Options

Pitching myself to small local newspapers.

KixxKixx Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited August 1, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I will be moving shortly, and plan on contacting some of the smaller, local newspapers about taking/submitting photographs for them. I am wondering what the best way to do this would be.

1. Should I simply 'show up' and have a portfolio of 8x10s to show? If so, how many? What variety?

2. Should I call first, try to set up an appointment with the photography person/editor of the paper?

3. Should I email the photography person/editor and give them my website link? (After I clean the website up.)

I am also wondering if anyone is familiar with smaller papers and if their 'freelance' photographers are 'on file' as 'working media'. I would be interested in getting media credentials for certain events (aren't we all?!) that I may not be able to obtain as somebody with no working 'media' relationship.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments

• Options
    PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2010
    1st I hope you aren't going to try to make a living, or really ANY money on doing this... but that NOMB :)

I'd say give a local editor from a city far away (that way if you peeve them off or sound uninformed, you won't be ruining your chances locally) a call and ask them what their preference is. Once you've called a few and feel comfortable doing it locally, then that's also a good way to get yourself noticed instead of simply mailing them something. I'm not in that part of the business, and I'm sure there's a 'standard' but not everyone (especially small local papers) follows standards...
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2010
    1st I hope you aren't going to try to make a living, or really ANY money on doing this... but that NOMB :)

Not counting on a penny. rolleyes1.gif

I should have added this to my OP;

I will not be counting on, or needing this as a source of income.

I'd say give a local editor from a city far away (that way if you peeve them off or sound uninformed, you won't be ruining your chances locally) a call and ask them what their preference is. Once you've called a few and feel comfortable doing it locally, then that's also a good way to get yourself noticed instead of simply mailing them something. I'm not in that part of the business, and I'm sure there's a 'standard' but not everyone (especially small local papers) follows standards...

I like this, thanks!
  • Options
    BiffbradfordBiffbradford Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    Kixx wrote:

I like this, thanks!

I shoot cycling. Local traditional news has very little interest in that sport and seeing a need for coverage, I started my OWN web 'newspaper'! I'm only 5 weeks into the venture so word is just getting out and the view count is steadily climbing. Once the season kicks into full swing, I'll have plenty of viewership of whatever photos I choose from the big events I'll be covering. Gives me, as a photographer, exposure. My photo sales site exposure (from watermarking), and *hopefully* ad sales. :D
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    I shot for a small local newspaper--it was a community paper published once a month. I simply e-mailed the editor and asked if by chance they needed a photographer. Turns out they did and I was "hired." (Never had to meet with the editor, nor show proof of my work.) There was no pay, but in exchange they gave me advertising space and the ability to hand out my business cards whenever I was out. It got me out in the community, made me visible and was a lot of fun. I also took pics for some of the advertisers for the paper and they often asked me to leave my cards in their place of business.

I only worked for about six months until the newspaper ceased publication, but it was fun while it lasted.
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    kd2 wrote: »
    I shot for a small local newspaper--it was a community paper published once a month. I simply e-mailed the editor and asked if by chance they needed a photographer. Turns out they did and I was "hired." (Never had to meet with the editor, nor show proof of my work.) There was no pay, but in exchange they gave me advertising space and the ability to hand out my business cards whenever I was out. It got me out in the community, made me visible and was a lot of fun. I also took pics for some of the advertisers for the paper and they often asked me to leave my cards in their place of business.

I only worked for about six months until the newspaper ceased publication, but it was fun while it lasted.

A newspaper hires a photographer without having to show proof of quality of work, knowledge of photographic or journalistic ethics, or even having an interview? And the industry wonders why it is in decline.... :(
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Kixx wrote: »

I like this, thanks!

I'm sure the people that do will be loving you.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2010
    orljustin wrote: »

...and the people who made horse carriages probably stopped working and living when the car came along. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2010

I'd also appreciate an accurate quote of what I said next time.

Thanks. :D
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2010
    ...and the people who made horse carriages probably stopped working and living when the car came along. thumb.gif

Poor analogy.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010
    I'd also appreciate an accurate quote of what I said next time.

Thanks. :D

That's as accurate as you're going to get. I just used the "reply" button which dumps your whole response in there.

Tell me what part wasn't "accurate".
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2010

As mentioned, that is a poor (although easy enough to throw out there) analogy, and the emoticon doesn't help.

A better analogy would be one where someone had a job that someone else decided to come and do for free because they didn't rely on the money. Can you find one like that? People don't go and pour asphalt for free because it's fun. People don't go dig graves for no money for the thrill of it. See what you can come up with.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    As mentioned, that is a poor (although easy enough to throw out there) analogy, and the emoticon doesn't help.

A better analogy would be one where someone had a job that someone else decided to come and do for free because they didn't rely on the money. Can you find one like that? People don't go and pour asphalt for free because it's fun. People don't go dig graves for no money for the thrill of it. See what you can come up with.

Talk about poor analogies... show me where I said I'd do it for free.

Feel free to quote where I said, "I will not be counting on, or needing this as a source of income", cuz that surely doesn't equate to 'free'.

(Talking generally here, not specifically me) - So, if someone comes along that can produce a product at lower rates than existing producers, the existing producers should develop and harbor an attitude instead of possibly adapting their work to better suit potential clients?

Sorry you dislike emoticons, I likem. wings.gif Besides, if nobody used them, they would just disappear... And that wouldn't be good!!!
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    Talk about poor analogies... show me where I said I'd do it for free.

You didn't. But in all fairness you did say you weren't counting on a penny. Is it really a stretch to think you would do this for free as a result of what you said?

I'm sorry I'm venting at you. I shouldn't be. But I have big problems with the current state of our news industry. :(
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    To answer your question many years ago, probably 2005, I simply sent the editor a link to a gallery of shots of mine and offered my services. They needed a high school sports photographer and the rate was $50 per image published. This was a small town publication, circulation probably about 20,000 issues twice a week. In hind sight I'm a bit amazed at how easy (read: scary) it was to become a photojournalist. :(
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »
    You didn't. But in all fairness you did say you weren't counting on a penny. Is it really a stretch to think you would do this for free as a result of what you said?

I'm sorry I'm venting at you. I shouldn't be. But I have big problems with the current state of our news industry. :(

No worries on the venting, pm sent!
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2010
    The way it works around here is that the newspapers use photo agencies for the day to day work.

Any event is scheduled in advance and the photographers spend as short a time as possible actually at the event before driving to the next. And I mean short - 30 minutes is a long time. It looks more like hard work than it looks like fun.

There are also strict codes of conduct regarding use of press cards. It is definitely not a free entry to any local event of your choice.

I would give the papers you are interested in a call and see what their approach is. The ones here are open to consider freelance work and they will tell you where to post your image and, increasingly, give you an on-screen box to tick as a form of contract. If they choose to print it they will pay you a standard rate (not much) and take the syndication rights. When they have done enough of this - and you'll know likely because the agency lets them down and they call you because they have a problem - you can start thinking about some kind of personal contract, maybe. Most valuable is insight into what their next few issues are intended to cover.