Isle of Iona

Dimitri_VDimitri_V Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited May 1, 2010 in Landscapes
When you visit a place and the light is as some say...boring or not interesting, it is good practice to switch to...creative mode. In your head that is, not in camera.
I mean, creating an image instead of capturing one. You need to think constructively and try to find elements in an image that you can enhance.
Here for example, I wanted to do something with this rock outcrop as I new that the playing of the waves around the rocks in combination with a slow shutter speed and a good grad filter to darken the sky right down, would be the ideal recipe to create an image of a place, where others would probably have walked away.
I have also created a small tutorial in my blog on how to go about when the light is...uninteresting, as others will say.

http://dvattika.com/blog/archives/338

4558429168_f319a258d9_o.jpg

Comments

• WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    That is a truly magnificent shot, Dimitri. And so are the rest in your blog entry. I enjoyed reading it, and I really enjoyed looking at the photos you used to illustrate it. I hope I can remember some of the tips you gave. Or, by using tip #1, I won't have to remember, because I will print them out and keep them in my camera bag!
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • JoashotsJoashots Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    Beautiful capture- and you live in a such a scenic country :wow
    Thanks for sharing those practical and helpful tips on your blog- please keep doing it!
    Joash R

If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. - Samuel Butler
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    well, you certainly succeeded in "creating an image" here... the combination of slow shutter with the grad filter and the rich colors makes for a very pleasing, evocative photograph. well done!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Dimitri_VDimitri_V Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    Cheers for the kind words guys. thumb.gif