2nd Curtain Sync on Canon

JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
edited May 7, 2010 in Technique
Why is this not the default? Isn't 2nd curtain what you need the majority of the time?
Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
~ Gear Pictures

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited April 29, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Why is this not the default? Isn't 2nd curtain what you need the majority of the time?

Yep. But it's easy enough to change through a custom function. Do it once and it stays that way. deal.gif
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Scott Kelby says the same. 2nd curtain sync should be the default, when he talks about flash in his books.

JohnBiggs wrote: »
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    If you use the STE2, 2nd curtain is not an option.eek7.gif
    edited May 1, 2010
    PocketWizard's Mini/Flex do 2nd curtain sync on remote flashes, and you can still use the ST-E2 for group ratios with them, though the PocketWizards are doing the remoting of course. They are coming out with a product to do ratios without an ST-E2 which costs less than an ST-E2... hard to belive PocketWizards cost less than anything rolleyes1.gif
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    PocketWizard's Mini/Flex/QUOTE]

Unfortunately for me, I have original pocketwizard Plus II's. Which don't rear sync. Which was a pain when shooting weddings because I'd forget about my flash being set to RCS and have an light on remote flooding the dance floor. Nothing like having a double exposure of people in the same frame.

Glad to see they've improved in their later versions.. now I'll know if I ever get back into weddings!
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2010
    PocketWizard's Mini/Flex/QUOTE]

Unfortunately for me, I have original pocketwizard Plus II's. Which don't rear sync. Which was a pain when shooting weddings because I'd forget about my flash being set to RCS and have an light on remote flooding the dance floor. Nothing like having a double exposure of people in the same frame.

Glad to see they've improved in their later versions.. now I'll know if I ever get back into weddings!
    I have and use a 580 and I always have it in ETTL and use the various stops, but I must admit I don't know if I am in first or second sync. How do I go about making sure it is in the second sync and making it a default?
    Kind regards
    Bob
    edited May 7, 2010
    For the 580EX (I):

On the back (LCD side) of the flash the second button from the right cycles through high speed sync and second curtain sync. Press it a couple of times until you see a kind of tripple arrow head appear (>>>) in the lower left hand side of the display.

If you have a 580EXII and one of the later models of Canon cameras you can set second curtain sync from the camera.

If you are using PocketWizards Mini you set up second curtain sync by configuring the Mini with the PocketWizard software, you don't set it up on the flash unit.

canon400d wrote: »
    How do I go about making sure it is in the second sync and making it a default?
    Kind regards
    Bob
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2010
    For the 580EX (I):

On the back (LCD side) of the flash the second button from the right cycles through high speed sync and second curtain sync. Press it a couple of times until you see a kind of tripple arrow head appear (>>>) in the lower left hand side of the display.

If you have a 580EXII and one of the later models of Canon cameras you can set second curtain sync from the camera.

If you are using PocketWizards Mini you set up second curtain sync by configuring the Mini with the PocketWizard software, you don't set it up on the flash unit.
    Thanks for that Dan very helpful indeed.
    Kind regards
    Bob