Never been Posted

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited April 30, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I took this some weeks ago and although I like it, I did not think it would fly here :dunno
tilted etc etc :D

Yesterday I open my email and there several nice comments about this image (thank you Folks).

So does it Fly?
815021407_TsGpZ-XL.jpg

Comments

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Well, it takes all sorts, and from this curmudgeon's POV the darks are too dark, and the lights are too light, and I'm not sure exactly what is the subject of the picture…

…oh, and it's tilted (although I might be able to live with that… :D )

Thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    I took this some weeks ago and although I like it, I did not think it would fly here ne_nau.gif
    tilted etc etc :D

Yesterday I open my email and there several nice comments about this image (thank you Folks).

So does it Fly?

Was there an earthquake in your area of Florida? Just wondering...rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    Was there an earthquake in your area of Florida? Just wondering...rolleyes1.gif

Wrong side of the country. Isn't Playa del Rey in California?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Yup.
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    I don't mind the tilt... I just mind that there's no clear subject. The very high contrast I don't mind, either.. it doesn't detract from the image really.
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Benjamin, I don't think this one makes it off the runway.

I'm wanting to see more of the pedestrian, but the building seems to be the subject. The high contrast robs me of some necessary detail to make the composition work with the man crossing through the lower left of the photograph.

On top of that, I'm not getting a story nor am I interested enough to try to make one up.

OK, now those who suffer from severe tilt aversion can stop reading. rolleyes1.gif

Although I do not think the photograph works, I confess that there is something pleasing to me in it: the way that the building, the man and the crosswalk work together to create a certain symmetry. The photograph feels like what I think of as an architectural shot.

I'd be interested in knowing whether you framed it with the tilt on purpose (maybe to fit the whole building into the frame from your vantage point - I know you didn't do it just to get a reaction out of BD!) or whether the tilt was done in post.

Tilters of the world unite. We have nothing to lose but our equilibrium. thumb.gif

Virginia

What were you going for?

Email
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    Tough crowd!
    The photo does not tell me a story, but that being said,
    I find it aesthetically (sp) pleasing all the same.
    (and no, the tilt does not bother me)
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    Brewster wrote:
    Tough crowd!
    The photo does not tell me a story, but that being said,
    I find it aesthetically (sp) pleasing all the same.
    (and no, the tilt does not bother me)

Well Yeah they are as they should be but they Love Me mwink.gif

Comments:

Will - Is that the best a Curmudgeon can do :D

B. D. - Stay out of Rutt's Kool-Aid :D

Virginia - 2nd time for you to pretty well nail my thoughts, now stop that will ya rolleyes1.gif

Yes tilted to allow for whole building.
    I am however finding a sloppiness in my work of late, due I think to the little S90.
    I mean geezz you can just hold it any ole way and take a shot.
    Sometimes it works and then again............

There is a method however to my madness.
    That building in its day was a real busy Theatre and I did visit a time or two.
    The light falling on the building (late afternoon) caught my eye and
    then the man crossing street and his Fedora just seemed to fit in.

I do feel comfortable with it as well and thanks All :D
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    hmmm…

…Fedora?

Homburg… surely…

Yes, we do love you Benjamin!

:D

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    Virginia - 2nd time for you to pretty well nail my thoughts, now stop that will ya rolleyes1.gif

Hey, can I help it if we are both tilted? :D

Virginia

Email
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    When I post a photo here that gets six responses I'd rather get three people that like it and three
    people that don't like it than get six "That's nice" replies. Bland = failure. Mixed reaction = provocative.

My take on this one is that I like the building and the tilt. I don't like the obscure - because he's dimly
    lit - figure. Show part of him or all of him, but either let him be seen or let him be cropped out. A single
    figure either contributes or should be left out.

Tilt all your shots and it becomes annoying. Tilt where it works and it works. This one works.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Hey, can I help it if we are both tilted? :D

Virginia

Misery Loves Company :D
  • sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    When I post a photo here that gets six responses I'd rather get three people that like it and three
    people that don't like it than get six "That's nice" replies. Bland = failure. Mixed reaction = provocative.

My take on this one is that I like the building and the tilt. I don't like the obscure - because he's dimly
    lit - figure. Show part of him or all of him, but either let him be seen or let him be cropped out. A single
    figure either contributes or should be left out.

Tilt all your shots and it becomes annoying. Tilt where it works and it works. This one works.
    Well put. My thoughts exactly. Sometimes it takes a second, third or fourth look to appreciate a picture that out of the norm, like a tilted one. Cheers.
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    It works some, but not completely...:lurk You have captured an interesting building at a time with excellent lighting. Thus the compositional elements with the curve, etc., are pleasing. But if tilting, it is not entirely clear that the amount of tilt is what is optimal (or if the shooting angle is the best). I would think this would be worthy of a revisit to try different angles, both tilt and shooting. Perhaps you could turn it into a great photo...
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I dunno. I think it would work better without the tilt. The pedestrian doesn't distract me as much as the tilt does. I think it's the tilt that makes it unclear that the building is the subject; if the frame were aligned with the building, it would probably be obvious that the building was the subject.

But, you know, I could be wrong.

Also, as I always am, I'd be interested to see this image in color. However, in an unusual turn of events, I actually think the shot will probably work better in mono than in color. Mono, combined with the square crop and architectural style of the building, gives this shot a very retro appearance that I find appealing. Except for the tilt, that is.
    TonyCooper wrote: »

Yes, it is. And why do I know that? A little movie from the 80s called Real Genius.

The main characters are getting a burger in a very rough joint, and over at the pool tables a fight breaks out between two of the toughest looking women you ever saw. One guy is watching the fight with rapt attention, and Val Kilmer says, "Want to meet her? She lives in Playa del Rey."

I've said it before - everything I ever wanted to learn about the world, I learned from movies and TV.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"