where do you buy your frames?

msfmsf Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited May 7, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I was just wondering if anyone had any great sources on frames online.

Michaels has a good selection, and there's usually 40 or 50% off coupons here and there making them a good deal. But I'm looking for square frames and rectangular frames. I know I could make my own, but I don't have the tools or the carpentry space yet.

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    frame destination.

They have it all.

Sam
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    The Michaels here has a great selection of square frames.....luckily Wichita has an over abundance of framing shops....so other than what I get from Michaels of Hobby Lobby I send clients to one of the frame shops.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    msf wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone had any great sources on frames online.

Michaels has a good selection, and there's usually 40 or 50% off coupons here and there making them a good deal. But I'm looking for square frames and rectangular frames. I know I could make my own, but I don't have the tools or the carpentry space yet.

Aaron Brothers has a larger selection of sizes of pre-fabbed frames, including 8x12 and 12x18 frames even. But they don't have as many locations and might not be convenient for you.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »
    Aaron Brothers has a larger selection of sizes of pre-fabbed frames, including 8x12 and 12x18 frames even. But they don't have as many locations and might not be convenient for you.

I like Aaron Brothers as well. I have been picking up one of there standard frames during their penny sales. Buy one regular price get another for a penny! wings.gif

I go big enough to have 4" of matte around the picture. Frame is also about 4" wide which makes for a really nice piece of art.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • msfmsf Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The problem is the stores here are limited. Theres michaels, and a couple other "art" stores, but their frame selection is lacking.

I will probably have to go with online stores. Im looking forward to getting a workshop one day and be able to make my own frames and mattes. :) I took a college class on it a number of years ago, hopefully I wont have forgotten it all by the time I get the workshop. : )
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2010
    msf wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The problem is the stores here are limited. Theres michaels, and a couple other "art" stores, but their frame selection is lacking.

I will probably have to go with online stores. Im looking forward to getting a workshop one day and be able to make my own frames and mattes. :) I took a college class on it a number of years ago, hopefully I wont have forgotten it all by the time I get the workshop. : )

I use 'www.documounts.com' for all of my bags, mats and frames.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    I hate Michaels. They have any frame you want, as long as it isn't THE NATIVE ASPECT RATIO OF 35mm CAMERAS!!! (3:2). I cannot for the life of me understand why it is so hard to find a good selection of 3:2 frames!!!

And if you think you are really saving 40-50%, I have some real estate in Nigeria for sale.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • msfmsf Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    I hate Michaels. They have any frame you want, as long as it isn't THE NATIVE ASPECT RATIO OF 35mm CAMERAS!!! (3:2). I cannot for the life of me understand why it is so hard to find a good selection of 3:2 frames!!!

And if you think you are really saving 40-50%, I have some real estate in Nigeria for sale.

Lets see here, say a frame is regular $20. Then you present the cashier a coupon for 50% off, and they charge you $10, it sounds like you are saving 50% of what you would have paid otherwise. So you must really have real estate in nigeria. :)

I'm not saying their frames are not over priced, and they go on sale for 40% off on a regular basis, and they don't allow coupon's on sale items. But they do have some really nice frames that you cant find elsewhere around here. :)
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2010

I hear ya, LOUD and CLEAR!

While Mike's has a ton of choice, the 3:2 IS lacking. And when they DO have a couple, the pricing is d r e a d f u l.

Also, I find that the glass will scratch VERY easily from a 'gentle' cleaning... And finding one that the wood isn't all dinged up is nearly impossible. In all honesty, if ya don't need 3:2, Wally World will sell better or same, for less or equivalent, than a discounted Mike's.

But even said; there's got to be better.

I'm seriously considering starting up my own frame shop....
    edited May 6, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    While Mike's has a ton of choice, the 3:2 IS lacking.

Ok, I just gotta ask... does ANYBODY have a decent 3:2 selection? Not to my knowledge.
    A former sports shooter
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    Ok, I just gotta ask... does ANYBODY have a decent 3:2 selection? Not to my knowledge.

I is thinking it's a custom shop conspiracy. rolleyes1.gif
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    I order all my frames from... www.pictureframes.com I have ordered around 8 frames with matting and plexi-glass instead of normal glass (they do have normal glass, its just more expensive and plexi looks the same), one of the frames was for a 17x40 pano I took of the hoover dam. They do custom sizes, have a huge selection of styles, have affordable prices, great customer service, and an excellent turnaround time.

Edit - Oh yeah, the frames are really nice too!

Hope this helps.
    Jer
    edited May 7, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    I is thinking it's a custom shop conspiracy. rolleyes1.gif

And a paper conspiracy. :) Seriously, you could easily print an 8x12 at home if you could get photo paper just an inch or inch and a half longer than normal letter sized paper... With normal letter sized paper you can only get an 8x10.
    A former sports shooter
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010

Yes Bill,

Frame Destination.

Sam