My brother...

JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
edited May 11, 2010 in People
Let me know what you think. C&C requested and appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

849018181_f5BrU-L.jpg

849834032_5Udn3-L.jpg

Comments

• JakeEbersoleJakeEbersole Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Here's another shot.

850304129_gTzME-L.jpg
    edited April 29, 2010
    Anything?
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Looks like you were in really close with your 18-55. Try your bigger zoom and back away from your subject. That will keep you from getting the unflattering distortion caused by your wide angle. Your images are also pretty flat. Try to either direct or reflect some side light onto the subject. That will give some depth and contour to the face.

Keep at it, Jake!
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Jake, what was your intent here. These are capturing a moment in time which is OK but you need some light direction and better use of equipment for a portrait. As Surfdog said watch out for the wide angle lens. A good starting point for a portrait lens would be in the 80 to 100 for a full frame sensor. (longer would be better) That will give you less disortion up close.
    Painters paint with paint and photographers paint with light. You need to get more direction in your light. Make a fist and hold it in front of you and do a 360 watching the light as it strikes your fist. When you see a definite light and dark side to your fist have your subject stand in that direction and see if you like the results better. Hope this helps.
    edited April 30, 2010
    Thanks for responding. I actually used a 35 f/2 for these shots. I sold my 18-55 a couple months back (best decision I ever made). I use the 50 and 35 primes now.

I'm going back out this evening to take some more shots so I'll try what you guys said.

Thanks,
    Jake
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Try your 70-200, Jake. Like Hackbone said, position yourself so that you can capture your subject at somewhere in the 80-100 range. I will be anxious to see your results.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
    edited May 1, 2010
    Surfdog wrote: »
    Try your 70-200, Jake. Like Hackbone said, position yourself so that you can capture your subject at somewhere in the 80-100 range. I will be anxious to see your results.

I don't own a 70-200, unfortunately. I only have the 50 and 35. 70-200 is in the near future though.

I went out and took some pics of my friend so I'll get those posted up here.
    edited May 1, 2010
    Ahhhh. I see where you're getting the lenses from. I don't even know how that got there. headscratch.gif I certainly didn't post that. I don't even know how. Sorry for the confusion.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010
    regardless of the lenses you do own/don't own, I think the general consensus is try a longer focal length :D In general (I know I know, there are exceptions) a little longer on the focal length does well for headshots thumb.gif
    edited May 11, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    regardless of the lenses you do own/don't own, I think the general consensus is try a longer focal length :D In general (I know I know, there are exceptions) a little longer on the focal length does well for headshots thumb.gif

Yeah. I owned a 55-200 at one point, and I liked that FL, but the variable aperture got on my nerves. I really want the 85 1.4 and 70-200, but it might be a while before I get those.