New to Macro and have questions

ckasparckaspar Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited April 28, 2010 in Holy Macro
Had a question about shooting macro shots. I have never really tried to take macro shots but I was reading about macro tubes. How do those work and where should I look to get some? What can I expect to pay. I currently have a Canon XSi with a kit lens and I have a 50mm f1.8 on the way.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2010
    ckaspar wrote:
    Had a question about shooting macro shots. I have never really tried to take macro shots but I was reading about macro tubes. How do those work and where should I look to get some? What can I expect to pay. I currently have a Canon XSi with a kit lens and I have a 50mm f1.8 on the way.

they are called extension tubes. they come in several "sizes" and can be stacked on top of each other for greater magnification. They are essentially hollow tubes that reduce your miminum focusing distance on your lens. They have no optical properties by themlelves. kenko makes some popular ones. You might expect to pay $150 or so for set of good quality tubes.

They work best with a dedicated macro lens.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    THey allow you to focus much closer than normal, the longer the extension , the closer the focus.You do lose infinity focus though. They work well with a 50mm lens giving upto just under 1.4:1 magnification which is actually a bit higher than a normal macro lens (1:1). If you do decide to get a dedicated macro lens they also work well with that taking you upto 2:1 magnifcation with a macro lens around 100mm focal length.

Brian v.
  • latentlatent Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Tubes are a relatively cheap way of getting into macro photography. You do not have to go with camera manufacturers tubes, as these can be expensive. Independent manufacturers, like Kenko do tube sets for Canon fit. They are quite well made. You don't have to worry about compromise on qaulity as there are no optics thumb.gif
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Another advantage of the Kenko tubes, apart from price, is that they come in a set of three lengths (12, 20, and 36mm) that can be stacked in any combination, giving you a great deal of flexibility.
  • ckasparckaspar Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Thanks for the info.

So...Theoretically speaking, I could take a piece of dark PVC and put a lens mount of both sides and put that between my body and my lens and achieve roughly the same effect? Not that I want to try that just trying to get an idea that $ spent will not be an issue on photo quality.
  • CapularisCapularis Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    ckaspar wrote:
    Thanks for the info.

So...Theoretically speaking, I could take a piece of dark PVC and put a lens mount of both sides and put that between my body and my lens and achieve roughly the same effect? Not that I want to try that just trying to get an idea that $ spent will not be an issue on photo quality.

You could do that, but you will lose all your automatic functions.
    Capularis

Splendor awaits in minute proportions.
    E.O. Wilson
    edited April 28, 2010
    Capularis wrote:
    You could do that, but you will lose all your automatic functions.

Ya, I was not planning on doing that, I was just trying to get a picture of the simplicity of the tubes themselves.

When looking for extension tubes I should focus on ones that are specific for my body I assume.

Thanks for the info guys.
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    they are specific to the brand, not the body.
    edited April 28, 2010
    paddler4 wrote:
    they are specific to the brand, not the body.

Sorry, I meant brand. Thanks again.

How important would it be to have the automatic features? Should I sport the extra dough for the electronics in the tubes?
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 28, 2010
    yes it is important
    if you didnt have electrical connections you would have to manually set apperture before shooting, at higher mag you need iris wide open to give a bright viewfinder
    go for the full auto tubes
    phil
    edited April 28, 2010
    Sounds good! Thanks!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited April 28, 2010
    You will also be loosing at least one f/stop or more with and ext tube.