Canon 7D/PocketWizard/Remote Release Alert

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited May 26, 2010 in Cameras
This is a heads up...

Do not use the PocketWizard CM-N3-ACC remote release cable on a 7D. Once you plug into the camera body you will not be able to remove it.

Details:

You can use a PocketWizard TT5 as a radio remote shutter release. You use the PocketWizard CM-N3-ACC cable to attach the TT5 to the body.

The problem is that the design of the PocketWizard connector is not quite the same as that on the Canon remote release cable. I didn't see this until after I plugged it into my 7D :cry.

The slider on the PocketWizard connector cannot be pushed in because it interferes with the body of the camera. On the Canon connector the end of the slider is tapered in so that it will not interfere with the body. The end of the slider on the PocketWizard connector is square and hits the body so you can't push it in. You have to push in on the slider to release the detents that hold the connector into the socket.

So right now I have a PocketWizard remote release cable in my 7D that I cannot remove. Needless to say I'll be calling PocketWizard support as soon as they open to day. I'll pass on what the results are.

Comments

• Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2010
    Just a follow up. By carefully using a needle I was able to push back the detents on the connector and remove it. clap.gif

The PocketWizard connector, now that I have it out, has the same shape as the Canon one does. However the slider PocketWizard connector has no play in it at all when it is inserted into the socket. On the Canon connector this is a small amount of play, and of course you can remove the Canon connector.

The PocketWizard support folks are doing some tests on with a sample of their cables on the 7D that they have. When they get back to me with the results I'll pass them on.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited April 30, 2010
    Good luck Dan.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 3, 2010
    Word back from PocketWizard is that the remote shutter release connector is undergoing a design review.

Dan
    edited May 26, 2010
    PocketWizard sent me another remote release cable to try. They tested it on the 7D they had in house and it did not get stuck in theirs, but unfortunately it did get stuck in my 7D and I had to do the "push the detents in with a needle" thing again to get it out.

I asked them if they would custom mod a manual Canon release cable I had, which, of course, did not get stuck in the camera, by replacing the trigger button with the plug that goes in the Flex.

They did the custom mod and it works great! clap.gif

So now I have my radio remote shutter release.wings.gif

They could have told me to just return the cable and get a refund but they, I feel, went the extra mile instead.

BTW it took a while to get things resolved, but I found working with LPA\PocketWizard support was really good. I don't feel they were dragging their feet or anything like that, I know that zeroing on a reverse engineered mechanical tolerace problem isn't easy. They sent the replacement cable without me having to send the old one back first. They did the mod on my cable as soon as the got it.

I am very happy with the support experience I had with the people at PocketWizard.thumb.gif

I'm glad I went the PocketWizard route... it's great to talk to someone in support who is in the same building as the product manager and the people doing the repairs.