Options

What Would You Do?

SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited May 4, 2010 in Cameras
Okay. So here's my situation::

I've just sold all my former camera gear. (Nikon D40:: 18-55 kit, 55-200 VR zoom, and a 35mm f1.8 prime.)

I did this because I found the camera's 6mp sensor meager for cropping, which I happen to do a lot of as a beginner. (Plus, 6mp gets pretty shady for 13 x 19 prints, especially considering a crop.) Also, its lack of in-camera dust-removal was a *big* pain. Anyway, there are plenty more reasons as to why I've sold my gear, but that's another story.

Now the big question:: Does THIS sound like a good deal to you? (Considering that I have a friend with a Costco Membership.)

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11529842&whse=BC&Ne=5000001%204000000&eCat=BC|79|43064|56015&N=4017146&Mo=10&pos=0&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=56015&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10604-Cat83&topnav=

That price is, as far as I can tell, unmatched. I have NEVER seen this gear go this low. In fact, it's so low that I would end up paying nothing to switch. (The selling of all the old gear would cover it.)

---Any thoughts on this?? Looking back at all my old files, it seems that a HEAVY majority of my shots were either taken at a 18mm length or a 200mm length. (Which makes sense, as I shoot equal amounts of landscapes and birds/distant objects). The prime was rarely used, but performed very well when it was.

Ultimately, is this deal just too good to pass up? Or would I be better served through another combination, knowing what you do now about my photographic habits? (Majority being 18mm or 200mm. The extra 100mm on the Sony zoom would probably be great for some of my bird shots...)

****Note::: My budget is very very very tight. I'm a poor college student nearing graduation, and I just don't have much cash. Period.***
Knowing that, I still want to make the smartest purchase I can.

Thanks so much for the read. I look forward to the responses.
---My Photography Homepage---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengford

Comments

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Hi!

Dont know if you would improve much with this set versus what you have but im no expert. you can check costco at resellers: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Costco

seems legit although the customer service leaves wanting.. rolleyes1.gif

goodluck!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    An alternative would be the Pentax K-x. It is being bundled with the 18-55 and 55-300 for $694 at B&H right now with free shipping. The 55-300 is optically quite superior to a typical kit telephoto. You could always add a 1.5X teleconverter later to get additional reach (in very bright light). High ISO performance from the K-x is apparently very good in the entry level class. That will be useful if shooting with a slow telephoto.

Just a thought. The A230 and K-x side-by-side.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Just keep in mind, you're buying into a system. If you decide you really need a (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc.) you're going to have to do what you just did -- sell everything -- in order to back yourself into what you want.
  • Options
    SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Grainbelt wrote: »
    An alternative would be the Pentax K-x. It is being bundled with the 18-55 and 55-300 for $694 at B&H right now with free shipping. The 55-300 is optically quite superior to a typical kit telephoto. You could always add a 1.5X teleconverter later to get additional reach (in very bright light). High ISO performance from the K-x is apparently very good in the entry level class. That will be useful if shooting with a slow telephoto.

Just a thought. The A230 and K-x side-by-side.

This was a great suggestion. However...I'm probably not going to jump for it.

Why?

First, it isn't $694 at BH. It's more like 750 with shipping. So where you got your numbers, I am not sure. But they are wrong.

Second: No AF selection in the viewfinder is a deal-breaker. Period. That's just...sloppy.

Third: Though I really like it's low light capabilities and the increased resolution of the sensor, I find that most of the other enhancements are not ABSOLUTELY essential. Especially given my budget and my gear. Plus, I DO have a copy of Topaz Denoise. I would hope that ISO 800 would become a liable option with this as part of my arsenal. (ISO 1600 on up I could care less about. Not sure if anyone would be taking serious photos at that range. At least to my knowledge.)

If you'd like to argue with me though, please go ahead. :-D If I'm missing something essential, let me know!
    ---My Photography Homepage---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengford
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2010
    If I'm missing something essential, let me know!

You mention that some 'new' features don't interest you - you may find more value buying a used semi-pro body and spending more on glass. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    a canon t2i perhaps? :D
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • Options
    GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2010
    As someone mentioned here, you're buying into a system, not just a camera. This means, you need to be comfortable with (in this case) the Sony and what they can offer to enhance your system as you grow as a photog. It's not mistake most forums are for Canon and Nikon. It's also no mistake most pros shoot Canon or Nikon. Not that there aren't good cameras from other manufacturers available, however, it's VERY easy to find support, used gear, information, etc. regarding Canon and Nikon. Not so easy with Sony (as an example). Just google Canon camera forum, Nikon camera forum and Sony camera forum and you'll see what I mean.

Personally, I'd rather take the money you've got available and buy a used Canon or Nikon if nothing new fits your budget. I think you'll find it much easier to advance due to the readily available information on both companies' products. Not that you can't find it for Sony stuff but you're not going to find it as easy and you certainly won't find as much info available out there.