Gelling the Flash - what do you think?

kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited April 30, 2010 in People
My parents bought "Thing" shirts (from the Cat in the Hat book) for their four grandchildren, and wanted a picture of them wearing their shirts. It was a sunny day and I decided to gel my flash and experiment... hoping to get it right.

FYI - I have only ever gelled my flash with blue before for deep shade. All photos shot with the flash on camera.

1. This photo was taken with a blue gel on the flash. Sun is coming from about 3 o'clock aimed at my son's left side (camera right).
848547262_WNGWV-L-1.jpg

2. This was not the most ideal spot for a picture as it was in full sunlight, with the kids squinting and shadows present. I had an orange gel on the flash to try to match the sunlight... good idea or bad idea?
848549057_ndvdN-L-1.jpg

3. Here is another from that same spot with orange gel.
848547707_Arxc5-L-1.jpg

4. This spot was my choice... I thought I had a blue gel on my flash to shoot in the shade, and was kicking myself later when I realized that I actually had an orange gel on the flash (I forgot to change the gel). I think I like how it turned out with the orange gel... what do you think?
848551259_86Eiq-L-1.jpg

Any thoughts or tips would be great!! I'm hoping some of our 'gel experts' will chime in with their thoughts an ideas.

PS - My kids are Thing 1 and Thing 3.
Kathleen
www.kdspencer.com

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    I don't see much of color cast on these but I am not convinced you needed the gel at all depending on how strong your flash was set to. Besides the flash work I do think they are all overexposed though.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    over exposed a bit....might even have touch of blue cast on that 1st one...but could just be my monitor.....

other than that well done....the OE could be easily fixed in LR as well as that possible blue cast.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• kdspencerkdspencer Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    Of the 4 images, I think I would fix #3 and dial back the exposure a bit in my Camera RAW editor. The spot on her cheek looks a bit blown out.

In #1, 2, and 4 I actually like the brightness.

Art - I do wonder about the first one and the blue cast you mentioned. I can't decide if it looks okay on my calibrated monitor, or if something isn't quite right in the coloring of it. If it isn't an obvious color cast, then maybe it's just up to personal taste?

Thanks!
    Kathleen
    www.kdspencer.com
  • tpodonnetpodonne Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    kdspencer wrote: »
    Of the 4 images, I think I would fix #3 and dial back the exposure a bit in my Camera RAW editor. The spot on her cheek looks a bit blown out.

In #1, 2, and 4 I actually like the brightness.

Art - I do wonder about the first one and the blue cast you mentioned. I can't decide if it looks okay on my calibrated monitor, or if something isn't quite right in the coloring of it. If it isn't an obvious color cast, then maybe it's just up to personal taste?

Thanks!

I'm not picking up any blue casts in number 1. I think it looks good - It's my fav of the bunch.