The Buddy System- High Contrast

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited May 1, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I miss doing the high contrast shots so I couldn't resist this one and might as well go all the way with it no? :).

850682438_hMDEU-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    Great shot! There's a lot to look at, but it all adds to the conversation. thumb.gif
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    I look forward to your contributions. I've been busy lately and haven't had a chance to comment,
    but your "Keep Your Imagination" was one of your most interesting. Didn't have that edge you
    often have, but it was a "I wish I woulda" shots. The soft look works here.

This one, though. A bit gimmicky. Too much to take in and nothing to anchor on. It needs
    something to look at that the rest of frame supports.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    rgphoto wrote: »
    Great shot! There's a lot to look at, but it all adds to the conversation. thumb.gif

Thank you Rgphoto--glad it works for you.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited April 30, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I look forward to your contributions. I've been busy lately and haven't had a chance to comment,
    but your "Keep Your Imagination" was one of your most interesting. Didn't have that edge you
    often have, but it was a "I wish I woulda" shots. The soft look works here.

This one, though. A bit gimmicky. Too much to take in and nothing to anchor on. It needs
    something to look at that the rest of frame supports.

A bit gimmicky!!! eek7.gif the hell you say?
    I'm kidding, I know--wasn't going fo gimmicky, but I know what you mean, yet I still love it, go figure.
    Why is it that the extreme high contrast shots make me so happy? IT's like candy for my eyes.

I will say that I debated posting it or not--sometimes it's hard to hear your favorite shots get trashed or worse, get ignored, and I debated putting it here on in "cool shots' only because I felt it didnt' tell much of a story other than two kids in a hallway, but visually I like it so much.

Thanks for commenting Tony and for laying it out there :D.

You know I won't be able to help posting another super high contrast shot again in the future, but I do them seldom now.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Okay, if you tell anyone, I'll deny it... My official stance is "no comment".

(But I actually like this photo. It is not earth-shaking, but it is very pleasing. I like the receding hallway with the light at the end and the tiles reflecting on the floor and the walls. And the busy walls are great visual elements. The two boys are the finishing touch, especially since you caught the moment as they were in the best position to take the shot).
    edited April 30, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    Okay, if you tell anyone, I'll deny it... My official stance is "no comment".

(But I actually like this photo. It is not earth-shaking, but it is very pleasing. I like the receding hallway with the light at the end and the tiles reflecting on the floor and the walls. And the busy walls are great visual elements. The two boys are the finishing touch, especially since you caught the moment as they were in the best position to take the shot).

:D

I've been staring so much at this photo today it's actually giving me a migraine! My brain is rebelling against the high contrast--but that's why Excedrin migraine was invented, so in about an hour I'll be able to lovingly stare at it some more.
    Thanks for commenting Rainbow. Your secret is safe with me.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 30, 2010
    I think it's kind of cool. The blown out areas of the floor make it look flooded. I always chicken out before pushing the contrast so high, but I understand its appeal. thumb.gif
    edited April 30, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    I think it's kind of cool. The blown out areas of the floor make it look flooded. I always chicken out before pushing the contrast so high, but I understand its appeal. thumb.gif

You, chicken out!?
    As Benjamin stated, misery loves company, jump in the water is fine.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    I like it when I 1st look but if I linger to long I start wanting a clearer view, make sense ne_nau.gif

On a side note, Gk's came for visit yesterday. My oldest (13yr old Talleen) thought this was a
    Waaaaayyy Cooool shot and additional thought this school was much cleaner and neater then hers :D
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    I will say that I debated posting it or not--sometimes it's hard to hear your favorite shots get trashed or worse, get ignored,

You know I won't be able to help posting another super high contrast shot again in the future, but I do them seldom now.

Trashed? Oh, I hope lizzards have thicker skin than this. This particular image has a bit too much
    going in it for me and no anchor for the scene, but that's hardly trashing the image.

I do like most of your high contrast stuff, but allow me to not like this particular one.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    It works for me. I like the pattern of the floor and the skating rink effect of the blown out areas. The boys lead my eye down the school corridor nicely. The blown out window at the end gives me a feeling of children walking down a tunnel towards the light. Kinda sci-fi.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited May 1, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    I like it when I 1st look but if I linger to long I start wanting a clearer view, make sense ne_nau.gif

On a side note, Gk's came for visit yesterday. My oldest (13yr old Talleen) thought this was a
    Waaaaayyy Cooool shot and additional thought this school was much cleaner and neater then hers :D

Hi Benjamin,
    Tried to respond to this yesterday as well as some others, but I couldn't log in.

Thank Talleen for me, I believe that's my first official "waaaaayyy cooool" :)
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 1, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    Trashed? Oh, I hope lizzards have thicker skin than this. This particular image has a bit too much
    going in it for me and no anchor for the scene, but that's hardly trashing the image.

I do like most of your high contrast stuff, but allow me to not like this particular one.

Hi Tony,
    No worries about thick/thin skin--I just meant in general,sometimes I know going in that the shot might not be well received, but still I like the shot and so must post.

You are of course allowed not to like this one :)

Couldn't be an active member of dgrin "street" and not have some kind of thick hide no?
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited May 1, 2010
    Patti wrote: »
    It works for me. I like the pattern of the floor and the skating rink effect of the blown out areas. The boys lead my eye down the school corridor nicely. The blown out window at the end gives me a feeling of children walking down a tunnel towards the light. Kinda sci-fi.

Love your take on this Patti.
    Glad it works for you.
    Liz A.
    _________