40D troubles

RyanKRyanK Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited April 30, 2010 in Cameras
My 40D recently had some trouble with the shutter release button. It misfired and would only open the shutter 1 out of every 4 or 5 'pushes'. This was very frustrating when I was trying to take actions shots of soccer games and I was missing the shots. I had it sent in about 5 months ago to a 'local' Canon repairman and he replaced the shutter button. I don't remember exactly when I did it and how much it cost because I wasn't planning on dealing with it anymore.

That was 5 months ago and it is starting to act up again. I'd prefer to not have the shutter button replaced twice a year. Any thoughts on what I ought to do? I've thought about trading it in for a 50D and cash. I'd consider the 7D and cash but that's out of my price range at the moment. What do you think??

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 29, 2010
    First thing is to check with the local repair person to see if they will replace the shutter button again, possibly for a fraction of the original repair cost. Be nice working with them because they can be your ally when it comes to reporting your problems to the manufacturer.

I suggest that a new shutter switch should have lasted longer than 5 months.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    Yep, that's a pretty common problem, and a real PITA to replace (YouTube for 40d shutter button replace for a video tutorial)... if you paid under $300 to have it fixed, then you got a deal...

But yeah, 5 months is way too short a time - you should contact him again and see what he can do...

Oh, and using bing.com search and an eBay seller and use PayPal, and you get 8% cash back... so a 7d is around $1300 now!
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 29, 2010
    ... Oh, and using bing.com search and an eBay seller and use PayPal, and you get 8% cash back... so a 7d is around $1300 now!

We're getting pretty far OT but I presume you mean this:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/cashback.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    Yes this is a problem I had on a 40D had it repaired works great now. The preview button bottom left stopped working also..
  • PhotoLasVegasPhotoLasVegas Registered Users Posts: 264 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:
    We're getting pretty far OT but I presume you mean this:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/cashback.html

Yep, sure is. They make you jump thru hoops but to save a couple hundred bux, it's worth it.

I've used this on other purchases in the past and they DO put the cashback right in your PayPal account - takes like 30 days tho.

By far the best deal on a 7d out there - just make sure you are buying from a legit buyer and follow EVERY rule to the "T".
    Las Vegas Wedding, Family, and Special Event Photographers.

Canon 7d
    2 Canon 40d
    70-200 f2.8L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f1.8, Tamron 17-55 f2.8, ProOptic 8mm Fisheye
    And a bunch of other stuff ;)
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    RyanK wrote: »
    My 40D recently had some trouble with the shutter release button. It misfired and would only open the shutter 1 out of every 4 or 5 'pushes'. This was very frustrating when I was trying to take actions shots of soccer games and I was missing the shots. I had it sent in about 5 months ago to a 'local' Canon repairman and he replaced the shutter button. I don't remember exactly when I did it and how much it cost because I wasn't planning on dealing with it anymore.

That was 5 months ago and it is starting to act up again. I'd prefer to not have the shutter button replaced twice a year. Any thoughts on what I ought to do? I've thought about trading it in for a 50D and cash. I'd consider the 7D and cash but that's out of my price range at the moment. What do you think??

probably not worth fixing again, start saving for the 7D