DGRIN, and that I believe Lynn, Andy and I are among them.

Please give us all another chance, but qualify those images you already know have problems, so that we know you know, ... y'know? (Hoping for "your" smiles here.)

Best,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    Nice one Ginger.
    Your posts are one of the reasons I keep hanging about. What a laugh....

You've been given a huge amount of advice and help, over a considerable amount of time and over some 5000 posts. It's a shame you ignore advice and assume your pic's are great and cannot be improved. You refuse to use a tripod or monopod and insist that every shot you take was the best you could do under the circumstances whatever they may have been.

You get Lynnma liking two shots and making some fair points about others which is agreed to by Andy...So whats the problem? You have a bad weekend and blame 'everyone' for your poor shots.
    I read your post about trying to download 4gig of shots at once and thought "thats a lot of pic's" How many shots? 300? Maybe too many for a family get together....

Maybe it's time to think about what you are trying to do and slow down to a speed you can keep up with. There are hundreds of posts on flash/portrait photography. What about reading and practicing some portrait photography untill you understand what you are doing.

I remember your post about arriving late at church, looking scruffy and taking photos of a ladies children after being asked not too. Nobody said anything about your smug posting of the children and their mother....Well hey Ginger....You were wrong to turn up late, wrong to photograph children when asked not to and wrong to post the shots and story so smugly...I would not have liked someone looking like a bag-lady shooting my kids without explanation....

You should have arrived on time,been better organised and been able to explain what you were there for.

Just one example of how you are let off 'heavy' replies to your posts. This drags DGrin down to near childlike status with stupid comments that just don't tell the truth about a pic.

Your on the internet. Your family snapshots may not appeal to everyone but you need to keep the replies you get in perspective. One half and half good/bad reply backed up by Andy should be viewed as a way to improve your next shoot.

So stop jumping up and down behaving like a spoilt child....I'm getting sick of it.....

Sort out your bird shots and learn what your doing. Plan what you want to do in advance. Sleep before a full days photography...Listen to others rather than assume your always right................

Bod...

ginger_55 wrote:
    I was very excited about sharing my family with you all. I mentioned that over the weekend.

I am very proud of them. I was looking forward to posting their photos. Then it alll seemed to go downhill, but I posted anyway, I posted the pottery ones as their problems were not compounded by the problems with the flash.

I was proud, not of my photography, of my family.

ginger

maybe this is only for pride in photography, I guess I forgot that, though I did try to post the best I had. technically I do have some better ones. But I wanted everyone's faces. I had a theme. I am truly sorry for what I inflicted on you all, but most of all sorry I have lost something that was making a big difference in my life.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
    edited August 16, 2005
    I believe this thread has reached it's max and all that needs to be said has been said. I'm closing the thread so we can all move onthumb.gif
This discussion has been closed.